Jump to content
lastings

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

821 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Its a Ryder Cup year!   About time to get this conversation started.  

USA top 8 (automatic qualifiers) after the Open Championship

1. Brooks Koepka
2. Dustin Johnson
3. Patrick Reed
4. Justin Thomas
5. Bubba Watson
6. Jordan Spieth
7. Rickie Fowler
8. Webb Simpson

Europe top 8 (automatic qualifiers) after the Open Championship

1. Francesco Molinari
2. Justin Rose
3. Tyrell HAtton
4. Tommy Fleetwood
5. Alex Noren
6. Rory McIlroy
7. Jon Rahm
8. Thorbjorn Olesen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

If it was today, IMO the captain picks would be

United States on WhatsApp 2.17  Tiger, Phil, Xander, Kisner

 

European Union on WhatsApp 2.17  IJP, Sergio, Grillo, Casey (though I would imagine lots of pressure to pick Alexander Levy the top ranked (69) player from France)

Note, all of those can change as there are events still to play

Edited by Wally Fairway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Correction.   due to points rules regarding European points and World points, paul Casey is actually *In as of now nd Thorbjorn Olesen is *out. 

USA top 8 (automatic qualifiers) after the Open Championship

1. Brooks Koepka
2. Dustin Johnson
3. Patrick Reed
4. Justin Thomas
5. Bubba Watson
6. Jordan Spieth
7. Rickie Fowler
8. Webb Simpson

Europe top 8 (automatic qualifiers) after the Open Championship

1. Francesco Molinari
2. Justin Rose
3. Tyrell HAtton
4. Tommy Fleetwood
5. Alex Noren
6. Rory McIlroy
7. Jon Rahm
8. Paul Casey

 

i would go -

DeChambeau, Kisner, Finau, Tiger for the USA (sorry, Phil)

Olesen, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Cabrera Bello, Stenson for Europe (sorry Sergio, Sorry Poulter)

Edited by lastings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There will be some tough calls to be made on the American side. I can't forsee any scenario under which Tiger will be left out. And I think Kuchar is pretty close to a lock (due to experience, form, and all-around likeability) for the 2nd spot if he doesn't qualify automatically. Phil isn't a lock - and honestly probably isn't the best choice - but I think Furyk will give him his Ryder Cup send-off. That leaves one opening for a bunch of guys who could be awesome additions to the USA squad. Finau, Schauffele, Kisner, Hoffman, Zach Johnson, hell even Brian Harman. I would love to see any of those guys teeing it up for team USA and think any of them would bring a lot to the table. 

Gun to my head, I think selections are Tiger, Kuchar, Phil and Schauffele.

48 minutes ago, lastings said:

i would go -

DeChambeau, Kisner, Finau, Tiger for the USA (sorry, Phil)

DeChambeau probably wouldn't be a terrible pick, but I don't think he will get a shot this year. There are too many other deserving candidates and I'm not sure he's among the more well liked guys on tour - which, like it or not, is a serious consideration. Unless he catches fire over the next few weeks, he will probably suffer the same fate as Bubba in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Big C said:

DeChambeau probably wouldn't be a terrible pick, but I don't think he will get a shot this year. There are too many other deserving candidates and I'm not sure he's among the more well liked guys on tour - which, like it or not, is a serious consideration. Unless he catches fire over the next few weeks, he will probably suffer the same fate as Bubba in 2016.

The only thing in favor of DeChambeau is that he's got a relatively recent decent match play record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

The only thing in favor of DeChambeau is that he's got a relatively recent decent match play record.

Actually, the biggest thing in favor of Dechambeau is he is right behind Webb Simpson in points.  All he has to do is outplay Webb over the next few and there isn’t a decision to be made. 

I know we’re discussing whether he will get picked by a captain or not, but I thought it relevant to point out how close he is to top 8 points right now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

The only thing in favor of DeChambeau is that he's got a relatively recent decent match play record.

I agree. I think he would be a fine pick on merits alone - and it's possible that his quirky personality could suit him well in the Ryder Cup. But assuming he doesn't make it on points, I don't see him making Furyk's final cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Additionally, Webb Simpson has like 7 hybrids in his bag.  All the euro guys will make fun of him for that and make him feel insecure. Then they’ll have an advantage in matchplay.  No one wants a guy like that on team USA.  

