IGNORED

Would You Change the Golf Channel?

GrandStranded
Note: This thread is 2226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you folks like and dislike about The Golf Channel? Do you like their tournament coverage? Enjoy the studio and instruction shows? What do you think of the on air talent? etc. Basically, I'm interested how you would change things there if you were put in charge, or are you happy with the way things are now? 

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting Topic. I don't have the channel anymore, but when I did I enjoyed the instructional content. I was near a 30 cap around then, so I knew very little so thought everything was good instruction. My views may be different If I watched it now. I think I would love to see a show that showcases courses around the world ....even maybe some lesser known ones. I don't now though...it would be good to hear from people that still watch the channel religiously. 

I watch tournaments on there frequently.

The biggest thing I would change is the comments that are made about the quality of shots the pros make, especially on their approach shots into greens. 

Numerous times whenever I watch, players will be 150+ yds out and put it to 20 feet and the announcer will comment on how it was just an "ok" shot or not a great effort, etc. when in reality, it was a great shot. From 150-175 yds, nobody on tour has averaged closer than 23 feet proximity this season. 

I used to watch the Big Break show a little bit but now I usually just watch the tournaments. I dont watch any of the instructional content.

Occasionally I'll watch Morning Drive on the weekends, but that's mainly just to see the highlights from whatever tournament is happening.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I'm not one to watch the instructional shows either, but I get why they're there. To their credit, they do have top notch instructors hosting them. The first thing I would do is revamp Morning Drive. I used to enjoy waking up in the morning and have Holly Sonders be the first person I saw each morning, LOL. I like Rhymer and Rolfing, but I would change everyone else. To me, they're all a bit bland, and they make it a very hard watch. I'm also interested to see who they replace Kelly Tilghman with in her role there, now that she is gone. 

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

• iacas changed the title to Would You Change the Golf Channel?

I don't watch it much any more. If I could change things, it would be more golf, and less talk. Just more on course coverage. I am not a fan of talking heads.

I'd also like to see more Shell WWOG shows. I would hope they could update it a little using current players. That said I get the feeling today's players would not be interested in one on one competition.

I use to like to watch their instruction videos, but they became repitious, and boring. Some of their instructors talked so fast, the instruction was of little use. 

Once I found more golf, and less talk on You Tube, I moved away from TGC. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I watch tournaments on there frequently.

The biggest thing I would change is the comments that are made about the quality of shots the pros make, especially on their approach shots into greens. 

The biggest thing I would change is the quantity of comments that are made about the quality of shots the pros make, especially on their approach shots into greens.

Sometimes it seems they just can't stop talking.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I know they are probably willing to pay, but I hate the cheesy club ad for easy fixes. I find myself tuning the channel out as the ads are so nauseating.

I only watch for tournament coverage.  Even then, it's littered with too many side stories and ads, and commentary.

I used to enjoy Big Break - even there, though, there's only so much you can do.  The later 'competition' shows - not even a little bit - just advertisements with little entertainment.  Next one is a "top golf" ad?  we'll see how it does.....Im not holding my breath but will try to give it a chance....

and I like Feherty's show.  Not enough to record it, but will watch if I have nothing else going on.

The McLessons and talk shows and the blatant misogyny, etc?  I skip as fast as I can.

Bill - 

More old school golf like Greatest Rounds. I like the SWWG. I'd do less reality shows, morning drive could be shorter and more golf content. Overall it's pretty good but gets bland at time.

Trollin' is the life

My wife complains that every time she turns any tv in the house on The Golf Channel is on.  So yes, I watch it a lot...or would like to if the programming were better.  What would I change?

Have Morning Drive be available " on demand" or have an abbreviated version on at night so those of us that have to work in the morning can watch it at night.  Yes I know I could DVR it but it'd be a better choice at night than watching "The Greatest Game Ever Played" back to back to back for the 8 millionth time.

Loved the Golf Fix...how about more instruction shows like that.

Maybe shows about building clubs, Following people through Q school, Club factory tours,  Clubtests, shows about golf in other parts of the country...

Anything except having to watch repeats of golf movies..."The Squeeze"...seriously.

Playing Lessons from the Pros and Feherty are entertaining as well...good stuff.

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

My wife complains that every time she turns any tv in the house on The Golf Channel is on.  So yes, I watch it a lot...or would like to if the programming were better.  What would I change?

Have Morning Drive be available " on demand" or have an abbreviated version on at night so those of us that have to work in the morning can watch it at night.  Yes I know I could DVR it but it'd be a better choice at night than watching "The Greatest Game Ever Played" back to back to back for the 8 millionth time.

Loved the Golf Fix...how about more instruction shows like that.

Maybe shows about building clubs, Following people through Q school, Club factory tours,  Clubtests, shows about golf in other parts of the country...

Anything except having to watch repeats of golf movies..."The Squeeze"...seriously.

Playing Lessons from the Pros and Feherty are entertaining as well...good stuff.

Some really good stuff here. I think MD needs an overhaul, but your new show ideas have me wishing you were their programing director.  

Edited by GrandStranded
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, burr said:

:-PI miss Holly.

I can't imagine Holly or the Golf Channel being happy with her not being there anymore. Seems like it's been a lose, lose situation for both parties. I know it's been one for me...:cry:

On 3/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, GrandStranded said:

What do you folks like and dislike about The Golf Channel? Do you like their tournament coverage? Enjoy the studio and instruction shows? What do you think of the on air talent? etc. Basically, I'm interested how you would change things there if you were put in charge, or are you happy with the way things are now? 

Good topic. I have really only one complaint I think. Sometimes in the evening they'll be replaying some secondary tournament and not the biggest event going on in the US. I'd like to tune in every night, starting Thursday, and fall asleep with replays...

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I watch the live golf coverage, and I used to watch Big Break when it was still on.

I don’t watch anything else on there.

Extra points in the live golf category for the NCAA Championships the last 2-3 years.  Those are tons of fun to watch!

On 3/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, GrandStranded said:

I like it for the most part. Feherty is good, although he does seem like he's running out of people to interview, and you get to watch a lot of golf from all the different tours. Not a fan of a lot of their instruction content and how they do it but I am looking forward to Brandel's show. Here are shows I would look adding.

- Bring back Playing Lessons with the Pros.

- Traveling type show where someone like Rhymer plays with a celeb or athlete that highlights great courses around the country/world.

- Show where they highlight great rounds and have players provide commentary. 

- Un-biased equipment and training aid testing show....but I think we have a better chance of seeing a Brandel and Tiger road trip show ;-)

• Like 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I’ll see what I can do....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I watch the live golf coverage, and I used to watch Big Break when it was still on.

I don’t watch anything else on there.

Extra points in the live golf category for the NCAA Championships the last 2-3 years.  Those are tons of fun to watch!

I agree 100% with what you said about the NCAA Championships. I've always felt they are missing the boat with their lack of amateur golf coverage. I would love it if they showed live college matches during the early to mid week, similar to how college basketball and football are televised on other networks. I'd imagine the schools would be all for it and be willing to adjust their scheduling to get the coverage. Golf Channel would get a ton of live programing, and we'd get to see a lot more live golf. Maybe even look into airing more high end local sectional events like the Met PGA, and various state Opens.

Note: This thread is 2226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!