IGNORED

Chasing Scratch (the Podcast)

iacas

• Administrator

So, I'm only about five or six episodes in:

These guys are 11.x index players to start, and they have about 15 to 16 months to get down to 0.0 (which they unfortunately believe is "averaging even par.").

These two guys don't seem to have a clue how to do it. They're playing golf. One (maybe both?) seem to occasionally take a lesson or two. They're constantly after quick fix "feels" or "thoughts" that last a few holes, sometimes a whole round or two… They go to the range. They try to eat a little better (and never succeed).

There's no structure, no real plan. Nothing.

As I write this they're halfway through and they're at about a 9.5 and a 10.4 or something?

The problem is not really with them, it's that this is how a ton of golfers go about trying to get better. Which is frustrating to me as both an instructor and as the guy who runs this site, and who gives away a ton of information for free.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I listened to it a few months ago or whenever it ended.  I thought it was entertaining.  It drug on a little at times, but the guys seem genuine,down to earth and it's about guys trying to get better at golf so there's that.  Pretty much anything golf related i'll listen to.  I can't remember exactly how the progression goes, but their plan gets a little better (more defined) as they go i think.  

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

The problem is not really with them, it's that this is how a ton of golfers go about trying to get better. Which is frustrating to me as both an instructor and as the guy who runs this site, and who gives away a ton of information for free.

i need to consistently remind myself to stick to the process of good instruction and think long term.  Not getting hung up on one round or defining success by ball flight or contact when i'm working to improve my swing.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

1 hour ago, iacas said:

So, I'm only about five or six episodes in:

These guys are 11.x index players to start, and they have about 15 to 16 months to get down to 0.0 (which they unfortunately believe is "averaging even par.").

These two guys don't seem to have a clue how to do it. They're playing golf. One (maybe both?) seem to occasionally take a lesson or two. They're constantly after quick fix "feels" or "thoughts" that last a few holes, sometimes a whole round or two… They go to the range. They try to eat a little better (and never succeed).

There's no structure, no real plan. Nothing.

As I write this they're halfway through and they're at about a 9.5 and a 10.4 or something?

I completely empathize with the frustration. But I should also say, with what you are doing and your approach, (via this site) you are on the correct path with maximum leverage to combat misinformation. I can say this from my experience. 

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

I agree with @GolfLug. With what you are doing with the site @iacas (with help from @mvmac and all the great mods) I think the word is spreading about how to go about making improvements. When I've posted a question or help I need I always get the same sensical answer of get instruction and work on one priority piece at a time. People are getting it and that's because of what you do and share. 

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I see episode 13 is titled The Mentalist. I hope that’s not what I think it is. 

The thing about these target handicap or bust diaries is that they gain traction whether or not plan is sound. People click on these and some are sticky. 

I would just like to see one of these done the way I’d imagine it. One. Like a good portion of the beginning of such a diary is finding the right pro. Then stuff like holy Toledo. Camera angles. I never knew. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

In Episode 6 they're detailing range sessions. One guy, working on his driver, hit 42 and then 30 or 60 balls with a driver. He described his shots as "duck hook, pull, rope hook, rope hook, pull, at the target with a medium fade, slice, rope, rope, rope…".

No actual plan for practicing. Just beating balls. And the other guy at the end says "I like that and I think I'm going to start doing that too."

Horrible approach to improving at golf.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What's up guys - found this thread and just wanted to say ...

We completely agree with you. We had no idea what we were doing. 😂

Iacas - if you'd be willing, we'd love to have a phone call with you. Working on a better plan for season 2 right now and would love to hear your thoughts. Let me know! 

Mike 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, ChasingScratchPod said:

Iacas - if you'd be willing, we'd love to have a phone call with you. Working on a better plan for season 2 right now and would love to hear your thoughts. Let me know!

Today's no good, but tomorrow I'll have a few slices of time before 10am and after about 2:30pm.

I'll send you my # in a PM.

1 hour ago, ChasingScratchPod said:

Mike 

I was wondering if you would find the thread, ha.  I enjoyed season one and glad there will be a season 2...

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator

"Unfortunately, the swing thought that worked for the 2-iron in the middle of the fairway on the previous hole did not work for the driver I hit on 18."

No! That's not how it works!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Today's no good, but tomorrow I'll have a few slices of time before 10am and after about 2:30pm.

I'll send you my # in a PM.

Just listened the first and the last podcast. The first one was really funny. The last one without video it´s hard to get involved in the match but good enough to enjoy.

They make it clear in the beginning. No money spent in taking clases. I think that´s the path a lot of people take, me included, the cheap and slow improvement one. Obviously the worst path for the challenge.  

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

They make it clear in the beginning. No money spent in taking clases. I think that´s the path a lot of people take, me included, the cheap and slow improvement one. Obviously the worst path for the challenge.  

Pretty sure they took lessons.

Yes, they have.

And to continue their run of mistakes, the one takes the lesson and the other tries to implement it. 😛

I loved their podcast. I don’t think the listeners nor them thought they could do it but who cares, it was the journey and their love of Carl Weathers that made it so fun.

C’mon Rick!

• Thumbs Up 1

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

3 hours ago, vonbonds said:

I loved their podcast. I don’t think the listeners nor them thought they could do it but who cares, it was the journey and their love of Carl Weathers that made it so fun.

C’mon Rick!

I respect your opinion. Personally I’d like to watch  someone do it right though. The whole ‘I’m gonna get to scratch in x amount of time’ has been worn out like a 6yr olds magic trick. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I respect your opinion. Personally I’d like to watch  someone do it right though. The whole ‘I’m gonna get to scratch in x amount of time’ has been worn out like a 6yr olds magic trick. 

There are lots of serious golf entertainment outlets available online. These guys are genuine friends. I love how they interviewed their wives and weave their personal stories as they go along. If they were +3 players I think the podcast would be terribly boring. I dare say if they actually got good enough to become scratch golfers the content wouldn't be as fun to listen to.

Edited by vonbonds
NJ public school education

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

1 hour ago, vonbonds said:

There are lots of serious golf entertainment outlets available online. These guys are genuine friends. I love how they interviewed their wives and weave their personal stories as they go along. If they were +3 players I think the podcast would be terribly boring. I dare say if they actually got good enough to become scratch golfers the content wouldn't be as fun to listen to.

That’s not what I meant. I’m saying I’d like to see a guy or a group of guys who have the same things going on you mentioned but are actually making an educated attempt to become scratch. A + 3 is already better than scratch. The humor and other antics can still be there but with real practice and an actually productive attempt to improve. Watching people clown around and have no chance to improve is what I’m saying is old. Watching entertaining guys actually making real progress to the goal is what I would be tuning in for is what I’m saying. To each their own of course.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@iacas How'd you find this? There is so much noise out there, I imagine it would be hard to pick this out from all the content out there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.