Then again, if Dechambeau makes it, the euro guys will probably all bring compasses.  So, there’s that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Phil is always a great player to have though, because he pairs so well with bombers.  Has an exceptional ability to make the most of an errant drive in alt shot and turn missed greens into one-putts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, lastings said:

Phil is always a great player to have though, because he pairs so well with bombers.  Has an exceptional ability to make the most of an errant drive in alt shot and turn missed greens into one-putts. 

I wouldn't go near Phil in Foursomes at this point in his career. Yes, he can still pull off the spectacular recovery shot, but he is just as likely to put his poor partner in a lousy spot. And from what I have seen from the past few weeks, his putting inside of 10 feet is suspect.

I do think he is probably one of the better four-ball options out there, because he can still put up birdies in bunches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, Big C said:

I wouldn't go near Phil in Foursomes at this point in his career. Yes, he can still pull off the spectacular recovery shot, but he is just as likely to put his poor partner in a lousy spot. And from what I have seen from the past few weeks, his putting inside of 10 feet is suspect.

I do think he is probably one of the better four-ball options out there, because he can still put up birdies in bunches. 

Thing about these team events is great Ryder cup players and bad ones is really just all luck.  These are all top 30 players in the world.  (Or so).  The players who have been good in fourball and foursomes have just been lucky.  The ones that haven’t been have just been unlucky.  If they played the Ryder cup every weekend all year.  their records in those events would all be about .500.  Or, actually, probably just be similar to their fed ex points rankings.  (I say that because Tiger early 2000s would have a Ryder cup record well over .500). But small sample size guarantees nothing.  2000 tiger and 2000 Phil is not a lock vs. Darren Clark and Colin Montgomerie (or whatever average euro pair). Not for 1 weekend anyways.   Small sample sizes.  We all talk about it.  All the time, everywhere on the site.  And the Ryder cup and pros are no different.   Fourball and foursome is just who is luckier that round/day/weekend. 

18 holes of Sunday matchplay is a different story. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, lastings said:

Additionally, Webb Simpson has like 7 hybrids in his bag.  All the euro guys will make fun of him for that and make him feel insecure. Then they’ll have an advantage in matchplay.  No one wants a guy like that on team USA.  

Then again, if Dechambeau makes it, the euro guys will probably all bring compasses.  So, there’s that.

You have to be kidding me! If Simpson is that insecure about his club selection, then he does not belong on the team! I no longer carry an iron longer than a 6, and I love my hybrids! If somebody wants to chirp about that, screw them!

I hit those babies flush, and right where I want them to go! Everybody else can go pound sand!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

You have to be kidding me! If Simpson is that insecure about his club selection, then he does not belong on the team! I no longer carry an iron longer than a 6, and I love my hybrids! If somebody wants to chirp about that, screw them!

I hit those babies flush, and right where I want them to go! Everybody else can go pound sand!

Oh.. ha!  That was a joke..  I thought y’all would get that. 

Edited by lastings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wait! We Euro’s get to make the Euro picks. So Poulter is a 100% pick. Pieters, Garcia and Stenson also must pick’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

IJP, Sergio, Grillo, Casey

Grillo is an Argentine, I'd have him on board alright, but not sure if the rules would allow!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, lastings said:

Additionally, Webb Simpson has like 7 hybrids in his bag.  All the euro guys will make fun of him for that and make him feel insecure. Then they’ll have an advantage in matchplay.  No one wants a guy like that on team USA.  

Then again, if Dechambeau makes it, the euro guys will probably all bring compasses.  So, there’s that.

I find it hard to believe Simpson would not be on the team. He's been one of the better American players this year, winning a Players, contending at the British and posting seven top-10s this year. Same goes with Schauffele. I think he's a lock to be a captain's pick if he doesn't make it on points.

I think the top-8 right now are perfect for Furyk and he would like for it to stay that way. To me, Tiger and Xander are locks. THe last two spots will come down to DeChambeau, Phil, Kisner, Zach Johnson and Kuchar.  I think Finau is out unless he has an incredible next few weeks. He just doesn't have the wins and only two top-5s this year and experience is not on his side like it is ZJ, Phil and Kuch.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Additionally, Webb Simpson has like 7 hybrids in his bag.  All the euro guys will make fun of him for that and make him feel insecure.

Enjoy the jail cell, pal. 🐔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Wait! We Euro’s get to make the Euro picks. So Poulter is a 100% pick. Pieters, Garcia and Stenson also must pick’s.

Pretty much agree with all of these. I could see Pieters dropping out for Levy, but otherwise straightforward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...