IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I don't really care what other people wear.  My point was that you don't have to spend a lot of money on golf clothes to meet the basic dress codes that some courses enforce.  As others have stated I've seen the golf pro wanna be with their staff bag, tour clubs, Puma color corrdinated shirt and shorts throw clubs, not fix divots and act like drunken idiots.  I've also seen guys in jean shorts carrying worn non brand bags and clubs that fix divots and make the day enjoyable.  The clothes don't pre-determine how the person will act or play.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for someone who enjoys golf to purchase a pair of khaki shorts and golf shirt for when they play just as many people own a suit that they only wear to funerals and weddings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I like to look nice, but would rather be paired with a guy shooting a 75 in jeans than a 95 in designer golf slacks. Maybe I'm reading this thread wrong, but a lot of Walter Mitty types like to play dress up and pretend they're in the show whereas some guys just want to play golf.

Some guys - in their own words - enjoy playing dress up. They might also be the same guys who think it's more important to understand the ball flight laws enough to join the golf debate team whether or not they can actually hit any of the shots they talk about, or the guy who value the aesthetics of certain address positions and other random "Ps" over actual scoring but that would be a coincidence.

Personally I laugh when I read posts where guys get shot down for playing clubs that aren't the golf equivalent of training wheels because those guys must be pretending to be better than they really are, but when it comes to fashion, the forum is riddled with Rickie Fowler wannabes . . . just so long as you don't use his forged irons.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

when it comes to fashion, the forum is riddled with Rickie Fowler wannabes . . . just so long as you don't use his forged irons.

No, Shorty made it clear that we need to go easy on the orange.

Originally Posted by Shorty

And like a kid in their sports iniform, there's a bit of fantasy there which is no bad thing for us grown ups.

Yup.  Since my football days are over, I sort of miss wearing a uniform and "looking" like an athlete.  Since I don't want to play in pickup rec leagues for things like basketball and flag football so as to avoid injury, golf is pretty much the only time I get to do that.  I generally dress pretty nice on the course as I have a golfing attire section of my wardrobe now.  But I save my favorite shirts/shorts for ncga sanctioned tournaments.  I like to pretend I'm in a professional event...minus the long pants

Originally Posted by Jefferey13

I agree with this. And it's not always about status or being elite. To me its just about being appropriate.

What's appropriate is dictated by each course.  That point seems to be getting lost on some people.  This discussion is (fairly) being treated as somewhat of an unwritten ethical/moral/status code.  That's fair because it's arguable.  But if you golf at a course that allows jeans and tank tops, you have no right to be pissed off about it, and judging the people that dress appropriately according to that course's dress code says as much about the person judging as it does about the person (not) dressing up.

The last few sentences aren't directed at you personally, but to the people who are outspoken about being judgemental (calling them jackasses, or classless, etc).  And the whole thing about dressing for jobs analogy isn't really applicable as that has to do with career, and this is a leisure activity.

Brandon

• Upvote 2

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

My ma told me to dress however I felt appropriate wherever I went so long as I knew and got that others would judge me for the choices I made. If you don't give a rat's ass what others think of you wear some crumpled cargos or an old tshirt or Levis-I dont like to give people a reason not to think Im a good guy.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bplewis24

What's appropriate is dictated by each course.  That point seems to be getting lost on some people.  This discussion is (fairly) being treated as somewhat of an unwritten ethical/moral/status code.  That's fair because it's arguable.  But if you golf at a course that allows jeans and tank tops, you have no right to be pissed off about it, and judging the people that dress appropriately according to that course's dress code says as much about the person judging as it does about the person (not) dressing up.

The last few sentences aren't directed at you personally, but to the people who are outspoken about being judgemental (calling them jackasses, or classless, etc).  And the whole thing about dressing for jobs analogy isn't really applicable as that has to do with career, and this is a leisure activity.

Brandon

excellent, totally agree with this

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

• Administrator

Stick to the topic and contribute meaningfully to the conversation, please. One post edited, another removed due to off-topic nonsense and name-calling.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Stick to the topic and contribute meaningfully to the conversation, please. One post edited, another removed due to off-topic nonsense and name-calling.

The topic is 4 years old. Could someone make comments that touch on dress code in another thread without them being moved or merged into this one?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Let's tee it up........

gwar01_080523daily.jpg

HEHE....I wouldn't mind playing a round of golf with this guy.   Yea....that's JD.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Let's tee it up........

HEHE....I wouldn't mind playing a round of golf with this guy.   Yea....that's JD.

I'm pretty sure I've played with this guy's brother.

• Upvote 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

I like to look nice, but would rather be paired with a guy shooting a 75 in jeans than a 95 in designer golf slacks. Maybe I'm reading this thread wrong, but a lot of Walter Mitty types like to play dress up and pretend they're in the show whereas some guys just want to play golf.

Why is it always "I'd rather be paired with a guy wearing jeans shooting 80 than a guy looking like Poulter shooting 130"? It's not like the better dressed guys are all full of themselves and hack it around the course like some seem to make it out. We're talking about dress codes here, not how good or bad someone plays. In my experience, the better dressed a guy is, the better his game is. Still got nothing to do with the topic at hand here, how people dress on the course, regardless of how they play.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

I'm pretty sure I've played with this guy's brother.

John Daly has a brother?

What's in Paul's Bag:

We never had a dress code at our club until recently.  We, the members got to put our input in on it and decide as a majority, and the new dress code:

NO TANK TOPS

That's it.  Jeans, OK.  T-Shirts, OK.

I won't go to the course in jeans or a T-Shirt, but that's just the way I was taught. It was one of the first unofficial rules I was taught, about the same time I was taught not to talk after someone addressed their ball.  Some of the guys that I play with all the time wear nice jeans, no torn up crap and it doesn't bother me.  I couldn't imagine walking 18 holes in 90 degree heat in jeans or jean shorts though.  Khakis or nice looking shorts for me.  But as long as you respect the game and the course, and aren't nasty dirty looking, I don't care what you wear at the course.

This rocker is a classy golfer:

s080625_golf.jpg

LOL...............he's even got the BUD tallboy.

What's in Paul's Bag:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

This rocker is a classy golfer:

LOL...............he's even got the BUD tallboy.

hmm... not wearing a wife-beater, definitely can't accuse him of wearing baggy pants... according to the OP, this guy is doing alright!

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Alice Cooper is a perfect example for this thread, the guy that my parents thought was evil and would destroy my mind as a kid goes from this:

alicecooper_299x368_0.jpg

To this when he's on the golf course:

alice-cooper.jpg

• Administrator
Originally Posted by The Tin Man

Wealthy, Politicaly Conservative and a author of a golf book.

And he wears non-denim pants and a polo shirt (or a cardigan) when playing golf. Maybe I missed it but what's the point of showing Alice Cooper?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!