IGNORED

My Chipping/Pitching is a glaring weakness

Note: This thread is 2067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over the course of the last year, based in information gained from this site, from LSW, taking lessons, and from data about my own game learned from 9 rounds with my Arccos, I have become a much better and golf.    Furthermore, I have become much better at understanding how to improve my own game.   

I know what a good full swing both looks and feels like for me.  when it's not right, I know how to use video to understand where I'm off and how to correct it.   My full swing still has a very long ways to go, but at the same time, It has come a long ways.  Additionally, I feel that I have the information, tools, and understanding of how to continue to bring it along it along further on my own.

Additionally, I have come to understand that I am a much better putter than I had originally thought.  It is the aspect of my game that is the closest to scratch.   Additionally, as we know about separation value, it's the easiest to improve in a short amount of time.   Gonna take Aimpoint express to tighten up my reads a bit, but other than that this aspect doesn't need a large % of my practice time.   

--but, here is my flaw--

My pitching/chipping is terrible.   It is very bad.  I mentioned this in my "what I've learned from Arccos" thread.   From inside of 40 yds, I am averaging 26.3 ft to the pin.   I'm only getting up and down 18% of the time.   This is just really bad.  
Basically, If I can't hit a GIR, I can't Par.   I need nGIRs to be worth something to me.    I need a tool that allows me to tun nGIRs into pars.  

This problem is really stunting the ability of my much improved full swing to reflect dramatically in my final scores.   

I'm looking for help or swing thoughts here.  
I don't need to become a great chipper.   I don't need to have all the shots.   I just need a way to become consistent.   no more chunking the ball 3 feet in front of me.   No more blading the ball across the green.   consistent solid contact every time.   

If I can learn to make my contact consistent every time, then I can learn how to get better and better at putting it close to the hole with practice.    But, If I can't consistent make solid contact, then it's a guessing game and the practice is worthless. 

Seriously, I haven't had a complete mis-hit on a full swing sand wedge all year long.   Wrong line or wring distance, sure.   but, at least, it solid crisp contact every time.    If I can do this with a full swing, there should be absolutely no reason I can't do it with a chip.   It's silly.   

anyone have any good thoughts, or links to a good youtube video or whatever?

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

@lastings Have you already seen this thread???

I have not.   searched to try to find something like this, too.    Thanks!

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, lastings said:

I have not.   searched to try to find something like this, too.    Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I might recommend you read up on Paul Runyon's  chipping using your putting stroke. You Tube has some decent videos of this instruction. 

I have also found his method can also help with shorter pitch shots. 

It's your game. See if his instruction might work for you. Couldn't hurt to look at it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Get a lesson. After decades of golf I was an adequate chipper, but I wanted to do better.

So I had a lesson and told the pro to pretend I had never hit a chip shot before and teach me from the very start. Then I worked constantly on what he taught me and chipping is now a strength in my game.

Learn how to do it right, then practice hard. In comparison, chipping is one of the easier shots to get good at.

If you want to get better tomorrow, buy a quality chipper...

There's nothing wrong with using a better tool for a job.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Not with that again.

If you’ve given up on getting better, sure, get a chipper.

If not, don’t.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Not with that again.

If you’ve given up on getting better, sure, get a chipper.

If not, don’t.

That’s like saying, if you’ve given up on getting better, buy cavity back irons...

A chipper is simply a better tool for chipping, especially when using a putting method.  

Admittedly, it’s a one trick pony, but it’ll still result in lower scores (and quickly) for a lot of people, especially if they replace that damn lob wedge (another one trick pony for most) with it!

Sadly, for most, the ego gets in the way of shooting lower scores...

...And admit it, you would’ve been disappointed had I not mentioned it! ;-) 

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1

In David's bag....

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

That’s like saying, if you’ve given up on getting better, buy cavity back irons...

No it's not. PGA Tour players play cavity-back irons.

A chipper is simply a better tool for chipping, especially when using a putting method.

And that's about all it can do. It lacks versatility while taking up a spot in your bag. By the time you get used to using a chipper, you could have gotten better at chipping with your sand wedge, and from a wider variety of lies and situations.

Chippers are fine for people who have give up on getting better/don't want to practice, and have a spot in their bag for it.

Admittedly, it’s a one trick pony, but it’ll still result in lower scores (and quickly) for a lot of people, especially if they replace that damn lob wedge (another one trick pony for most) with it!

My lob wedge isn't a one-trick pony.

I disagree that using a better tool is “giving up on getting better”.  Those tour players using cavity back irons would agree....

...and I said, the lob wedge is a one trick pony for “most”, not all.  You’re highly skilled, and an obvious exception.  

