IGNORED

Lexi Thompson Steps Away from the Game to Recharge

iacas

40 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Harsh viewpoints from @Vinsk and @Valleygolfer . I wish her strenght with her battle. Looks like she is unhappy to say the least. Never underestimate what the mind does to your mental health.

Well I have had plenty time with people like her. Yes she wants sympathy and she wants attention and tug at your heart strings...  I say, never underestimate who you are dealing with. I do however agree that her mental health is of concern. Harsh viewpoints? Maybe just realistic vs band wagon. She is doing this to keep in the public eye, she got a taste of being a sex symbol and trying to maintain that is fatiguing. I really don't care what she does but she puts it out for us to read and yell go girl... I'm sorry that some suffer from disorders with food and body issues. I just don't think this is her issue. She suffers from a different syndrome. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

No, dude. Just no.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

46 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Well I have had plenty time with people like her. Yes she wants sympathy and she wants attention and tug at your heart strings...  I say, never underestimate who you are dealing with. I do however agree that her mental health is of concern. Harsh viewpoints? Maybe just realistic vs band wagon. She is doing this to keep in the public eye, she got a taste of being a sex symbol and trying to maintain that is fatiguing. I really don't care what she does but she puts it out for us to read and yell go girl... I'm sorry that some suffer from disorders with food and body issues. I just don't think this is her issue. She suffers from a different syndrome. 

You know next to nothing about her mental state. You must have had bad experiences in your life, don’t take them out on her.

11 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

You know next to nothing about her mental state. You must have had bad experiences in your life, don’t take them out on her.

Maybe, but I do know something about psychological disorders. People who have eating disorders rarely publicly talk about the because they do not want people to interfere or stop them. Secondly, I am not taking them out on her. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Maybe, but I do know something about psychological disorders. People who have eating disorders rarely publicly talk about the because they do not want people to interfere or stop them.

And those who do "publicly talk about them," particularly when in a position to reach and influence a great many others, should be commended or at the very least not f***ing slighted with the caustic crap you're throwing her way.

Good god, man, what positive can come from the shit you've posted here about someone who deserves the benefit of the doubt as a human being. If you're right, nothing is accomplished, and if you're wrong, you just look like a tool.

This isn't moving your ball an inch in a tournament. This is real life, and you have no reason to doubt what she's said. None.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Maybe, but I do know something about psychological disorders. People who have eating disorders rarely publicly talk about the because they do not want people to interfere or stop them. Secondly, I am not taking them out on her. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

Tony,

I think you are way off track on this one. To me, it seems like a reach for help and not attention. Public figures can't always just withdraw from the world. That can make it worse.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just a PSA, body dysmorphia does not have to be rooted in logic. One can be young, fit, attractive, have millions of adoring fans and loving family - and still have it.

Just because you don't think someone else should have a certain problem doesn't mean they don't. Let's not diminish other people's struggles. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@Valleygolfer in my opinion you are unfairly applying a bias to her based on your experience when the reality none of us can understand her personality or who she is. Very few of us have either known someone or ourselves lived under a microscope since we were a teenager. How that might affect who we are. I think you are not being sympathetic to her situation ans are unfairly applying a bias that may or may not apply to her.  

Michael

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

And those who do "publicly talk about them," particularly when in a position to reach and influence a great many others, should be commended or at the very least not f***ing slighted with the caustic crap you're throwing her way.

Good god, man, what positive can come from the shit you've posted here about someone who deserves the benefit of the doubt as a human being. If you're right, nothing is accomplished, and if you're wrong, you just look like a tool.

This isn't moving your ball an inch in a tournament. This is real life, and you have no reason to doubt what she's said. None.

Your opinion, it is shit. I am realist. Why should she give 2 f***s what we think. I'm not her support group. Do some research on something other than golf on this. I do hope she helps people with problems but the majority of people the really suffer from eating disorders are quiet and shy from help. Her announcement makes it sound like she has  wore herself out trying to maintain a "fitness model" type body. Not an eating disorder.

