IGNORED

Driver Inaccuracy Issues

claypotsmoke
Note: This thread is 1862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone else have this issue:

When I hit my driver well it goes 300 yards, when I hit it very poorly it can go 150 yards and be a dead pull.  

So when I am playing I have to wait for the foursome in front of me to get away from 300, and if I do a dead pull then it takes recovery time and the foursome in front might already be finished by the time I am hitting my second shot slowing things down.

Anyone else have this issue?

No, but it sounds awkward.  Similar to waiting for a par-5 green to clear then cold topping a 3 wood.  Sounds like significant swing-path/timing issue but I'll let the teachers take it.  Just know I feel for you and offer my emotional support.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, claypotsmoke said:

When I hit my driver well it goes 300 yards, when I hit it very poorly it can go 150 yards and be a dead pull.  

So when I am playing I have to wait for the foursome in front of me to get away from 300, and if I do a dead pull then it takes recovery time and the foursome in front might already be finished by the time I am hitting my second shot slowing things down. 

I definitely don't have the 300 yd problem, but dead pull, that I can relate to.

Are you more consistent if you dial it back a little? If you want anyone to look at your swing, post a video of in the Member Swings section.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, claypotsmoke said:

Yes. I don't quite get it as far as you do, but absolutely. I feel stupid when I duff one after waiting for the group ahead to clear but better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This is more a mental issue than anything else.  Now that you have waited for the players in front of you to clear 300 yards, you feel compelled to show that you could actually hit it that far.  That causes you to tense up and hit it badly.  You need to be able to not worry about it.  Hitting it easy is when you tend to have the best results.  You swing best and most accurately.  I also go through this, so I have started consciously making an effort to not put stress on myself to hit it well.  A blank mind works for me.  You need to find what works for you and your game will improve.

• Like 2

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• iacas changed the title to Driver Inaccuracy Issues

Sounds like you need to work on your swing to get it to be more consistent. 

I would highly recommend seeking out a good teaching pro and working with him/her to develop a more consistent swing.

I see many people who can connect once in a while for 270 yds + drives, but more often than not will hit bad shots that result in <200 yds.  They always think they can hit 270 yds + drives because once in a while they can, but in reality they average ~200 yds or less due to poor swing.

• Like 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

18 hours ago, claypotsmoke said:

The dead pull shot sounds strange. Typically a pull will go nearly as far as a good drive. Are you sure it's not something like a low-spin snap hook that just falls out of the air?

Describe the dead pull shot? How high off the ground does it get? Where do you feel the impact on the clubface?

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I would highly recommend seeking out a good teaching pro and working with him/her to develop a more consistent swing.

Don't confuse consistent swing with consistent result.

Good chances are his swing is already consistent, he just needs to fix whatever his swing flaw is that is causing the poor impact conditions which will (once fixed) result in a more consistent result.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

17 hours ago, pganapathy said:

This is more a mental issue than anything else.  Now that you have waited for the players in front of you to clear 300 yards, you feel compelled to show that you could actually hit it that far.  That causes you to tense up and hit it badly.

More than likely not.  I smoked a perfect 5W on a par 5 this summer seconds after stupidly reading an urgent and infuriating text message.  Make no mistake, I was not calm at all and I'm sure many of us have hit great shots even played great rounds while being pissed off or stressed out.

@claypotsmoke, creating a swing thread would help, I'm no instructor, but as @saevel25 mentioned I'm having trouble seeing a straight up pull that flies significantly shorter than a straight shot other than a duck hook, and I've hit A LOT of both lol.

• Like 1

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Maybe slow down a little. Less swing speed will gave you more control over the swing and give you more chances to have a more consistent ball striking.
With that a good stroke would go 250sh but a bad one will go 220sh. Both ways have 225 yards in average and your dispersion will be smaller. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The dead pull shot sounds strange. Typically a pull will go nearly as far as a good drive. Are you sure it's not something like a low-spin snap hook that just falls out of the air?

Describe the dead pull shot? How high off the ground does it get? Where do you feel the impact on the clubface?

My reaction to this hit is I wish I could throw a baseball pitch like this shot :).  Best description of this is a great baseball slider.  Doesn't get the normal air and clearly the spin pulls it left and down pretty fast.  Not as sure about where I connect.

That said, I think much of this has been caused by me bending my left arm on the backswing way too much...which I recently figured out.

4 hours ago, Yukari said:

I see many people who can connect once in a while for 270 yds + drives, but more often than not will hit bad shots that result in <200 yds.  They always think they can hit 270 yds + drives because once in a while they can, but in reality they average ~200 yds or less due to poor swing. 

You been watching me?

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

2 hours ago, claypotsmoke said:

My reaction to this hit is I wish I could throw a baseball pitch like this shot :).  Best description of this is a great baseball slider.  Doesn't get the normal air and clearly the spin pulls it left and down pretty fast. 

That's a duck hook 🦆

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!