IGNORED

Have prices for used clubs gone HIGHER in the last 4 years !?!?!?

Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In 2014,  I bought a used Rocketballz RBZ 10.5* driver from Ebay for $55. 
45.5" Regular flex shaft 
Got it cut down to 44" and a new grip for a whopping $7. 
Total cost for a "fitted" driver was $62.. 

Now, when I search Ebay for the same exact driver, they are selling for $100.

What happened?

Inflation lol

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, Used2PlayALot said:

45.5" Regular flex shaft 

What happened?

Tiger signed with TM.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I feel like in recent memory I bought some used clubs for $5 each.  I think the 1-iron and maybe some old demo clubs.  I know I started with used driver, 3w, wedges and putter when I got into golf and I not only didn't have much money then, I was cheap and practically allergic to spending money too.  Now that I have money and, as of a week or so from now, every club in my bag will be "it was new when I got it" new... used clubs are going up in price.  

Oh, I did have a point here, didn't I?   I was looking into getting a LH club, like a 6-iron or 9-iron in a SGI head.  My goal would be to learn to hit a quarter and half shot left handed with the appropriate head so I could aim to transfer the skill to when I turn a club around.  Seems that shot need comes up more than it should for me.  And the relevant LH clubs are selling for like $50... maybe I should check ebay or something.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I don’t know if used club prices have gone up, but there are a few reasons why they either may or may not have. Inflation is one factor, truthfully. General health of the economy and availability of disposable income to spend on golf fluctuates as well. 

Another thing to consider with eBay in particular compared to other sites or physical stores is that if you did deep enough or get lucky with your search terms, you can sometimes find a listing that for one reason or another (misspelled words, obscure specs listed/not listed, poor/no pictures etc.) has lower traffic, or a club that is listed at a time when the ‘right’ buyer(s) are not seeing or looking for it.

This can allow for deals for sure. But the same club in a good looking pic with everything spelled how you spelled it when searching can show up in the first page of nearly everyone’s search for that club. 

Also, certain clubs gain a cult following over time, or the opposite, fall out of favor faster compared to newer gear.

All things to consider. 

On 7/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, Used2PlayALot said:

45.5" Regular flex shaft 

What happened?

Collectors item? 😂

Maybe more people are just buying used gear because the price of new gear is so high? Kind of a supply and demand thing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Too many variables. Is it the same seller? What is the condition of the two drivers? Is the golf shaft the same?

It might not be apples to apples even though they are the same driver. To one person, it might be worth more than another. That is the nature of Ebay.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Global commerce. Ebay has set up abilities to sell to different countries and ship through them. Taxation of items in some countries makes a new $399.00 driver close to $1000.00. They buy the slightly used club at a reasonable price which is somewhat unreasonable to us. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I'd agree with @saevel25, used, ahem, pre-owned, market, a lot of variables. Did a quick search and found these prices. Don't know equipment well, so dunno if exact club.

Could be you just got a really good deal back then.

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 5.29.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 5.25.54 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The bluebook value is around $45 and based on what I've seen on used market, usually prices are higher than that in the bluebook.

https://valueguide.pga.com/trade-in/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Prices on the used market have more to do with the name than they do the quality of the product.  You can pick up a G&L much cheaper than you can a Fender, or a set of Adams for a song compared to a set of Callaways.  In any era there are bargains to be had...and there is stuff that retains value due to reputation.  That's how it has always been.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!