IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Also a lot of guys on practice day were testing out the greens by rolling the balls by hand to see how they rolled off the green. Now I see why. 

Also not many slow motion swing analysis it seems. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I totally understand/appreciate because i am one.

Exactly. You are ONE. You are not representative of ALL.

Beyond that, this sums it up pretty well:

38 minutes ago, Shindig said:

A person who plays Shinnecock exclusively, plays from the green tees (not the tips), and has half their rounds (the better half of their rounds) with an average of 84 would hold an index around 10.   Are the extra 70 yards/hole (average difference from green tees to U.S. Open tees) really nearly a stroke difference?  Shooting that 84 would have a few good pars and maybe a birdie or two thrown in;  I don't think the extra 70 yards transform all of those pars into bogeys and beyond.

I'm also not convinced a pro having a single poor score on a hole means it's hopeless for amateurs.  My home course used to host the L.A. Open;  Arnold Palmer came to our par-5 18th near the lead one Friday and had a 12.  Somehow I've been able to make pars (and two birdies) on that hole. 

Yup.

4 minutes ago, Gerald ladig said:

Could this be the day Tigers back goes out.  Just wondering 

More inane commentary from a hater.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, lastings said:

question, As a 10 handicap (but a relatively long one, 265 drive and pretty straight), what would I shoot at Shinne today if I played well?   playing from US Open tees.  

my first guess is 117.

OK, this is the post that started this discussion. I'm talking about someone who's never played Shinnecock and will play it from the US Open tees under today's conditions. Someone who got their 10 hdcp from playing much easier and shorter courses in their area. That person would not be a 10 hdcp at Shinnecock. 

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

22 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

OK, this is the post that started this discussion. I'm talking about someone who's never played Shinnecock and will play it from the US Open tees under today's conditions. Someone who got their 10 hdcp from playing much easier and shorter courses in their area. That person would not be a 10 hdcp at Shinnecock. 

You just don’t get it. Handicaps. Read up.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

A person who plays Shinnecock exclusively, plays from the green tees (not the tips), and has half their rounds (the better half of their rounds) with an average of 84 would hold an index around 10.   Are the extra 70 yards/hole (average difference from green tees to U.S. Open tees) really nearly a stroke difference?  Shooting that 84 would have a few good pars and maybe a birdie or two thrown in;  I don't think the extra 70 yards transform all of those pars into bogeys and beyond.

I'm also not convinced a pro having a single poor score on a hole means it's hopeless for amateurs.  My home course used to host the L.A. Open;  Arnold Palmer came to our par-5 18th near the lead one Friday and had a 12.  Somehow I've been able to make pars (and two birdies) on that hole. 

There were numerous players, major champions, who shot 14, 15, 16 shots over their index today. It is more than the yardage today.  The rough, the wind, the greens.   Almost no one, even the leaders were getting birdies anywhere today.  

The course would just be way too punishing today for a 10 handicap to even get around.    The course was viciously punishing the worlds best players, imagine what it would do to someone that sucks. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, lastings said:

The course would just be way too punishing today for a 10 handicap to even get around.    The course was viciously punishing the worlds best players, imagine what it would do to someone that sucks. 

You’d be surprised.

You do know that several celebrities shot in the 80s at U.S. Open courses right?

Big Ben shot 81 IIRC.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I watched it most of the day today and enjoyed seeing the Pros struggle, using all their skills to make par.

I'm one for the US Open to have a winning score be close to par, one or two under...

IMO a 10 hcp under todays conditions @ 7,400 yds putting everything out would shoot 90's to hondo...

jfc....who cares what a 10 capper would shoot...is that even on-topic?

What number today is "out" of the tournament.....I honestly think Tiger's and Speith's 78 and Mickelson's 77 still has a shot....not the best, but two pretty good rounds can get them right back into this tourney.....

Winning score?  Gotta think this may be right around or over par at this point....depends on weather of course and, if very good, how fast they will let things get.......

Brutal out there today.......Oakmont got NOTHING on this course (for our Pennsylvania folks 😄)

Edited by BallStriker
  • Like 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

1 hour ago, Gerald Ladig said:

Could this be the day Tigers back goes out.  Just wondering 

You know, it's amazing how two sentences with a total of 11 words can reveal someone to be totally devoid of rational thought, objectivity, insight, compassion, honesty, knowledge and wit. There has been nothing to even suggest that Tiger hasn't owned his own mistakes when he's fit and he is certainly fit and healthy now. Where do you see him looking for excuses? Where do you see him doing dishonest things to fit a false narrative that suits your pathetic and moronic prejudices? If you are not trolling, you're a f&*%ing moron and if you are, it's old, not funny and extremely boring. Grow up.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Shorty you seem like a devout Tiger Woods fan and that’s good but I have seen to many times where he has quit and walked off the course after a bad hole from pain or hurt feelings I don’t know and you don’t know for sure. Only what the media wants you to know.

You have the right to call me child like names it doesn’t bother me one bit.

But grow up and have a nice evening

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Gerald Ladig said:

Shorty you seem like a devout Tiger Woods fan and that’s good but I have seen to many times where he has quit and walked off the course after a bad hole from pain or hurt feelings I don’t know and you don’t know for sure. Only what the media wants you to know.

No, you haven’t.

23 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Winning score?  Gotta think this may be right around or over par at this point....depends on weather of course and, if very good, how fast they will let things get.......

I was wondering about that as well.  This could be one of the few tournaments on tour whose winner posts a single digit red number.  I think the players will reign in todays less than stellar performance as they continue to get a feel for the course and conditions.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

3 minutes ago, Gerald Ladig said:

You have the right to call me child like names it doesn’t bother me one bit.

But grow up and have a nice evening

You know, most people here are golf fans. I honestly don't think there are that many fanboys or fangirls of any player. I just don't see it. But, feel free to keep digging. You don't even know how the media works. Players are interviewed. They say stuff. You're the one making up stories.

• Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

So we are still discussing what a 10 hcp amateur would score on the us-open? Its irritating and I feel its off topic and would like to ask the people that want to discuss it open a seperate topic. @iacas agree?

Players had a rough day, I hope the scores will be better friday. I think Tiger will grind and make the cut.

44 minutes ago, Gerald Ladig said:

Ok good night and sweet Dreams of Tiger Shorty

Wash your hoodie. You’re putting too much effort in acting a fool here and playing Fortnite. Go get some rest.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!