NM Golf

Patrick Reed Relief Comment + Waste Area Penalty at the Hero

176 posts / 15394 viewsLast Reply

So I guess Patrick Reed was not happy about not receiving relief and told the rules official, "I guess my name needs to be Jordan Spieth." Comments like that are why he is often on the not so well liked lists.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/19/patrick-reed-refused-free-drop-tour-rules-official-i-guess-my-name-needs-be-jordan-spieth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm fairly indifferent to Reed (except the RC where I love him) but I don't think he meant this in a mean spirited way at all. I think he's just not very good at making jokes. 

After the Spieth comment, he goes on about a third opinion. It did not sound like he was joking light heartedly.

12 minutes ago, skydog said:

I'm fairly indifferent to Reed (except the RC where I love him) but I don't think he meant this in a mean spirited way at all. I think he's just not very good at making jokes. 

I don't know that it was a joke, because he's clearly believing that he should get relief or something, but I didn't take it as poorly as others, either. I don't mind it when people show some emotion. I'd rather have that than the opposite.

From off camera, the rules official asks, "You want a third opinion?" Reed backs off and responds, "Yeah I do. I do want a third opinion. From an unbiased source."

The final, "unbiased source" dig raises an eyebrow. Is there a rotation of PGA Tour Rules officials for all of the tournaments? So is there a chance that Reed saw this same official give Spieth relief in a similar situation?  

What exactly is the story here? Player got upset he wasn't given relief and vented? I don't blame him a bit. I like Patrick. A lot. I think the only "problem" with Reed is he SAYS what others are THINKING. This upsets the same people who complain about the players who give the same canned, rehearsed answers over and over.

32 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

What exactly is the story here? Player got upset he wasn't given relief and vented? I don't blame him a bit. I like Patrick. A lot. I think the only "problem" with Reed is he SAYS what others are THINKING. This upsets the same people who complain about the players who give the same canned, rehearsed answers over and over.

The story is you just don't say things like that on TOUR. Patrick Reed has a fairly long history of being less than likable. He was accused of cheating, stealing, and just being an overall asshole in his college days, but I do think he has relaxed a bit in his time on TOUR. 

I personally don't have an opinion on him except, like others, I like the way he plays in the Ryder Cup.

More on his checkered past: https://deadspin.com/how-patrick-reed-became-golfs-latest-villian-1682766305

Edited by NM Golf

52 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Player got upset he wasn't given relief and vented?

He comes off as a bit of a child in this exchange.  He could easily challenge the ruling by saying something like, "but aren't these movable obstructions?  Other players have gotten relief in similar situations."  Instead he gets all passive aggressive and suggests that he'd be treated differently if he were Jordan Spieth and that the official was biased against him.

59 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I guess in his defense the article does say normally players get relief during that situation.

Reed had more options than just accepting the judgement of a traveling rules official, whether the official was right or wrong.  Reed could have just taken the relief as he thought he was able to and took his case to the committee. He could have also played two balls.

I didn't have a problem with what he said. Its not like he was doing an interview or something. Heat of the moment. Theres probably a hint of truth to it, anyway. 

31 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

The story is you just don't say things like that on TOUR. Patrick Reed has a fairly long history of being less than likable. He was accused of cheating, stealing, and just being an overall asshole in his college days, but I do think he has relaxed a bit in his time on TOUR. 

I personally don't have an opinion on him except, like others, I like the way he plays in the Ryder Cup.

More on his checkered past: https://deadspin.com/how-patrick-reed-became-golfs-latest-villian-1682766305

How would you compare what he said to Tour players dropping F bombs after a poor shot? I heard at least 3 this weekend. Did get a laugh when one was followed with, "He's obviously not pleased with that one..." Personally, I look at it all as heat of the battle stuff.

Edited by GrandStranded

8 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

How would you compare what he said to Tour players dropping F bombs after a poor shot? I heard at least 3 this weekend. Did get a laugh when one was followed with, "He's obviously not pleased with that one..." Personally, I look at it all as heat of the battle stuff.

