IGNORED

12 HS players DQ’d from Tournament

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Nwehrman said:

Essentially the officials made a mistake forgetting to move the markers, which in turn caused some of the golfers to make a mistake hitting from the wrong area. The kids get punished by being DQ’d, the officials can hide behind the Rules of Golf. Justify it however you want, it’s not right. 

No...the kids get punished for not following the rules of golf. Pretty simple. In the same way that if an adult said "Ah...pick it up, that's good" and he/she did in a stroke event. Not being old enough to drive does not mean you are excused for not following an obvious and very basic rule of golf.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

11-4b: http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-11,11-4

Or just look it up and then you'll learn a little! :-)

I knew that was coming, probably deservedly so. ;-)

For the record, I knew the rule at some point, it's just that I forgot it (you'll see that happens as you get older!): I mean the situation does not happen all that often... if you overlook the guy teeing an inch in front of the markers every weekend. Ah!

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Nwehrman said:

Essentially the officials made a mistake forgetting to move the markers, which in turn caused some of the golfers to make a mistake hitting from the wrong area. The kids get punished by being DQ’d, the officials can hide behind the Rules of Golf. Justify it however you want, it’s not right. 

No, the kids, ahhhh, @Shorty said it:

20 minutes ago, Shorty said:

No...the kids get punished for not following the rules of golf. Pretty simple. In the same way that if an adult said "Ah...pick it up, that's good" and he/she did in a stroke event. Not being old enough to drive does not mean you are excused for not following an obvious and very basic rule of golf.

There it is.

Kids need to learn lessons. This likely taught them one of those types of lessons.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I’m not trying to debate the rules with you guys. I imagine you guys could all recite the rule book in order word for word front to back. Which is great and all but that’s not really my point. It’s a shitty situation for the kids. If I was in charge, the official who was supposed to move the markers wouldn’t have a job. Is that fair? I think we can all agree that if they had moved them to the correct spot there would be no issue but since he didn’t here we are. So the kids get DQ’d for not following the rules of golf, should whoever was supposed to move the markers be fired for not doing their job?

31 minutes ago, Nwehrman said:

I’m not trying to debate the rules with you guys. I imagine you guys could all recite the rule book in order word for word front to back. Which is great and all but that’s not really my point. It’s a shitty situation for the kids. If I was in charge, the official who was supposed to move the markers wouldn’t have a job. Is that fair? I think we can all agree that if they had moved them to the correct spot there would be no issue but since he didn’t here we are. So the kids get DQ’d for not following the rules of golf, should whoever was supposed to move the markers be fired for not doing their job?

No. Whoever moved/set/the tees/told the kids incorrectly is/are not the final say in such matter. The player is. Had they simply looked for the blue tees and played from them this whole issue never would’ve happened. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No. Whoever moved/set/the tees/told the kids incorrectly is/are not the final say in such matter. The player is. Had they simply looked for the blue tees and played from them this whole issue never would’ve happened. 

If the person in charge of placing the tee markers had put them in the right spot this whole issue would have never happened.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Nwehrman said:

If the person in charge of placing the tee markers had put them in the right spot this whole issue would have never happened.

Oh brother.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, Nwehrman said:

The markers were fine. Had the players played from the blue tees, it wouldn’t matter where they were placed. The issue wasn’t improperly placed blue tees! They wouldn’t have been faulted as that would not be their fault. They didn’t play from the blue tees, the correct tees. Got it?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, Nwehrman said:

@iacas They didn’t assume the markers were in the wrong spot. The markers WERE in the wrong spot. They hit from where they were supposed to hit as per the official tournament scorecard. 

If you want to lay some blame on the kids that’s fine but the fact is someone in charge messed up. Whether it was not moving the tees or not having the right distance on the scorecard, and they handled it terribly by punishing the kids. 

When you're in a hole, stop digging.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

2 hours ago, Nwehrman said:

And if it had snowed that day they wouldn't have played. Does that make it easier to accept blame where it's due? Thought not.

3 hours ago, Nwehrman said:

I’m not trying to debate the rules with you guys. I imagine you guys could all recite the rule book in order word for word front to back. Which is great and all but that’s not really my point. It’s a shitty situation for the kids. 

I don't want to diminish the disappointment these kids must feel after a pretty lousy set of circumstances led to their dis-qualification. But you could argue that - taking the long run view - this could actually benefit them in the long run. 

My suspicion is that each of those 12 will be diligent about reading the rules sheets for all future tournaments. And more than willing to question or think for themselves when they are given information that contradicts the rules as they understand them. 

The bottom line is that this sort of stuff happens all the time. I have been given bad rules information more frequently than I care to admit - usually by people that have been playing the game for far longer than I have. If this experience gives these kids the confidence to think for themselves, learn the rules and trust their own knowledge, then I suspect it will be a net positive by the end of their golfing lives.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

And if it had snowed that day they wouldn't have played. Does that make it easier to accept blame where it's due? Thought not.

Alright man. Technically by the rulebook they deserved a DQ. You win. Stupid kids. But we just ignore the fact that a tournament official, in a state tournament no less, didn’t do their job? 

18 minutes ago, Nwehrman said:

Alright man. Technically by the rulebook they deserved a DQ. You win. Stupid kids. But we just ignore the fact that a tournament official, in a state tournament no less, didn’t do their job? 

You still aren't getting it are you? Players have to do their job. I have never heard of people looking at a scorecard to work out where tees should be.

BTW - I'm not interested in "winning" with a kid who is clearly intelligent and very articulate.  Hopefully a lesson or two has been learnt.

Edited by Shorty

After reading through the golf digest article it sounds like the kids did pretty much everything correct. They weren't sure so they asked a nearby coach. The coach asked a rules official just to make sure and that official told them to hit from the red tees. So assuming this is true, and it sounds like almost 20 different coaches and players from multiple schools say it is, then what? Apparently for one of the groups that got disqualified, they were about to hit from the blues when that rules official stopped them and told them they were playing from the reds on that hole.

6 hours ago, Nwehrman said:

After reading through the golf digest article it sounds like the kids did pretty much everything correct. They weren't sure so they asked a nearby coach. The coach asked a rules official just to make sure and that official told them to hit from the red tees. So assuming this is true, and it sounds like almost 20 different coaches and players from multiple schools say it is, then what? Apparently for one of the groups that got disqualified, they were about to hit from the blues when that rules official stopped them and told them they were playing from the reds on that hole.

Oh goodness.....

8 hours ago, Big C said:

I don't want to diminish the disappointment these kids must feel after a pretty lousy set of circumstances led to their dis-qualification. But you could argue that - taking the long run view - this could actually benefit them in the long run. 

My suspicion is that each of those 12 will be diligent about reading the rules sheets for all future tournaments. And more than willing to question or think for themselves when they are given information that contradicts the rules as they understand them. 

The bottom line is that this sort of stuff happens all the time. I have been given bad rules information more frequently than I care to admit - usually by people that have been playing the game for far longer than I have. If this experience gives these kids the confidence to think for themselves, learn the rules and trust their own knowledge, then I suspect it will be a net positive by the end of their golfing lives.

Good post Colin. It seemed from the article that the kids took a very mature approach in accepting responsibility. Good on them.   

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!