IGNORED

Putting Issues

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 2212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After watching Rory putt great to win the API, and having some putter issues lately myself, I'm starting to realize (I think) that I have been too focused on my stroke and less focused on just making the putt. I have never been a huge fan of specific "putting mechanics" but I am curious about any ideas/opinions that the forums might have. I have not been putting well recently (partly due to just not enough practice and partly do to very different green conditions on the courses that I have played recently). I am hoping to pick something up that maybe works for you?!?!

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's a lot of advice here about putting, but its hard to know where to start without more descriptions.  Can you read the putts, can you hit it on your intended line, can you hit it your intended distance?  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

If you discribe your misses on a relatively level, straight putt, perhaps others can give you some info on what might be going wrong. 

I dug out my old Pelz Putting Bible just yesterday to reaquaint myself with the clock face over the hole info, and the centerline of the high to low point from 12 to 6.  Helps me with reading breaks.

Other times when my putting goes sour, I will switch hands on the grip. If I am using the left hand low grip, I might switch to right hand low, or vice versa. 

My best drill is laying a small coin on ground, a foot or so in front of the ball, on a level, straight putt, and rolling the ball over it. Shows me I am hitting a straight putt. (hitting my line)

Alot of things can go wrong with one's putting game. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Distance control sounds like an issue since u mentioned playing on a lot of different greens.  Not sure how to help on that.

I saw big improvements in my putting when I did 2 things...

1.  Set up:  Set the putter on the line with my right hand ( I'm right handed), get myself aligned then put the top hand on and go.

2.  Fit my putter for shaft length and lie angle.  This was huge...my putter is now 32".

• Administrator

@Bucki1968, if speed is your issue, have you read one of the better topics here?:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 hours ago, iacas said:

Bucki1968, if speed is your issue, have you read one of the better topics here?:

Yes, I think speed has been more of the issue than reading the line. It seems like (recently) that the green speeds on the courses that I have been playing is all over the place. I know that part of that is due to the weather this winter in the Tampa area. Some green actually have grass and some don't . Some courses have half grass and half no grass so I think that some of these putts are actually two different speeds. My home course does not over seed so they are lighting fast and smooth. I'll read through the article and see what happens. It seems like my putting problems are more on the "lag putting" side. I can still knock the them in inside of 6 feet. Once I get past 12-15 feet.....:pound:

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

At the start of this winter season, I was putting really well.  Over the past few weeks, playing the same courses, my putting has been poor.  I haven't changed anything I'm aware of; still use the same grip/stroke, routine, ball line mark, etc.  The only thing that has changed recently is my new/used driver - which has been helping my score.  Maybe I've been focusing so much on driving the ball that I'm subconsciously not focusing enough on my putting.  Then again, perhaps there is simply a greater power that only allows all parts of the game to stay in harmony only every so often. 

The only tip I can offer is a routine I practice on the practice greens.  I lag 3-4 balls from about 20' then putt all from the ball furthest out. I repeat that for any not made on the 2nd putt.  Because I hate leaving those 2-3' "knee knockers", it seems to help me focus on not leaving any outside that range.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• Administrator

Putting from 20’ is almost pointless.

Putt from closer in or farther out.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not pointless for me as I more often find myself 15-20' out on the first attempt.  Also, when the practice green is being used by others, it can get a bit challenging practicing lags too much longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

On 3/21/2018 at 9:46 AM, Bucki1968 said:

After watching Rory putt great to win the API, and having some putter issues lately myself, I'm starting to realize (I think) that I have been too focused on my stroke and less focused on just making the putt. I have never been a huge fan of specific "putting mechanics" but I am curious about any ideas/opinions that the forums might have. I have not been putting well recently (partly due to just not enough practice and partly do to very different green conditions on the courses that I have played recently). I am hoping to pick something up that maybe works for you?!?!

