IGNORED

Wedges.... my nemesis

Note: This thread is 2129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I still can't figure out wedges.  Is there something big that I am missing?  

Ever since I picked up a club I've been able to hit a driver fairly well, probably cuz I knew how to hit up on the ball and carry it far.  Irons I've slowly gotten better with.  But I just can't seem to get wedges.  I dedicated last year at trying to get better with "scoring" clubs thinking my main issue was that I was incapable of partial swings.  Now I'm learning its much more than that.  I spent the last two days at the range and again every club in the bag was great except my 50* yesterday and 56* today.  My biggest fear and my most common miss is sending the ball 150 yards or more which after today I am pretty sure is due to casting.  I'm really trying to keep the club behind me now and that has helped with the flyers although I still had some.  Also I just can't seem to hit it consistently whatsoever.  Strike behind the ball, no similar flight, some high with lil spin, others too low and high spin, others just straight shanks.

The thing that sucks is everyone I know has a gaming swing that can get it done on the course.  I'll pound a 300 yd drive step up with my SW and shank it.  I've been watching and reading as much as I can on wedges and really haven't gotten any tips that would help me hit it consistently.  I have a fairly good swing (I'll post it when I get the chance) and there is no way you would think I'm as bad as wedges as I am, but I can't figure it out.  Is there a simple tip I can focus on to get good contact with my wedges?  

Like I used to suck at chipping, and the no decel really helped.  Driver I just swing through it.  Wedges at the range I came in open minded and left sweating and tight.  I feel like I have to control the club through the whole path (obvious in golf, right) but the effort was too much even tho I'm a fit 27 y/o guy.  Like I said driver I tee up and swing hard- good results, irons I just focus on the ball and a spot to hit it and it goes fairly straight.  Wedges I was trying everything and no dice.  What am I missing here?

Might be good to start a swing thread if you haven't yet.

Without seeing your move I'd recommend looking at these threads.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will second what @mvmac has stated/shared. The “quickie pitching” video has changed my game inside 100 yards and I have only been utilizing the technique for about a month now. I actually am starting to look forward to pitch shots now, and feel like I am gaining strokes on my usual playing buddies when I have one in my hands. 

Definitely look at the quickie pitching video and flighting wedges threads.  Quickie pitching totally changed my game around the green, and honestly I can use the feels/techniques I use inspired from that video up to swings with a back swing up to A3 (lead arm parallel to ground on back swing) and get up to maybe 70% full swing distance that way.  

And the flighted wedge technique I can game but is not nearly as well instilled as the pitching.  But it's still often my most reliable scoring club shot, and it goes 90+% my full swing distance. 

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

37 minutes ago, The Hook Meister said:

It sounds like you might be pressing a little bit due to frustration. been there. What I did was to relax a bit, Slowed  down my back swing and that seemed to help.

Thanks for the vids but I’m more referring to 3/4 to full swings with the wedges, not pitches. Although it sounds like these techniques carry into full swings so I will watch them. 

But it yeah hook meister that occurs as a result. Like I said I really tried to stay cool thru the wedges at my range session to no avail and felt stiff at the end. I did start slowing down the backswing and that helped some. I think I will go to that more and see how that works out for me.  I plan on getting a membership this summer and wedges will be my main priority so I will start a swing thread to see my progress. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Ladysmanfelpz said:

Thanks for the vids but I’m more referring to 3/4 to full swings with the wedges, not pitches. Although it sounds like these techniques carry into full swings so I will watch them.

"Quickie Pitching" is not a 3/4 or full swing method, and the technique does not bleed over. It's almost the opposite of many things that you want to do on a good wedge swing (3/4 to full).

Start a Member Swing topic, man. With good video from the right angles.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just guessing here, but is it possible the OP is using the same swing for his weges, as he is with his driver? Maybe not hitting down enough?

Are you taking any divots in front of the ball?

Maybe releasing the club too early in the down swing losing your wrist cock, which is allowing the club face to pass the hands prior to ball impact?

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

No way to know unless we can see his swing.

