IGNORED

My New Edel Putter

Note: This thread is 1832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay so a couple weeks back I went out to see @iacas and he fit me for a new putter. As many of you know he is an Edel putter fitter.

Anyway the process was pretty informative and took something like an hour. By the end of it we worked out specifications on a putter which I could aim inside the hole from about 20 feet away and fine tuned it even further with a couple of line on putter. It was pretty interesting and I feel confident now that I can point this thing at the hole. 

After that we worked with head weights and counter weights to get to a point where I was putting consistent distances. When that was completed we had a series of "specs" that should leave me with very few excuses. After all of that I picked out a few colors and added my initials, then 2 weeks and 1 day later I had my putter in my hands. 

Since the weather where I live has either been ugly or I've had to handle work stuff I haven't got to play with it yet. I can tell you I can roll a ball down a yard stick with it very consistently. I'm looking forward to using it. It should give me a lot of confidence to know that when I put it down I am in fact aiming the face at the target. 

If you are thinking of getting this done. I'd encourage you to give it a try. As of now I think it is a good investment of time and money. I'll try to update after I get to play some rounds with the putter and evaluate my putting stats. I've kept all my data from last year so I should be easily able to compare. 

2 things you need to know:

1 - The round grip takes some getting used to. After using it a little bit and thinking about it, it does make a lot of sense. 

2 - Edel putters aren't pretty. They look okay, but if you are one of those folks who like the look of a Scotty Cameron or some of the other fancy-shmancy looking putters out there. The Edel, by comparison, is very utilitarian, almost bland looking. If the balls rolling in the cup more often, however, than it will look great to me. 

Here's some photos:seven.thumb.jpg.966bb1bc55e8c1a9a56918ca0d8e67c6.jpgthree.thumb.jpg.b5836036685967078684dfbeff314e83.jpgtwo.thumb.jpg.822c4a4af63e42a622498e7e7e8b1123.jpgfive.thumb.jpg.06cca48cafa53e20bcfc5a2d50f92e8a.jpg

I'll try to update this post once I have a reasonable amount of data. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Beautiful putter. Best of luck.

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

That's "bland looking"?  To my eye, it's absolutely stunning.  The mid mallet head shape is perfect and I really like the cleaner "less is more" look.  IF I had to pick something I don't like, I would have gone with a different paint fill.  Gorgeous putter and sounds like it was money well spent.  I hope it treats you as well as it looks.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Yeah, I think Edel putters are beautiful, too, personally. They look a lot like certain Scotty Camerons to me.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

2 - Edel putters aren't pretty.

Uhhhhhh…

34 minutes ago, SPJr said:

Beautiful putter. Best of luck.

Yeah…

19 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

That's "bland looking"?  To my eye, it's absolutely stunning.  The mid mallet head shape is perfect and I really like the cleaner "less is more" look.  IF I had to pick something I don't like, I would have gone with a different paint fill.  Gorgeous putter and sounds like it was money well spent.  I hope it treats you as well as it looks.

I'm with those people.

1 minute ago, DeadMan said:

Yeah, I think Edel putters are beautiful, too, personally. They look a lot like certain Scotty Camerons to me.

And one more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My first thought was "That is a GREAT looking putter."  I can't believe you think it is bland ??

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

(edited)

Geez, now I feel bad. Don't get me wrong I like the putter a lot. Some putters have a unique distinct look. I don't really feel the Edel putters have that. It has a much more understated look. If not for the round grip from a distance you wouldn't know which brand it is right away. I want to make clear though that I thought that even before I went to get fit for it. So, I am in no way disappointed. The feel is great. And like I said the most important thing is that I can line it up at the target. 

I only mentioned it to be complete in my description. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

What's the significance of the round grip?

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

2 - Edel putters aren't pretty. They look okay, but if you are one of those folks who like the look of a Scotty Cameron or some of the other fancy-shmancy looking putters out there.

Just had to add I think your putter is damn good looking! I find the only thing fancy looking about the Scotty Cameron putters is the name...Scotty Cameron. I’d take yours. A little wine...a little music.....😉

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

25 minutes ago, SPJr said:

One thing is for sure. It encourages you to aim the face of the putter first. Then to build your stance around an aimed face. With a traditional grip you may have the tendency to build your stance around your grip, rather than around the aimed face of the putter. 

There may be other reasons. But that's my observation. 

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Just had to add I think your putter is damn good looking! I find the only thing fancy looking about the Scotty Cameron putters is the name...Scotty Cameron. I’d take yours. A little wine...a little music.....😉

Great comment. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Edel putters aren't pretty. They look okay, but if you are one of those folks who like the look of a Scotty Cameron or some of the other fancy-shmancy looking putters out there. The Edel, by comparison, is very utilitarian, almost bland looking. If the balls rolling in the cup more often, however, than it will look great to me. 

Here's some photos:seven.thumb.jpg.966bb1bc55e8c1a9a56918ca0d8e67c6.jpgthree.thumb.jpg.b5836036685967078684dfbeff314e83.jpgtwo.thumb.jpg.822c4a4af63e42a622498e7e7e8b1123.jpgfive.thumb.jpg.06cca48cafa53e20bcfc5a2d50f92e8a.jpg

I disagree, as well. It's not flashy but it certain looks good. There's an elegance to its simplicity.

28 minutes ago, SPJr said:

For aim. The whole point if the putter fitting is to get a putter you can aim at your intended target. You'd be surprised how often a putter grip isn't aligned properly when installed. The round grip eliminates that variable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

For aim. The whole point if the putter fitting is to get a putter you can aim at your intended target. You'd be surprised how often a putter grip isn't aligned properly when installed. The round grip eliminates that variable.

Bingo.

12 minutes ago, billchao said:

This is what I was thinking when I read that question.  You take a non-square putter grip that isn't aligned properly upon install, and it makes it very awkward when trying to align your putt, in my opinion anyway.

I have almost completely updated every club in my bag except the putter. It will be next and my plan is to have an Edel fitting.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator

Suffice to say we can trust @ChetlovesMer's taste in putters about as much as his taste in belt color…

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Suffice to say we can trust @ChetlovesMer's taste in putters about as much as his taste in belt color…

touche'

I hope a little jealousy isn’t a bad thing here. 

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Idk I picked up a new putter at the beginning of last year but this is making me rethink my decision. May need to look into getting fit for an Edel.

Note: This thread is 1832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!