Pick a spot a foot in front of the ball that your trying to get it over on your putt, and just hit it. Putting ain't hard, people just overcomplicate it especially Johnny Miller, who wasn't one of the best on Tour anyway.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Not pointless for me as I more often find myself 15-20' out on the first attempt.  Also, when the practice green is being used by others, it can get a bit challenging practicing lags too much longer.

It’s still actually pretty pointless.

And I doubt you’re 20 feet out very often. That’s a tremendous approach or a horrible short game shot.

You should almost never practice 15-25’ putts.

Detailed more in LSW.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

It’s still actually pretty pointless.

And I doubt you’re 20 feet out very often. That’s a tremendous approach or a horrible short game shot.

You should almost never practice 15-25’ putts.

Detailed more in LSW.

If that's his approach shots, I want to know how he's doing it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

47 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

If that's his approach shots, I want to know how he's doing it.

Aim for the flag with the goal of being inside 20' :-D.

31 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Aim for the flag with the goal of being inside 20' :-D.

Well yeah, but there are tucked pins and such, that I ain't shooting at. The leader on Tour is the low 30s on all approaches. I'm trying to figure out how to shoot at the center of every green via "Smart Targets"

But that's not related to the topic in reality. 

@Bucki1968 My four-year-old Alina, would tell you to putt this way. Just line it up and rock the baby. Alina putts better than I do. Not even kidding. I'm not bad. You're a better putter than you probably give yourself credit for. Putting is a relatively simple motion. I'd rather have a putting contest for my life with DJ, than a closest to the pin. You're a better putter than you realize. Most people overcomplicate it way too much, it's the easiest motion in the game. Back and through. And for gosh sake don't accelerate... @iacas promotes deceleration. I just try to keep my stroke the same speed back and through. I sometimes will set a metronome (while practicing) to about 55 bpm to get my putting stroke correct. Longer putt, longer stroke, maybe 2 beats back and 2 beats through. (I play guitar so I own a metronome, if you don't own one they are fairly cheap.) It's easily overcomplicated by Johnny Miller, Faldo, all of the lead analysts, and it's really not that difficult. I'm not saying go up and putt like you don't give a shit. I'm saying just tell yourself, if you're committed to read, bead, and speed it's easy... You got this. Have fun with it. I hope this helps.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yup! The pros practice lots of short putts. I believe Phil does his "clock" putting routine from about 4 feet! This does two things. When you really need that 4 footer you have confidence that you can make it. Also, it is psychologically good to see the ball go in the hole time after time.

I read an article years ago about when Dottie Pepper was on the LPGA Tour. At the end of a practice day her routine was to make 3 consecutive putts from 3 feet, 5 feet, and 7 feet! 9 putts in a row from those distances before she could call it a day.

2 hours ago, fishgolf said:

As do most Tour pros! Just take a look at the "make" percentages the next time you watch a tourney telecast. Of course they are trying to make it, and sometimes they do, but I'd bet the make percentage from 20' is well under 50%!

And if the practice green is crowded don't putt at a hole, putt to the fringe instead. Try to get the ball to die right at the fringe! What you want is an easy 2 putt. Pick both uphill, downhill, and sidehill putts once you get the speed of the green figured out.

One thing that frosts my pumpkins is when the speed of the practice green is completely different from the greens on the course! That can hose you up for quite a while!

• Like 1

The one thing I realized about my putting is that I get into big of a rush to putt. I tell myself to take your time, and take a breath if you have to just to slow yourself down. Ive even been known to listen to myself now and then.

On 2018-03-21 at 6:46 AM, Bucki1968 said:

I gone entirely too much with “playing “ putting stroke instead of focusing making putts when I am at the course 

I like practising 5-10 footers ,learn the speed of the green , accept that I can’t will all of the them into the hole 

I want to be fast at putting so there’s less chance to freeze up however I know I weak on the left to right breakers so I spend a bit more time preputt routine to imagine the hole going into the hole in my mind 

Note: This thread is 2212 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!