IGNORED

How Far Can You Take Your Game?

Jossypit
Note: This thread is 1874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi new to the forum and golf,basically started playing 16months ago and  started on 13 and got the bug bad.im playing at a top 50 championship links course,and I’m down to playing off of 5 (category 1)  now from playing regular comps on the weekend.all self taught never had a lesson where do u guys think I could take it next cause I set targets and keep smashing them  regular like yesterday I shot level par 71 which I’m so buzzing about I came on here lol appreciate a honest opinion cheers boys 👍

13 minutes ago, Jossypit said:

Hi new to the forum and golf,basically started playing 16months ago and  started on 13 and got the bug bad.im playing at a top 50 championship links course,and I’m down to playing off of 5 (category 1)  now from playing regular comps on the weekend.all self taught never had a lesson where do u guys think I could take it next cause I set targets and keep smashing them  regular like yesterday I shot level par 71 which I’m so buzzing about I came on here lol appreciate a honest opinion cheers boys 👍

A.  Welcome to golf, and welcome to TheSandTrap

2.  You've made incredible progress very quickly.  Further progress generally comes more slowly, at last for most of us.  Now is a good time to get some instruction, to make sure you continue in the right direction.  

(c)  Please find (and use) the period and comma keys, it makes things so much easier to read.

Again, welcome to TST!  :beer:

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST. The site is happy to have you. 

For the OP shooting par after 16 months, I'd say that is tremdous progress. I would guess the OP will be breaking par sooner than later. 

I think a great test of one's true ability is to shoot the same low scores on different golf courses. I also think one's mental game comes more into play when playing different courses for those same lower scores.This should be the OP's next step. 

Myself, almost all my lowest scores are carded on my home course that I am very familiar with. Actually I am very familiar with the greens. I am some where between 3-5 strokes higher when playing unfamiliar courses. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Welcome to TST. The site is happy to have you. 

For the OP shooting par after 16 months, I'd say that is tremdous progress. I would guess the OP will be breaking par sooner than later. 

I think a great test of one's true ability is to shoot the same low scores on different golf courses. I also think one's mental game comes more into play when playing different courses for those same lower scores.This should be the OP's next step. 

Myself, almost all my lowest scores are carded on my home course that I am very familiar with. Actually I am very familiar with the greens. I am some where between 3-5 strokes higher when playing unfamiliar courses. 

Cheers man,I played 4 courses in Portugal last summer. 2 were pga  and shot low 70’s on all 4days,and played in a pro am at another course (parkland) and shot 2 over par,so I actually find away courses easier then my home club cause our  links course is mega tuff regular 20+mph winds and killer ruff so got to be straight all the time or your lose your ball quite often 

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? But, welcome to the forum. 
Shooting par after 16 months is great. Congrats. 

Next step is to make a course VLOG. I've visited Portugal a few times back 25 years ago. I recall it being beautiful. So selfishly I think you should make a course VLOG. … plus, in reality I think making one actually helps your game. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? But, welcome to the forum. 
Shooting par after 16 months is great. Congrats. 

Next step is to make a course VLOG. I've visited Portugal a few times back 25 years ago. I recall it being beautiful. So selfishly I think you should make a course VLOG. … plus, in reality I think making one actually helps your game. 

I ain’t got time to vlog I’m a full time plasterer Monday-Friday.all I was asking is how much further do u think I can take my game based on the info I’ve given cheers 

Welcome to TST! Your progress and learning curve are impressive. Congratulations.

I agree with the other comments here. Now is a good time to get instruction to maintain your talent and improve on it with a solid foundation which will carry you, consistently, throughout your golf adventure. 

Nave

4 minutes ago, Nave said:

Welcome to TST! Your progress and learning curve are impressive. Congratulations.

I agree with the other comments here. Now is a good time to get instruction to maintain your talent and improve on it with a solid foundation which will carry you, consistently, throughout your golf adventure. 