As for me, my buddy informed me that I was just "flipping" the club behind my back on shorter than full wedge shots, leading to shanks! Once I got my hands and arms going back on the correct path, the shanks disappeared!

On 4/19/2018 at 8:41 PM, Ladysmanfelpz said:

So I still can't figure out wedges.  Is there something big that I am missing?  

Ever since I picked up a club I've been able to hit a driver fairly well, probably cuz I knew how to hit up on the ball and carry it far.  Irons I've slowly gotten better with.  But I just can't seem to get wedges.  I dedicated last year at trying to get better with "scoring" clubs thinking my main issue was that I was incapable of partial swings.  Now I'm learning its much more than that.  I spent the last two days at the range and again every club in the bag was great except my 50* yesterday and 56* today.  My biggest fear and my most common miss is sending the ball 150 yards or more which after today I am pretty sure is due to casting.  I'm really trying to keep the club behind me now and that has helped with the flyers although I still had some.  Also I just can't seem to hit it consistently whatsoever.  Strike behind the ball, no similar flight, some high with lil spin, others too low and high spin, others just straight shanks.

The thing that sucks is everyone I know has a gaming swing that can get it done on the course.  I'll pound a 300 yd drive step up with my SW and shank it.  I've been watching and reading as much as I can on wedges and really haven't gotten any tips that would help me hit it consistently.  I have a fairly good swing (I'll post it when I get the chance) and there is no way you would think I'm as bad as wedges as I am, but I can't figure it out.  Is there a simple tip I can focus on to get good contact with my wedges?  

Like I used to suck at chipping, and the no decel really helped.  Driver I just swing through it.  Wedges at the range I came in open minded and left sweating and tight.  I feel like I have to control the club through the whole path (obvious in golf, right) but the effort was too much even tho I'm a fit 27 y/o guy.  Like I said driver I tee up and swing hard- good results, irons I just focus on the ball and a spot to hit it and it goes fairly straight.  Wedges I was trying everything and no dice.  What am I missing here?

You and I have similar issues. Think of it this way. Though @iacas and @mvmac will disagree with me. Whether you're swinging a putt or a driver, you're using a swinging hit. 

I'm going to give you a small piece of wisdom, a scratch golfer gave me when I was about 13 or 14. Hold the club, like you would hold your wife or girlfriend's hand. I was gripping too tight, and Craig my instructor (whom I've known since I was a teenager).

"Shane, hold the club, like you're holding Alina's hand while crossing the street." (Alina is my eldest daughter). 

The golf club only weighs sixteen ounces, you don't need to strangle it to control it. Caress the club just gentle pressure, you don't even need the 3 to 4 most instructors tell you. Just enough pressure to have control but feel the weight of the head of the golf club. 

Try that with your wedges and sand wedges. Make sure you can feel the weight of the head, use a swinging hit. Head steady, not still or rigid. A little movement is ok, even rotational movement toward the target after impact is acceptable. Swinging hit, not hitting swing.

Hope this helps.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
5 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I'm going to give you a small piece of wisdom, a scratch golfer gave me when I was about 13 or 14. Hold the club, like you would hold your wife or girlfriend's hand. I was gripping too tight, and Craig my instructor (whom I've known since I was a teenager).

"Shane, hold the club, like you're holding Alina's hand while crossing the street." (Alina is my eldest daughter). 

The golf club only weighs sixteen ounces, you don't need to strangle it to control it. Caress the club just gentle pressure, you don't even need the 3 to 4 most instructors tell you. Just enough pressure to have control but feel the weight of the head of the golf club.

We disagree because we know the facts here. Though the clubs weigh very little, they generate tremendous outward forces on the hands. Grip the club lightly at all and it flies out.

The force is around 100 pounds.

When you’re swinging Alina around you are holding on to her much tighter than when she’s walking next to you, generating nearly no forces on your hands.

Feel ain’t real man.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

We disagree because we know the facts here. Though the clubs weigh very little, they generate tremendous outward forces on the hands. Grip the club lightly at all and it flies out.

The force is around 100 pounds.