Sorry I'm not drinking the koolaid on this one. I won't post anymore on this topic due to unpopular demand.

40 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Public figures can't always just withdraw from the world. That can make it worse.

Scott, yes they can, if they really want to. Stop acting like she has no control of her life. She can quit golf. She can quit twitter. She can get help quietly. She may never completely avoid the spot light, look at Anthony Kim but eventually no one will need want/anything from her.

Maybe she should just quit being a fitness model wannabee and focus on playing golf and enjoying it, no matter what she looks like.

@mchepp Maybe.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Your opinion, it is shit. I am realist.

No, you don't get to call yourself a realist here, Tony.

Eating disorders are real and you have no evidence to support your claims that she has a "syndrome" and is doing this for attention or something.

I went to school with Miss Ohio 20 years ago or so. I've known a few women with eating disorders. People you wouldn't otherwise think often struggle with things behind the scenes.

You have no evidence, no anything to support your claims, and your claims are caustic. To what f***ing end? What's the positive to you being a giant turd about this?

Why should she give 2 f***s what we think.

You don't have to care, but you can draw the line between "not caring" and posting the crap you've posted about this. Clearly you care about this topic.

Celebrities have a platform. They can use it for their own good, and often do, but there are plenty of times and examples of celebrities using the platform they have to do good.

Would you tell Olivia Munn that she was fame-starved or had a "syndrome" or something for tweeting and Instagramming this stuff about "The Predator" sex offender situation? Or did her raising awareness do some good in the world?

The answer should be obvious, but from you, I don't know…

10 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Do some research on something other than golf on this.

Really?

11 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I do hope she helps people with problems but the majority of people the really suffer from eating disorders are quiet and shy from help.

Sorry, I missed the part where you said ALL or EVERYONE.

Her announcement makes it sound like she has  wore herself out trying to maintain a "fitness model" type body. Not an eating disorder.

I'm using the word "eating disorder" when I should be saying "body issues" or whatever she seems to have. "Disorder." Whatever. You're not gonna score points by pretending that your caustic posts are because I said "eating disorder" once or twice instead of diagnosing someone I've only met a few times and without a psychology degree of any kind.

Sorry I'm not drinking the koolaid on this one. I won't post anymore on this topic due to unpopular demand.

Awesome.

Scott, yes they can, if they really want to. Stop acting like she has no control of her life. She can quit golf. She can quit twitter. She can get help quietly.

Why should she have to if by raising the issue publicly she can:

• gather support for herself.
  • raise awareness of the issue among her fans, many of whom are young girls.

Why?

Maybe she should just quit being a fitness model wannabee and focus on playing golf and enjoying it, no matter what she looks like.

Goodness what an ignorant statement to make.

She can quit golf. She can quit twitter. She can get help quietly.

Here is sort of what I am talking about. I think you are being unrealistic. Of course she can quit, and heaven knows I have wanted to quit jobs before but I have a family to support and it isn't realistic to do so. She really has no other way to live her life at the moment. She grew up and has lived her life with the plan that golf was going to be her future. She has hit a rough spot, which even you must admit everyone does, and she is trying to work her way through it. She has fans unlike you, who want to know what is going on in her life. She is trying to be open with them. 

Quite honestly it is refreshing. I can show my daughter that even people who look like they have it all can struggle. They have doubts, but they soldier on. Keep fighting. Life isn't "Instawonderful". It can be Instatough. 

I will respect your wish to no longer post on this topic, but I think you should consider that what she is doing is understandable and may be even potentially be helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Michael

16 hours ago, mchepp said:

Here is sort of what I am talking about. I think you are being unrealistic. Of course she can quit, and heaven knows I have wanted to quit jobs before but I have a family to support and it isn't realistic to do so. She really has no other way to live her life at the moment. She grew up and has lived her life with the plan that golf was going to be her future. She has hit a rough spot, which even you must admit everyone does, and she is trying to work her way through it. She has fans unlike you, who want to know what is going on in her life. She is trying to be open with them. 