What he said and an expletive after a bad shot are not quite the same thing. Like I said I don't have a real opinion on him, but what he said makes him come of a bit like a whiner to me. Boo hoo you just don't like me as much as the golden boy. And maybe they don't, I know he has a bit of a reputation out there for being a jerk. I personally don't care one way or another as long as he keeps winning matches in the Ryder Cup.

He really should have said Phil Mickelson instead, after Phil got relief from sprinkler heads literally in bushes in Mexico.

He's frustrated he didn't get relief and said something dumb. So what? It should be a non-story. It's only a story because he had issues with cheating in college.

How many times has he hit into the stands and got that relief the touring pros get instead of being 30+ yards over the green? He is irritated with Spieths drop last year at the open. Spieth didn't make the rules he just has to follow them. He used them to an advantage.

1 hour ago, skydog said:

I don't think he meant this in a mean spirited way at all. I think he's just not very good at making jokes. 

You're probably right, this happen a lot in more than just golf interviews...these can mostly be non-stories unless the news week is light and stories need to be manufactured

Edited by rehmwa

53 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

The story is you just don't say things like that on TOUR.

Maybe they’re true and what he says was accurate.

I don’t have a problem with it. It’s real.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • Good article - I think the impact of point #1, awful drives, is often overlooked. Much more important to avoid par killing drives than to find the fairway at most courses. I question the range on point #4 - most amateur golfers should be focusing on 3-7 feet, not 3-10. The odds of making a 10 footer are too small but most of us can have realistic score improvements if we made more from 5-7 feet.
    • I have seen this by playing with some very unusual golfers over the years. Guys that have what most would consider poor swings, but they know where the ball will go. They have some sort of deep competitive nature or want to score so bad. It is like they can score from sheer will power. Some of it might be ignorance. They don't know what they don't know and just get the ball in the cup. If they saw a video of their swing it might change their game/scores for the worse. I have seen a guy that would line up with body and shoulders maybe 30% to the right of the target line and consistently pull the shot maybe 10 degrees left of target. He would hit a lot of greens and was very competitive with his peers. Another hooded his club at address more than I have ever seen anybody. He would line up for a draw/hook that would be a low runner. He shot 2 over on the 9 holes we played. I worked so hard and concentrated so much to beat him by by one stroke. The most intense 9 holes ever for me. We were playing with 6 other of his regulars and they I know they all wanted him to beat me. I was not going to let the hunchback of Notre Dame beat me. (that is what he looked like in his set up and swing) I knew another guy who had a beautiful set of clubs and had started playing 3 years before. Not an athlete by any means and well into middle age. He shot a 92 with the most consistent slice I have ever witnessed. He stayed right on my heels through most of the round. Don't remember him ever losing a ball. He knew the distances on his clubs and knew where the ball would land and how it would roll. He would line up on the tee well to the left and most tee shots would land in the fairway. Maybe 200 to 210 yards. From a mental perspective he seemed a little like Moe Norman. If you tried to "straighten" out any of them with some instruction I would put money that they would never recover, LOL.
    • Yesterday my brother and I went out and played a course that we haven’t played since March. It’s a slightly easier course than my home course, so I was going into the round thinking I would easily shoot in the 80s. I didn’t, but I wasn’t that far off. I didn’t hit the ball great on the front, but was able to hang in there and shoot 46. Two highlights: •I chunked my tee shot on the par-5 fifth and didn’t even reach the dogleg, but I was still on the green in four. I rolled in my difficult six-footer for par. That was a confidence-builder, since I almost never play that hole well. •I had about 145 in on the ninth hole, off a slight downhill lie. 8I again to four feet. This may have been the best shot of the day (my approaches on 17 and 18 are also solid contenders), but I unfortunately missed the birdie putt. The back nine was better, and I actually walked to the seventeenth tee needing to birdie one of the last two holes to keep it under 90. Both