IGNORED

Hitting Mats Injury Risk?

Note: This thread is 1857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello there.

I thought of buying some hitting mat in order to practice when I am not able to go to the course, but I started to read many users that had issues with their elbows for using those mats.

Is it possible to use them without being injured? Would you recommend any mat? 

Thanks!

(edited)
36 minutes ago, Rodoalo said:

Hello there.

I thought of buying some hitting mat in order to practice when I am not able to go to the course, but I started to read many users that had issues with their elbows for using those mats.

Is it possible to use them without being injured? Would you recommend any mat? 

Thanks!

I think most of the people that stated they were having issues were using the CCE hitting mats. Most of those guys changed to the Truestrike mats. I have a mat at home ( I cannot remember where I bought it now) but I have had no issues with mine. When you get into the truestrike type mats, you are spending big bucks. Mine was fairly cheap.I'll try to remember where I got it and update.

Edited by TN94z
  • Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Hitting Mats Injury Risk?

And, you can suffer injuries hitting on natural turf if it's hard enough and you're slamming the clubhead into ground! I ginched my left wrist pretty bad hitting out of a packed sand bunker after a rain. Should have played a different kind of shot!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

And, you can suffer injuries hitting on natural turf if it's hard enough and you're slamming the clubhead into ground! I ginched my left wrist pretty bad hitting out of a packed sand bunker after a rain. Should have played a different kind of shot!

On 3/25/2019 at 11:26 AM, TN94z said:

I think most of the people that stated they were having issues were using the CCE hitting mats. Most of those guys changed to the Truestrike mats. I have a mat at home ( I cannot remember where I bought it now) but I have had no issues with mine. When you get into the truestrike type mats, you are spending big bucks. Mine was fairly cheap.I'll try to remember where I got it and update.

Thank you very much!

I thought of buying some cheap hitting mat and put some cushion texture underneath the same (such as a yoga mat, made of rubber, or something else), in order to avoid injuries.

Do you think that could work to protect myself?

2 minutes ago, Rodoalo said:

Thank you very much!

I thought of buying some cheap hitting mat and put some cushion texture underneath the same (such as a yoga mat, made of rubber, or something else), in order to avoid injuries.

Do you think that could work to protect myself?

I’ve seen one example of a guy that built something like that for his simulator. If I can find it, I’ll post the link up here. I’ll look tomorrow

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Those smooth, firmer rubber mats that courses lay on concrete are more injury prone, than the bushy ones that more closely resemble actual shorter rough turf. Something that might allow the ball to sink into alittle.

If the mat has little, or no give to it, the golfer should use a short tee. 

I use a personal mat from time to time that is bowed/crowned up about an inch.  When I strike the ball, the mat gives a little. This type of mat mimics taking a divot.  

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Your joints are worth it, and I would recommend buying something with multiple thick layers even though it may cost $$$. Sometimes one 'fat' shot could be enough to cause an injury (thin mat on a wooden or concrete floor). I found this image on the internet. If you do a search you will likely find multiple brands with thick, layered mats. 

YGT-3d-optishot-hitting-mats-golf-indoor.thumb.jpg.5da866438487497cd4c62ff7ccc022f5.jpg

Nave

@Rodoalo

I have a 20 x 36" hitting section for the link below. It is a really good mat in that it is thick and padded to reduce stress on the wrists and give you some feedback if your shots are heavy. I built a little hitting platform to stand on so I didn't have to buy a big mat. If you have a relatively flat place to set up a net, you could just get the hitting strips to save some money. There are others out there like this one, but I think Real Feel is the best of this style mat.

I

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

@Rodoalo

I have a 20 x 36" hitting section for the link below. It is a really good mat in that it is thick and padded to reduce stress on the wrists and give you some feedback if your shots are heavy. I built a little hitting platform to stand on so I didn't have to buy a big mat. If you have a relatively flat place to set up a net, you could just get the hitting strips to save some money. There are others out there like this one, but I think Real Feel is the best of this style mat.

I

8 hours ago, Patch said:

Those smooth, firmer rubber mats that courses lay on concrete are more injury prone, than the bushy ones that more closely resemble actual shorter rough turf. Something that might allow the ball to sink into alittle.

If the mat has little, or no give to it, the golfer should use a short tee. 

I use a personal mat from time to time that is bowed/crowned up about an inch.  When I strike the ball, the mat gives a little. This type of mat mimics taking a divot.  

5 hours ago, Nave said:

Your joints are worth it, and I would recommend buying something with multiple thick layers even though it may cost $$$. Sometimes one 'fat' shot could be enough to cause an injury (thin mat on a wooden or concrete floor). I found this image on the internet. If you do a search you will likely find multiple brands with thick, layered mats. 

YGT-3d-optishot-hitting-mats-golf-indoor.thumb.jpg.5da866438487497cd4c62ff7ccc022f5.jpg

Thank you!

Since I’ll probably be using the hitting mat over concrete, do you think it would be advisable to put some extra rubber platform underneath the mat? Even though I buy the best ones such as Real Feel Elite or Fiberbuilt

8 minutes ago, Rodoalo said:

Thank you!

Since I’ll probably be using the hitting mat over concrete, do you think it would be advisable to put some extra rubber platform underneath the mat? Even though I buy the best ones such as Real Feel Elite or Fiberbuilt

I use this mat on concrete at another place and it works fine. It has a soft rubber base. The whole mat is 1 1/2" thick, so you may want to make or get a mat to stand on too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Helpful thread. I have an old mat that worn down and isn't super-thick so am looking for a new one.

One concern I have is that I have wooden floors and a downstairs neighbor, and want to protect them from noise as much as possible. Do you think the Truestrike helps with noise more than just a standard thick mat?

I wonder if people that buy their own mats get injured just because they are hitting a lot MORE shots every day when they first get them than usual and the mat types are just a minor thing.  that said, a good mat is still nice because it's more like the real thing.  I have a monster turf and it's great.  There's a few good brands out there.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!