When you’re swinging Alina around you are holding on to her much tighter than when she’s walking next to you, generating nearly no forces on your hands.

Feel ain’t real man.

But you shouldn't strangle the club either. Just enough to control the outward forces. 

Good example, though of how that works though, with a 40 pound 4-year-old you're probably exerting a tremendous amount of outward force.

The point I was trying to get at, is he may have too much tension in his hands while he's gripping the club for a wedge shot. It's hard to hit a solid shot, if your hands, wrists, and forearms are tense... You want them relaxed. Just enough pressure to control the club. That's the way I think of it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

19 hours ago, Patch said:

Just guessing here, but is it possible the OP is using the same swing for his weges, as he is with his driver? Maybe not hitting down enough?

Are you taking any divots in front of the ball?

Maybe releasing the club too early in the down swing losing your wrist cock, which is allowing the club face to pass the hands prior to ball impact?

This.  Although I have come to realize that and am working on it.  Flipping the head through creates tremendous speed, and that is why my good wedges are pro like shots with great spin, but misses are 150 yd fliers.  I'm really trying to keep it behind me and watch contact all the way through.  

And to onthehunt I've heard this 1000x.  Hold it like a baby bird.  Does help you realize its a game of feel and you need to stay relaxed to hit good shots, but through the years I've come to side more with iacas.  Soft grip at the start, but in the swing you need to hang on to prevent that grip from sliding around.  

But again to Patches thoughts I do notice I try to swing up on it, but working on that divot in front.  I do take one most of the time, even with a flip, but I think my clubhead coming thru so fast with no control still causes flyers.  So is there a simple tip or drill I can work on?  Should I just do 3/4 steep swings until I'm hitting it solid every time?  Or tee it up and practice that way?  I think just getting solid feedback would help on good contacts since I am getting such little off the ground.  Also I'm practicing on pretty hard pan stuff fwiw.  

• Administrator
10 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

But you shouldn't strangle the club either. Just enough to control the outward forces.

That's not what you said. You said like you're holding your daughter's hand while walking with her. No - much, much more firmly than that.

10 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

The point I was trying to get at, is he may have too much tension in his hands while he's gripping the club for a wedge shot. It's hard to hit a solid shot, if your hands, wrists, and forearms are tense... You want them relaxed. Just enough pressure to control the club. That's the way I think of it.

I don't agree. But there's an asterisk… the hands can be incredibly firm, squeezing quite a bit… the trick is to not let that go into the wrists and up into the forearms.

On 1/3/2012 at 4:12 AM, iacas said:

One thing amateurs do tend to get a bit "firm" with is in their wrists and forearms. What skilled golfers have learned to do is have relatively soft wrists, forearms, elbows, and biceps/triceps, and shoulders with a firm grip. The grip is primarily in the fingers and part of the palm muscles. The "firmness" stops at your wrist.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't agree. But there's an asterisk… the hands can be incredibly firm, squeezing quite a bit… the trick is to not let that go into the wrists and up into the forearms.

It's hard to for an amateur to be firm with their hands, but relaxed with their wrists, arms, and shoulders. 

I personally can't grip the club firmly and have loose "swingers". I tense up too much. I put the pressure where it needs to be to control the club, whether it's firm or not, I don't know.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

It's hard to for an amateur to be firm with their hands, but relaxed with their wrists, arms, and shoulders. 

From my experience, not if the grip lies in the fingers properly. Think of holding a hammer, it's firm in the fingers/hand but your arm, wrist and shoulder are mobile enough to hammer the nail.

Mike McLoughlin

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

From my experience, not if the grip lies in the fingers properly. Think of holding a hammer, it's firm in the fingers/hand but your arm, wrist and shoulder are mobile enough to hammer the nail.

Ok, so not holding Alina's hand while walking. How about shaking hands with a perspective boss/employee?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

17 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Ok, so not holding Alina's hand while walking. How about shaking hands with a perspective boss/employee?

A very firm handshake is about right. The example with hammering a nail is also about right. 

With my grip someone couldn't pull the club out of my hands. I would be strangling the baby bird.

Also this,

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 2129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!