iacas

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

455 posts / 31298 viewsLast Reply

52 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

The same cannot be said for the women, and it's just a less important event overall for women's golf even if it is technically the Ryder Cup's counterpart.

Yeah the fact that the best LPGA golfers aren’t even in the tournament really kills the importance for me. I can appreciate how it’s important to the ladies playing of course. However on golf radio today they were asking players if they would rather have a Solheim win over a Ryder Cup or a Major. Really? That’s just PC nonsense. Nobody in their right mind is going to choose a Solheim win over a Major. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

23 hours ago, iacas said:

Underrated or Overrated #21 - The Solheim Cup

Only slight overrated. I don't think there is any more buzz around it than it did. It's not like they pulled in 'million dollah sponsors' or anything to begin with.  

I don't blame Inkster and Co. for overselling it a bit. I would if I were her. But yeah, the whole things a bit meh.    

#21 - The Solheim Cup - Definitely underrated.  This is a tournament/cup with really brilliant golf if we cared to watch it.  Especially for amateurs.  The male pro's tend to rely a bit more on raw power than the women.  Even from thick rough, the men are strong enough to muscle the ball.  We can definitely learn more from watching the women.  They strategise better if you are an amateur.

7 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

#21 - The Solheim Cup - Definitely underrated.  This is a tournament/cup with really brilliant golf if we cared to watch it.  Especially for amateurs.  The male pro's tend to rely a bit more on raw power than the women.  Even from thick rough, the men are strong enough to muscle the ball.  We can definitely learn more from watching the women.  They strategise better if you are an amateur.

I Just have to disagree. There was plenty of poor shots and decisions we don’t expect to see from professionals. And ok..that can happen. But again..I’m not real interested in tuning in to watch professional players hit a 7i 155yds to the middle of the green, or lay up to a 470yd par 5. Hell I don’t watch the men for their ‘strategizing.’ I don’t learn anything from watching the ladies play. They’re astronomically better than me. I learn nothing from them being able to hit a 5i 180yds very consistently. They’re that much better it’s not fascinating at all.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:20 PM, iacas said:

Underrated or Overrated #21 - The Solheim Cup

I'm going with overrated. I say this as a fan of the LPGA. Personally I enjoy the LPGA almost as much as I enjoy the PGA. Here's the thing, I think the Ryder Cup is over-rated too. 

I also don't buy into this whole "You can learn more from watching women's golf...." I find that a bunch of hoo-ha. I'm not being cynical at all when I say I really don't learn much of anything from either the men or the women. I enjoy watching them, both on the tele and in person. But I'm sure I haven't shaved even a 10th of a point off my handicap by doing so. 

I know I don't speak for the majority of golf fans when I say I will watch the PGA, the LPGA, the European tour, I'd watch almost any golf they care to televise. I like watching golf, period. 

Even so, the Solheim Cup is slightly overrated.