IGNORED

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

lastings
Note: This thread is 2010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, Moxley said:

Bjorn rambled something about Sergio being the heartbeat of the team or something. Sounds like nostalgia to me. 

Yeah, I totally do not understand picking Garcia. I also am not convinced Stenson is a good choice, based on his play the last months.

I admit I'm a little biased towards Pieters - I would've loved to see him out there again allthough he didn't have the best of seasons.
But no Matt Wallace? Surely he's in way better form than Sergio?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol. I get what you guys are saying.

But it'll be funny if Sergio mops the floor with his opponents.  Which could happen.  It's golf.  And it's not like he sucks.

Edited by 3jacker

It certainly does look good for USA but I don’t know, just seems like every time I watch the ryder cup USA can’t sink a damn putt save for Patrick Reed.  I mean the Euros seem to sink everything inside 30ft like tap ins and we miss 4 and 5 footers to halve holes like its our jobs.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Sergio pick was surprising, Björn definitely went with experience and past performances. Seems like it really didn't matter how guys played in the last few months! Björn really leaves himself up for critique here if the veterans do not perform. But it will interesting to see! Rooting for Europe, but these picks really seem to have swung in favour of the US and feels like it would be a big upset if Europe manage to win.

15 hours ago, 3jacker said:

Lol. I get what you guys are saying.

But it'll be funny if Sergio mops the floor with his opponents.  Which could happen.  It's golf.  And it's not like he sucks.

Of course it could happen , but that is hardly the point. You could say the same about almost any tour player. 

The problem is that , by most objective measures, he doesn't seem to have picked players with the best chance of playing well. And if it doesn't work , and we get beat (which is likely either way), we'll probably end having even more inexperienced players next time round. 

To be honest, as long as he’s healthy, I’m still on board with the Stenson pick.  No good if he actually is injured, though.  

Veteran leadership on a pretty young team, and from what I understand about the course, his accuracy off the tee could be a pretty big asset.

the Sergio pick, however, is quite absurd. Might as well just bring Monty back. 

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

What’s odd is everything I’ve heard from various Euros including Bjorn himself puts Sergio in an asst. captains roll and not a player. They keep talking about his attitude, enthusiasm, ‘heartbeat of the team’, motivator. He’s a sure fit for a captain role...as a player it was a pure gamble pick.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Moxley said:

Of course it could happen , but that is hardly the point. You could say the same about almost any tour player. 

The problem is that , by most objective measures, he doesn't seem to have picked players with the best chance of playing well. And if it doesn't work , and we get beat (which is likely either way), we'll probably end having even more inexperienced players next time round. 

Yeah, I'd agree w/that. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your boy Hatton play.  I like his demeanor; he's a mean/angry looking type - fun to watch. And he is sure playing well lately.

2 hours ago, 3jacker said:

Yeah, I'd agree w/that. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your boy Hatton play.  I like his demeanor; he's a mean/angry looking type - fun to watch. And he is sure playing well lately.

With his childish tantrums I'm NOT looking forward to seeing Hatton play .. if he gets Woods or Reed he'll get REAL wound up .. and together with the Poulter and definitely the totally weird Garcia pick, however much I'd like it, I just can't see Europe winning.  😭

Form didn't seem to play much or a role when Bjorn made his picks ..It's almost like he's been paid to give the USA the best possible chance.. 

Edited by Gettin Better
Additional comment

4 hours ago, lastings said:

To be honest, as long as he’s healthy, I’m still on board with the Stenson pick.  No good if he actually is injured, though.  

He has said that, although he has an injury, it doesn't stop him from playing and practising, but just prevents gym work. I hope he is not downplaying the injury. Even without injury he's marginal I think.

3 hours ago, Gettin Better said:

With his childish tantrums I'm NOT looking forward to seeing Hatton play .. if he gets Woods or Reed he'll get REAL wound up .. and together with the Poulter and definitely the totally weird Garcia pick, however much I'd like it, I just can't see Europe winning.  😭

Form didn't seem to play much or a role when Bjorn made his picks ..It's almost like he's been paid to give the USA the best possible chance.. 

Ha, yeah.. he makes Rahm look easygoing.

What I meant was, it'll be fun for ME, being on the other side. But only if he's getting beat.  His demeanor won't be as fun to watch if he's handing our ass to us. 😀

Billy and Xander are putting up an argument today for that last spot.  3 more rounds to try and push Tony aside.....

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

On 9/6/2018 at 10:59 PM, rehmwa said:

Billy and Xander are putting up an argument today for that last spot.  3 more rounds to try and push Tony aside.....

I would say Billy has no chance in hell even if he won by 7 shots. I think Furyk is probably down to Xander and Finau with ZJ also in the back of his mind depending on his performance. I thought Xander was a lock after the British and then lost it but can get it back this weekend.

Btw, I hope Phil wasn’t picked solely for his 63 last weekend. Because outside of that round, he hasn’t exactly had a stellar summer.

Edited by ChrisP

51 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Btw, I hope Phil wasn’t picked solely for his 63 last weekend. Because outside of that round, he hasn’t exactly had a stellar summer.

From everything I had heard from media folks who at least think they’re in the know- Phil was basically a lock regardless as this is likely to be his swan song as a player in the event. I think the 63 made the optics of the pick easier, but short of him firing up 80s all summer, he was going to be picked regardless. 

Edited by skydog

1 hour ago, skydog said:

From everything I had heard from media folks who at least think they’re in the know- Phil was basically a lock regardless as this is likely to be his swan song as a player in the event. I think the 63 made the optics of the pick easier, but short of him firing up 80s all summer, he was going to be picked regardless. 

Gotcha. Not a fan of that mentality, though. I would like to see Furyk pick Phil because he think he could win some matches, not because it’s likely his last RC and swan song. Every point next month is going to be critical. So I hope Furyk didn’t pick him for just that purpose because I could argue that Schauffele/Finau could benefit the US more than just one of those two + a struggling Phil.

Edited by ChrisP

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Gotcha. Not a fan of that mentality, though. I would like to see Furyk pick Phil because he think he could win some matches, not because it’s likely his last RC and swan song. Every point next month is going to be critical. So I hope Furyk didn’t pick him for just that purpose because I could argue that Schauffele/Finau could benefit the US more than just one of those two + a struggling Phil.

I don’t disagree. I know Phil is good for the ‘team room’ aspect and I like watching him play in the event, but it will be an easily criticized pick if Phil doesn’t perform. I also hope that Phil has the self-awareness to suggest to Furyk that he only play in 3 matches as I think his age will catch up with him if he tries to play 2 rounds in one day.

4 hours ago, skydog said:

I don’t disagree. I know Phil is good for the ‘team room’ aspect and I like watching him play in the event, but it will be an easily criticized pick if Phil doesn’t perform. I also hope that Phil has the self-awareness to suggest to Furyk that he only play in 3 matches as I think his age will catch up with him if he tries to play 2 rounds in one day.

This is why I would’ve put Phil in Tiger’s asst. caot spot and take both Finau and Xander

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!