IGNORED

Chasing Scratch (the Podcast)

iacas

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

That is NOT what I thought they looked like.

Yeah, ha.  I can see mike  but Eli was more surprising.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just looking at MIke’s GHIN history and this summer was not pretty. I didn’t get the sense that he was going in reverse as much as he did from listening to the shows (or I guess I just forgot).  Adam Young has a lot of work to do.

Edited by Daveje97

On 1/1/2021 at 8:54 PM, iacas said:

That is NOT what I thought they looked like.

This randomly popped up on my YT feed and I had read through this thread before so I checked it out (but lets be honest I just watch any and all golf content). I was surprised their offseason doesn't include any actual swinging of clubs aside from doing the superspeed training. They aren't out of shape guys so while it cant hurt to work out it seems odd how the goal of getting better at golf could involve not hitting a ball for months. 

As an old, certainly not scratch anymore, returned to the game golfer, all I can say is that the reason I quit  golfing the first time is because I was playing for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by Esox
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Some quick notes…

• Eli's swing is pretty good. I think Breed is slightly over-stating the early backswing stuff… because it gets to the top okay, and isn't waving around or still suffering effects on the downswing, but… I also haven't seen a face-on view or a six-iron swing. And, that said, a better takeaway is going to be better anyway. I didn't look at Eli's grip.
  • Mike's swing (back on his heels too much)… Grip is palmy, elbow gets trapped. Gonna lead to a lot of face control issues. I disagree with Breed's assessment that there's a little too much "toss" at the top of the backswing. Breed talks about his slight EE, but most of that is just due to his balance at setup, and many good players EE a little bit. So… yeah. I disagree with Breed here. That's not where I'd start.

image.png

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

I tweeted at them:

A series of three tweets. Two more after that one.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

A series of three tweets. Two more after that one.

Funny that Twitter had the sensitive content warning for the images.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Pretty much does that for most images, I think, if your settings are such. Change your settings, man. 🙂

(If you even have a Twitter account. Maybe it defaults to that label for most images from non-verified accounts or something to people not logged in to Twitter?)

3 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Maybe due to the text at the bottom of the images?: "pelvis sway" "thrust"

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Breed talks about his slight EE, but most of that is just due to his balance at setup, and many good players EE a little bit.

yeah, I've never understood why some instructors seem to obsess with shaft plane at address versus impact.  I get they should prob be closer than Mike's, but it will be if he's not so squatty at setup.  Seems like it should be more about is the shaft on an ok angle at impact.  

image.png.59b906e949e9a805d855c36c5d2f5cf5.png

Interesting stuff.   I enjoy the podcast and the youtube vids.  

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

yeah, I've never understood why some instructors seem to obsess with shaft plane at address versus impact.  I get they should prob be closer than Mike's, but it will be if he's not so squatty at setup.  Seems like it should be more about is the shaft on an ok angle at impact.  

image.png.59b906e949e9a805d855c36c5d2f5cf5.png

The shaft plane at address versus impact is a dumb one, I agree.

Apparently, you could get better at golf by just setting up with the handle much higher! Then it'd be closer to where it is at impact, right? 😛

• Funny 1

On 1/15/2021 at 7:40 AM, iacas said:

The shaft plane at address versus impact is a dumb one, I agree.

Apparently, you could get better at golf by just setting up with the handle much higher! Then it'd be closer to where it is at impact, right? 😛

Seems to be true if you look at Moe Norman's swing. His angle at impact is the same as at address.

27 minutes ago, Esox said:

Seems to be true if you look at Moe Norman's swing. His angle at impact is the same as at address.

I agree that a lot of pros and really good players end up at a similar angle at impact as they started.  In this example, would it make mike more consistent/better if he started with his hands higher but got to the same impact angle that he currently does?  Maybe, I’m not an instructor.  Just seems like an easy thing to point out that might not be the most important thing to change, at least not directly.  

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Esox said:

So, based on one guy, it “seems to be true”?

In other words, if this was some secret, and your hands returned 15° above where they were at setup, couldn’t you just raise your hands 15° at setup to become a significantly better player?

Oh no...here comes the ‘ he was the greatest ball striker of all time’ talk....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 hours ago, iacas said:

So, based on one guy, it “seems to be true”?

In other words, if this was some secret, and your hands returned 15° above where they were at setup, couldn’t you just raise your hands 15° at setup to become a significantly better player?

Perhaps it would work for some people. I was toying with it for a while. I was hitting the ball quite solidly, but at the cost of much lower clubhead speed.  I did end up with my hands slightly higher at address, but not the extreme of Moes single plane swing.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Esox said:

Perhaps it would work for some people. I was toying with it for a while. I was hitting the ball quite solidly, but at the cost of much lower clubhead speed.  I did end up with my hands slightly higher at address, but not the extreme of Moes single plane swing.

My point is only that if the goal was to have the same angle, you could change setup. (Moe was higher at setup than most people.)

The best solution is to just get a good impact position, not just try to match setup to impact.

Impact is higher in most good players too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I didn't like his first "shallow" swing. He stays very closed, his hands roll over hard. He's right that the second one had a better turn. Same hands, and I wonder about the speed.

I don't care for the "nail drill." There are often very real mechanical issues at play, and if your goal is just to swing out more, you can do some very bad things to do this. You can tip back, stay closed, etc.

The "nail drill" has its place, but Mike and Eli act like it's the be-all, end-all.

• Informative 1