Hell, a lot (most?) of higher handicap players would be better off dumping a lob wedge and leaving that spot empty...

In David's bag....

6 hours ago, David in FL said:

Great idea. I know folks who use them. My Granddaughter being one of them. 

Myself, I already have 6 or 7 clubs in my bag, that I can chip with, using my putting stroke. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
3 hours ago, David in FL said:

I disagree that using a better tool is “giving up on getting better”.  Those tour players using cavity back irons would agree....

It's not a better tool. It's a worse tool that's not even as good at all chips as a sand wedge.

And it's not the same as equating it to cavity backed clubs on the PGA Tour at all. You were wrong to make an example of that before, and wrong again now.

You won't find many PGA Tour players playing the SGI clubs, but you said "cavity backs."

I understand about this...

My chipping and short pitches have been a problem FOREVER, I have taken lesson at places like The Leadbetter Academy (where in the month following I hit almost 10,000 short shots -- yes 10,000) did I get better NO.  Then I took another lesson there... same amount of practice, unfortunately the same result. Then another lesson...  Before and since then (6 years ago) I have taken a LOT of lessons from others well and lesser known pros.  I have watched Youtube videos until I am bleary-eyed, I have read articles, I have James Sieckmann's book, ..... all it seemed for naught.

I am a 7 HCP who was only geting up and down 11% of the time... yes, 11% is correct.  So if I miss a green, a bogey is inevitable...at best.  UNLESS I can putt from the fringe... then I will get down almost every time.   And forget about getting close to the pin on a par 5 when I am under 40 yards to the pin...  I am a TERRIBLE scramble partner if you need a short pitch.

I have tried the Paul Runyon chipping approach... which my friends suggested since I am an EXCELLENT putter.... however, I still chunked, bladed, ...

I seemed I had The Dreaded YIPS... nice smooth practice swings, then the actual swing -- well you don't want to look.  Finally I decided I just might be ready to attack this problem again.  So I dragged out my James Sieckmann notes, and started from scratch.

When I swing with only my right hand on the club, I am pretty good, and I have even done that on the course when I had a short chip/pitch.  I have rhythm, I used the bounce of the club well, .... then I tried with my left hand only and it as not as good.  So I decided.  I would do the following.   Go to the short game area.   Get out my tube of 23 golf balls, using my 58 degree wedge, hit one shot with my right hand only, then one with my left hand only, and then one with both hands on the club.   I was constantly analyzing, comparing, checking feels, etc.   So I was trying to determine how I could improve and be confident with both hands on the club.  I continue to do this.. and am a better.

It has taken about 3 weeks, and I have been doing this for at least 30 hours total.  And I am getting better, a lot better... I no longer chunk or blade every shot and when I hit the ball is it no halfway to the target as I had not distance control.

I found out several things I was doing wrong.  Poor timing/rhythm, swaying on my backswing instead of turning into my right hip, using my shoulders too much and too tense, not using the bounce of the club, no releasing my wrist cock, ….     BUT, I have been sorting this out each piece at a time.  Maybe my brain had way too many bad results saved, and I needed to start over... with a more determined and open mind.

Am I perfect yet, NO, a long way to go, ...but my Scrambling percentage is getting better. My GG data shows I am now up to 20%, which I know is terrible for my HCP level.  So what... I am getting better and am enjoying some happiness at least.  Tomorrow I will be back at it.  I feel I am on a positive path for once in the 13 years I have been playing golf.

My hope for you is to keep trying to get better.... you have to know WHAT you are doing wrong at the feeling level as well as the intellectual level... and then you will get better.  Looking forward to hearing about all your chip ins.!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

OK, to contribute to this discussion I have never owned a "chipper". Have used a buddies chipper a time or two. It felt tinny and cheap!

If I want a chip to start low and run up to the hole, I'll just take a lower lofted iron out of my set.What's wrong with that? I love playing the bump and run!

I learned that shot early on, when my highest lofted club was a 9 iron!

My issue with a 'chipper' is it is a uni-tasker and doesn't address the real issue. Correct chipping and pitch technique also helps with full swing because of the focus on pitch elbow. When I mess up a chip, I know exactly what I am doing wrong. Work on proper technique with chips and it will help with partial wedges and even full swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, David in FL said:

...and I said, the lob wedge is a one trick pony for “most”, not all.  You’re highly skilled, and an obvious exception.  

Hell, a lot (most?) of higher handicap players would be better off dumping a lob wedge and leaving that spot empty...

Agree with this post so long as there’s an empty spot in the bag and you have limited potential.

What types of short game shots does a chipper not work for?

Jon

Note: This thread is 2067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!