were good opportunities, the 17th being a reachable par 5 (453 whites), the 18th a short par 4 (354 whites), but the seventeenth is the better chance. My drive wasn’t quite long enough to have a good shot at the green, so I laid up with a 3/4 9I (there’s a small pond about 100 yards short of the green), which left me about 135 yards into the wind. I decided to hit a knockdown 8I, and it came off perfectly and settled eight feet out, exactly pin-high. Grazed the edge with my birdie putt, which left me with a tap-in par. Although I wanted the birdie, I was satisfied, because I hit three good shots to give myself a legit birdie chance, and I hit a good putt. I wanted a three on the eighteenth hole, which would give me 89. My last drive found the last fairway, and I had about 140 to the pin. I went with the 8I again, full swing this time. As soon as I let it fly, I knew it was gonna be good. Twelve feet out. I knew I had another chance. However, I seemed to forget that putts from above the hole on this particular green tend to slide quite a bit if you missed it long. I had the line perfectly, but I gave it too much gas, and it rolled past and just kept on rolling until I had a longish par putt. I lined up my eight-foot par putt and missed it, so I tapped in for an ugly three-putt bogey to finish at 91. With the exception of that three-putt, I played the last two holes very well. For some reason during this round, and it’s not because of my fade, I had a tendency to lose my iron shots to the right, which was frustrating because that isn’t normal for me. I didn’t hit them poorly at all, I just pushed them a bit.  My brother played his first full eighteen in about three months, and he was doing pretty well until he pulled a muscle in his leg on the 14th tee. I still don’t know how that happened. I thought he was gonna quit right there, but he didn’t. He battled on, and managed to hang in there until the 17th. After he putted out, he told me he was done. So he sat out the last hole and watched me play it.  Im probably only gonna play one more time before Saturday, which is when I’m playing my “birthday round”. I mentioned on this forum about this time last week that I was playing Lonnie Poole, but my dad went on the website last Friday, and the earliest tee time we could’ve gotten was around 2:30, meaning, because it’s typically a busy course, we probably weren’t going to get all 18 holes in.  So I looked on the list of courses I made just in case we couldn’t play Lonnie Poole, and the course that stuck out to me the most was UNC Finley. I remember when I was in middle school, I had a friend who played there a lot, and he said it was a great course. We were able to get a tee time there, for 11:24. I’m looking forward to it!
    • You are overthinking it. You are basically going to have such similar shafts by hard stepping the 6.5 or softing the 7.0 (both in flex and more importantly in weight), that if you can hit one, you can hit the other or vise versa. You will get much more definitive results from bending the lofts to adjust trajectory.  You would really need to move into a different weight class before I would say you would see any noticeable difference over the long haul between shafts.
    • Coincidentally, this article came out and lists a lot of what we say in LSW and so on. Scoring lower again involves: Not taking penalty shots. Not taking doubles or, when you get better, not making a bad bogey. (You're still going to make some bogeys.) Playing for pars and letting the birdies happen is tough for people to get. Understanding where to miss the ball and fitting the "better side" into your shot pattern/Shot Zone. The last part answers your question of sorts: If you can develop a ball that only curves or misses one direction, that's a pattern. You can play a patterned Shot Zone much more easily than you can play a "fern" Shot Zone (where the shots have a root and then spread out in all directions from there, two dimensionally, like a fern). I'm not sure what "fighting" a one-way miss means - if the vast majority of your shots are, for example, missing left, either open the face to take off some of that left miss/curve or just aim right and play it. If there's trouble left, aim WAY right. The smart-player's guide to dropping 10 shots — guaranteed Improving at golf doesn't require hours of range time. Recreational players just need to take advantage of the stat-based scoring opportunities out there.    
  • TST Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Aldo Aitken
      Aldo Aitken
      (30 years old)
    2. Also Aitken
      Also Aitken
      (30 years old)
    3. CJK
      CJK
      (62 years old)
    4. Coffin-dodger
      Coffin-dodger
      (70 years old)
    5. Greg55
      Greg55
      (65 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...