Cheers pal,nice one,I have been tempted to have lessons with a pro at my club but i need to get some decent irons first,I’m still using game improvement irons 5-Pw lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jossypit said:

Cheers pal,nice one,I have been tempted to have lessons with a pro at my club but i need to get some decent irons first,I’m still using game improvement irons 5-Pw lol

You'll be making pretty much the same swing, no matter what your clubs are.  

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

It would be interesting to know what you’ve been doing in 16mos that brought you to shooting even par. Don’t really need to VLOG per say but just one video of you hitting would be nice. A DTL and FO view is all that’s needed. It’s extremely rare for one to shoot par in 16mos without any lessons. It’s definitely harder to go lower from the 70’s to 60’s than it is from the 90’s to the 80’s. But tell us how you did it. Or better, show us the swing. Cheers!

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to How Far Can You Take Your Game?
22 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It would be interesting to know what you’ve been doing in 16mos that brought you to shooting even par. Don’t really need to VLOG per say but just one video of you hitting would be nice. A DTL and FO view is all that’s needed. It’s extremely rare for one to shoot par in 16mos without any lessons. It’s definitely harder to go lower from the 70’s to 60’s than it is from the 90’s to the 80’s. But tell us how you did it. Or better, show us the swing. Cheers!

so I joined  at saunton  championship links course 16months ago, put 3 cards in and started on 13 and have just kept going down, from playing weekend medals/stablefords. No lessons,No thought process I play for fun and I think my swing is just natural  bud I’ll try and upload a vid so u can  check it out and would appreciate your opinion cheers pal

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 11:35 AM, Jossypit said:

You’re 2 months better than Greg Norman!

hope you go pro someday 😁

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

You’re 2 months better than Greg Norman!

hope you go pro someday 😁

Troubles is I’m a 32year old plasterer from England,with many trade injuries mainly tendinitis lol

28 minutes ago, Jossypit said:

so I joined  at saunton  championship links course 16months ago, put 3 cards in and started on 13 and have just kept going down, from playing weekend medals/stablefords. No lessons,No thought process I play for fun and I think my swing is just natural  bud I’ll try and upload a vid so u can  check it out and would appreciate your opinion cheers pal

Be sure to read this bit

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

to get the best possible angles for your videos.  Then post them in this thread:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Click on Reveal Hidden Contents to see how that thread works best.  Once again, welcome to TST!

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

There are stories of people picking up the game relatively late in life and going on to experience incredible success. But obviously those are extremely rare. 

Based on your trajectory and the fact that you have already shot even par, it's clear that your ceiling is fairly high. But if you are like most of us, you will struggle with consistency due to limited time and other commitments of work/family/life.

Here in my neck of the woods, I play with a handful of guys that got fairly serious about golf later in life. Some of them are pretty good, but most cap out around a 4 index or so. All the low single digit guys in my club played seriously as juniors or in college. 

Heck, even Dan McLaughlin, who dedicated 5 years of his life to improving at golf couldn't get within a few shots of scratch before back injuries derailed him. 

My guess is that - despite your obvious talent - you will hit a wall around the 3/4 index range and find it incredibly difficult to break through that barrier. Hopefully you can prove me wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

What next? Get quality instruction, practice right, practice more, play with folks better than you. If you haven't gotten fit for clubs, make sure you do so. 

But what's really bothering me is this I-am-busy-monday-thru-friday nonsense. You don't got time for that shit. Marry you a sugar mama and get right to the real business my man. Life's short you know.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

6 hours ago, Jossypit said:

Troubles is I’m a 32year old plasterer from England,with many trade injuries mainly tendinitis lol

Ouch, but at least you can play damned good golf for your enjoyment 😁

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 hours ago, GolfLug said:

What next? Get quality instruction, practice right, practice more, play with folks better than you. If you haven't gotten fit for clubs, make sure you do so. 

But what's really bothering me is this I-am-busy-monday-thru-friday nonsense. You don't got time for that shit. Marry you a sugar mama and get right to the real business my man. Life's short you know.

Cheers for the advice pal. and u are rite life is way too short so I’m gonna have some lessons with my pro and see where it goes.plus I’m self employed so I could try and take some time off for the summer and practice cause I don’t really practice just play the comps on a weekend.

Note: This thread is 1874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!