IGNORED

Favorite Golf Quotes

ChetlovesMer

I heard a replay of this quote from David Leadbetter on the radio. He said this about 5 weeks before the 1997 Masters. I had to look it up. 

"Right now, Tiger is a one-dimensional player who swings full on practically every shot... Another thing that will prevent Tiger from winning a major is pressure. There's a big difference between winning at Las Vegas and winning at Augusta National...."

He went on to say something about Tiger is getting undeserved hype, that's he's just a guy who hits it long, not a real golfer, something about needed to pay his dues first. That part I paraphrased but the quote above is the direct quote from Leadbetter himself. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I heard a replay of this quote from David Leadbetter on the radio. He said this about 5 weeks before the 1997 Masters. I had to look it up. 

"Right now, Tiger is a one-dimensional player who swings full on practically every shot... Another thing that will prevent Tiger from winning a major is pressure. There's a big difference between winning at Las Vegas and winning at Augusta National...."

He went on to say something about Tiger is getting undeserved hype, that's he's just a guy who hits it long, not a real golfer, something about needed to pay his dues first. That part I paraphrased but the quote above is the direct quote from Leadbetter himself. 

Mr. Ledbetter saw what he saw, but he wasn't much of a prophet.

I think he also said the Gremlin was going to be a great car.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:54 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Mr. Ledbetter saw what he saw, but he wasn't much of a prophet.

I think he also said the Gremlin was going to be a great car.

I don’t know the history of Ledbetter but he seems like the type who had the right golfers at the right time to make a name for himself despite not doing anything revolutionary or uniquely designed. It’s like giving credit to Mozart’s teacher....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 2/24/2019 at 11:13 PM, Vinsk said:

As a greens keeper was watering the green and waves us on to hit:

Me: ‘Dad, do you think these guys hit with a ball very often?’

Dad: ‘ Probably not ...the green is the safest place on a golf course.’

I said this to my playing partners years ago! This was back when you were supposed to vacate the green on a par 3 to let the following group hit up and begin walking up to the green. Carts have made this obsolete!

We had reached the green on a long, uphill, par 3, that played into the wind, and usually called for at least 2 clubs more for the yardage!  We marked our balls and stood aside for the approach shots.  When the guys behind us were firing away, I mentioned that we might be safer if we were all clustered around the flagstick! 

From a caddie the other day:

Shots from in same bunker - that's a Hilter - two in abunker

Hitting a bunker shot into another bunker - That's a Saddam - moving from bunker to bunker

9 hours ago, gbogey said:

From a caddie the other day:

Shots from in same bunker - that's a Hilter - two in abunker

Hitting a bunker shot into another bunker - That's a Saddam - moving from bunker to bunker

Ooh! I had a Saddam during a local tournament. Then thinking about it, maybe not. I simply hit from one "lobe" of a massive bunker into another lobe! So, I was in the same bunker. I don't know what that's called. Since it was lobe to lobe, maybe we could call it getting "earholed"! Ask your caddie! 

To tell the whole story, “Tom” hits the ball into a fairway bunker that runs the length of a hole. He advances his ball 50 yards in same bunker. Caddie says “that’s a Hitler, two in a bunker. If you had gone from bunker to bunker it would have been a Saddam.”  Tom then advances ball another 50 yards in same bunker and says, “what do you call three in a bunker?”  Caddie says, “that’s a Tom.”

• 1 year later...

I heard this one just this morning and giggled out loud.

"It took me 17 years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. It took one afternoon on the golf course." - Hank Aaron. 

Not a favorite but I ran across it yesterday and thought it was funny:

"I love golfing in the rain because, then, no one can see my crying."

Also ran across this one from Feherty a few weeks ago:

"Watching Phil Mickelson play golf is like watching a drunk chasing a balloon near the edge of a cliff"

But one of my favorites is from Sam Snead:

Of all the hazards, fear is the worst."

• Thumbs Up 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 1 year later...

"Sucking at something every once in a while is how you achieve greatness in the long run." - Tony Horton

I sure hope Tony is right. 

• 9 months later...

"I can play better; I just never have." - Huey Lewis, at Pebble Beach.

"I've always been able to hit the ball a long way.  It's just recently that I've been able to find it." - Scott McCarron.

“Nothing wrong with winning ugly.” – Johnny Miller, NBC golf analyst, during the last round of the 2009 US Open at Bethpage Black.

9&8’. 
Tiger Woods.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 3 weeks later...

Feherty after the camera had just panned back to Mickleson for his 3rd attempt at a punch out after his tee shot was pushed about 40 yards into the woods:

”Meanwhile, back in the jungle.”

• Funny 1

“Mind if I play along? Don’t worry, I only touch the fairway when I cross it. “

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

While watching The Masters a very long time ago, José María Olazábal hit a fairly bad tee shot and says "Shit!" with his Spanish accent.  There's a few seconds of stunned silence, and Ken Venturi says, "Pretty much describes the shot."