Quite honestly it is refreshing. I can show my daughter that even people who look like they have it all can struggle. They have doubts, but they soldier on. Keep fighting. Life isn't "Instawonderful". It can be Instatough. 

I will respect your wish to no longer post on this topic, but I think you should consider that what she is doing is understandable and may be even potentially be helpful.

Well said. People like Lexi start their chosen career path but often end up becoming tole models whether they like it or not and in this modern social media culture there is, in my opinion, far too much pressure on these young people to live up to the image they believe their fans think they should have.

The fact that "celebs" like Lexi are often in the public eye for more than they profession puts even more pressure on them to keep looking, as @mcheppperfectly put it, instawonderful and i'm sure that many are keeping their issues buried deep. I wish Lexi well, she is young and has her whole life ahead of her so she is doing the right thing imo.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Lexi is talking on Morning Drive and something she said summed it up.  They are talking about her new puppy and bringing it around with her to tournaments to keep her company.  She said that people probably like the puppy more than they like her.  While it may have come off as a joke, I think she means it.  She also talked about 2017 briefly and instagram, etc.  She cares deeply about self image.  The few rules controversies over the last couple years hit her harder this year, I think, as she saw the repercussions of her actions.  Morning Drive also talked about how loneliness can effect a lot of golfers.  That combo of loneliness and self image can bring you to tough places when trying to compete on tour.  But with her new puppy, she seems to have found more joy outside of the course.  I wish her well. She has a big influence on the game and junior girl golfers, so I hope she can get through.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Lexi is talking on Morning Drive and something she said summed it up.  They are talking about her new puppy and bringing it around with her to tournaments to keep her company.  She said that people probably like the puppy more than they like her.  While it may have come off as a joke, I think she means it.  She also talked about 2017 briefly and instagram, etc.  She cares deeply about self image.  The few rules controversies over the last couple years hit her harder this year, I think, as she saw the repercussions of her actions.  Morning Drive also talked about how loneliness can effect a lot of golfers.  That combo of loneliness and self image can bring you to tough places when trying to compete on tour.  But with her new puppy, she seems to have found more joy outside of the course.  I wish her well. She has a big influence on the game and junior girl golfers, so I hope she can get through.

I'm glad that another human being seems to be on the rebound.

I'm not re-litigating the rules stuff, but I do continue to wonder if she had not handled that better, if she'd be in a better place now already. I don't know her well at all, of course, but if she had any inner conflict about that type of thing, that could cause stress and such, and combined with people who felt she didn't show complete integrity… could eat away at a person.

A simple apology and ownership of the rules thing might have gone a long way.

Or maybe not, as maybe it's more about body image and other types of things.

Or maybe she just needs to get laid. Or have a steady guy or gal in her life. I don't know.

• 3 years later...

Anyone watch the ladies PGA today? Good lord that was tough to watch  even for someone like me with a horribly twisted level of schadenfreude sense of humor. Two foot putt that doesn't sniff the hole, two shot lead on a par 5 with a little pitch that she skulls like a hack and then continues to butcher, that was UGLY

Colin P.

16 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Anyone watch the ladies PGA today? Good lord that was tough to watch  even for someone like me with a horribly twisted level of schadenfreude sense of humor. Two foot putt that doesn't sniff the hole, two shot lead on a par 5 with a little pitch that she skulls like a hack and then continues to butcher, that was UGLY

It's brutal being a Lexi Thompson fan yea. And I say that as a Jets fan, so I would know. 

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

• Administrator

I saw on Twitter that she was winning by one, and I knew she still wouldn't win.

And she didn't get beat. She was at -6 after lipping out another short birdie putt (I'm watching it now, that just happened), and -5 won it.

I know the course was tough, but she could have easily been three or four ahead, too.

She does this to herself. It's not bad luck, she's not beat. She beats herself. She loses; she's not outplayed.