IGNORED

Draw vs Fade: Which is Cooler & Reliable

Rahul
Note: This thread is 1990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Draw vs. Fade  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which is cooler?

• Draw
    • Fade
    • Both are equals
  2. 2. Which is more reliable?

• Draw
    • Fade
    • Both are equals

Let's hear your thoughts on it. My view Fade all day Long. Even though I played draw off the tee and approach into the green my whole life never really was able to depend on it. I recently started playing fades and only fades regardless of the situation, gained about 5-7 shots per round. 

Loss of Distance: 10-12 YDS with my driver, maybe 5ish YDS with irons. but what I gained in accuracy far outweighs the loss of distance IMHO

• Administrator

There’s no reason a draw can’t be as reliable as a fade. Typically draws go farther, but that’s because most amateurs - when they do hit a draw - hit a pull draw, so the club face is de-lofted more.

I don’t think either shot is inherently more or less predictable or reliable, nor is either “cooler” or not.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

There’s no reason a draw can’t be as reliable as a fade. Typically draws go farther, but that’s because most amateurs - when they do hit a draw - hit a pull draw, so the club face is de-lofted more.

I don’t think either shot is inherently more or less predictable or reliable, nor is either “cooler” or not.

I agree with you that a draw can e as reliable for some. My big miss has been a pull draw with irons and push fades & with my driver for the last 6-7 years and when that happens bad things follow.. as I'm adapting to my new ball flight I'm enjoying the consistency and "NO" swing thought aspect of fades. I feel like can finally play golf now rather than golf mechanics. All my lowest rounds are the proof of that.. IDK I may be completely over my head here

I voted both are equal for each. 

I think better players have a tendency to hit a draw. Better players tend to have more neutral ball flights to begin with. I wouldn't say one is more reliable than another. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I voted both are equal for each. 

I think better players have a tendency to hit a draw. Better players tend to have more neutral ball flights to begin with. I wouldn't say one is more reliable than another. 

I wonder why the pros are moving to fade?

5 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Historically the big power hitters went to a fade. Why would they have done this if it wasn’t more reliable? That being said, Id prefer to hit a draw lol

LOL fair enough..IDK i feel like the worst will happen if I mishit one..it will go straight or shorter

I find ball flights that have tight curves "cooler", I guess aesthetically pleasing. My ball flight, I don't have that high a swing speed, or hit it on the screws that often, has a "lazy" curve, it's pretty pronounced. Good players, even if they don't have the fastest swing speed, their balls curve just a wee bit, draw or fade, tight curve, I don't have a bias as to which looks better, but I like watching that wee curve. Jeez, this sounded a little dirty.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Oh my examples. Hogan, jack, tiger, DJ, Koepka, Bubba...my age dictates my experience so a lot of younger guys on my list.

There is your list..is this argument rested here..

Equally reliable. I voted that a draw was cooler because for several years I had only been able to hit a fade/slice. And I was always envious of golfers who hit draws. After taking lessons, my stock shot (for now) is a draw.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

13 minutes ago, jimnm said:

Equally reliable. I voted that a draw was cooler because for several years I had only been able to hit a fade/slice. And I was always envious of golfers who hit draws. After taking lessons, my stock shot (for now) is a draw.

Here is what I don't understand.. every time I went for a lesson..like every pro is teaching their students to hit draws..I am yet to see a benefit in that. I think people who start off slicing the ball always desire draw which is like 90% of the beginners, Please don't quote me on that..made up figure. I was one of those when I started off..over the years worked hard on making my stock shot a draw..Now i can't stand it..1. Time consuming to maintain, 2. Some days swing feels great and out of no where it feels like im picking club 1st time in my life...Now after i moved it away from it..I am barely at the range may be a couple of times a month that to work on rythm and alignments and bit of short game..and Im scoring better than i have ever scored..

I voted that a draw was cooler, only because I've played a draw for a long time, and I like the way it looks.  I don't think either is more reliable, really.  I have to admit, as I continue to work on "handle follows left hip", I've actually been able to fade a few drives (intentionally), and that's a pretty cool shot too.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I voted that a draw was cooler, only because I've played a draw for a long time, and I like the way it looks.  I don't think either is more reliable, really.  I have to admit, as I continue to work on "handle follows left hip", I've actually been able to fade a few drives (intentionally), and that's a pretty cool shot too.

Yeah that's honest.." I like the way it looks" I know what you mean..You probably see everything right to left..I still do with my tee shots..as I am adapting to left-to-right and playing it predominantly, I noticing that fades are less offensive when i do miss hit one.

Most of us hacks fight or hit slices.  To consistently hit a draw takes a bit of skill (as does taming the slice to a fade).  Until we have enough talent to actually choose a ball flight, I think we slicers consider a draw "cool".

Brian Kuehn

I voted the draw as being "cooler" simply because I used to struggle with a slice and the draw just feels better to me. Most high handicappers hit a slice, meaning most of the time that you see a draw is with mid to low handicap golfers adding to the appeal behind it.

Realistically though you won't see much performance difference between the two, in terms of reliability. When I'm playing I don't generally get any distance difference either because I like to play a bit of a push draw which means I've got a degree or two more loft at impact compared to a squared face. What is a more reliable shot depends on the player. To me a draw is reliable because when I'm not rusty it's a shot I can count on to end up left of where I aimed to start it 95/100 times. When I, personally, hit a fade it ends up to the right of where I aimed to start it only about 85-90/100 times (unless I'm trying to hit a hook or slice, those are both pretty much 100/100 times right or left of where I aimed to start it). 

I've played golf with a 40 yard slice and a 40 yard hook, and I was much more comfortable playing the 40 yard hook. It's entirely personal preference inside my head though, both work just as well as the other.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I voted the draw as being "cooler" simply because I used to struggle with a slice and the draw just feels better to me. Most high handicappers hit a slice, meaning most of the time that you see a draw is with mid to low handicap golfers adding to the appeal behind it.

Realistically though you won't see much performance difference between the two, in terms of reliability. When I'm playing I don't generally get any distance difference either because I like to play a bit of a push draw which means I've got a degree or two more loft at impact compared to a squared face. What is a more reliable shot depends on the player. To me a draw is reliable because when I'm not rusty it's a shot I can count on to end up left of where I aimed to start it 95/100 times. When I, personally, hit a fade it ends up to the right of where I aimed to start it only about 85-90/100 times (unless I'm trying to hit a hook or slice, those are both pretty much 100/100 times right or left of where I aimed to start it). 

I've played golf with a 40 yard slice and a 40 yard hook, and I was much more comfortable playing the 40 yard hook. It's entirely personal preference inside my head though, both work just as well as the other.

40 YDS of Hook..be careful what you wish for..LOL

1 minute ago, Rahul said:

40 YDS of Hook..be careful what you wish for..LOL

I played it for an entire year in 15+ tournaments, my senior year of high school. Did alright with it, but the only reason I didn't change it was because I didn't want to mess with something in the middle of the fall tournament season. 

It did get some great reactions though when first teeing off in the morning. First tournament of the year was a shotgun start and the hole I began on had a lake along the whole right side of the fairway. I started it about 20 yards over the lake and the guys I was playing with started commenting on my bad luck to start until they saw it coming back! I definitely didn't miss right often at all that season, and if I did it was only because I aimed too far right to begin with instead of blocking it out that direction.

Note: This thread is 1990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!