IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by AirMick

The ones who ask personal questions. Let's keep it golf, ok?

I usually don't mind generic questions, like about where I work and things like that.

But for some reason the last 4 times I've been paired up people, within 4 holes they've all asked me if I had a church I went to, or where I went to church at.  Just seems odd that it happens constantly lately, do I really look like I'm that much of a hell-raiser?

I don't see what the problem is here. It sounds like 'Let's keep it golf, ok'? is another way of saying that you don't like playing golf with strangers. Small talk and finding common ground with pairings is part of life, and in particular part of golf - getting to know people, making new acquaintances etc. If you're going to get wound up by people being cordial, maybe you should just play alone.

Originally Posted by wolfsburg2

I'm a hack as well, breaking 100 is a good day for me. I believe as long as you are keeping a good pace of play most people will be happy having you in their group. I play pretty fast, probably hurt my score at times as a result. I don't look for lost balls for more than a few seconds. I don't stand in the fairway or at the tee for 30 seconds griping about a bad shot. Hit the ball and move along. Be ready to hit when its your turn, be ready to putt when its your turn etc.

^^This.  Played my 1st round of the season last week with two buddies....our scores were 110,117,120 and we still managed to turn in a 4h 10m round which I think is reasonable.  We aren't the greatest but we aren't the slowest either.

Originally Posted by Edgk

I hate when singles come out in prime time and you get paired with them. I didn't come to spend the day with a stranger and a single should NEVER complain with whom he gets paired. Beggars can't be choosers. I think a lot of the slow players complaining about being rushed are most likely way worse than they realize. It takes a lot to get people jacked up behind you. The guy who claims he gets rushed while playing a 4-4.5hr round? Come on! No way you get pushed in LI while playing at that pace. More like you play a 5-5.5 hr round. Biggest peeve is all of the weak golfers who have petty complaints about the way other people play.

Wait a sec. A single should never complain about who they're paired with but you can complain about being paired with a single? And you're peeved at other's "Petty" complaints?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Motley01

Let me guess, you're one of the guys in the stands at the Eagles Stadium, yelling at all the players that "YOU SUCK!!!!".

you need to be way more specific then "one of the guys yelling you suck" there are 65k of them yelling that and some of them are grandmothers!! nobody comes into our house and thinks they should feel welcome!

funny tidbit, my oldest son is now almost 14, about 6 years ago he was with me, my father and another friend at an eagles/giants, standing on the seat of his chair so he could see, joining in a stadium wide gaints suck chant during player introductions...ahhh good times. My dad thought it was awesome, when he went home and told his mother it was one of his favorite parts...well she was not impressed!! lucky for me he didn't say anything about the tailgating before the game!!!

good times!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by Dialit

I don't see what the problem is here. It sounds like 'Let's keep it golf, ok'? is another way of saying that you don't like playing golf with strangers. Small talk and finding common ground with pairings is part of life, and in particular part of golf - getting to know people, making new acquaintances etc. If you're going to get wound up by people being cordial, maybe you should just play alone.

I didn't read his post that way at all.  He said personal questions, not small talk, cordiality nor making new acquaintances.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bwdial

Doesn't Know as Much as He Thinks Verbal Diarrhea Guy.

Really?  Your swing has more moving parts than a Rube Goldberg machine and you think you're qualified to give swing tips?  Oh, and you hit that shot off the hosel.  Golf clubs don't have a nozzle.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.  Need this laugh today.  "Nozzle!" (Scream)

Anti-social, are we?  I like going as a single on the weekends because I get to meet a lot of different and interesting people that way.  Besides none of my golf buddies like to play early on weekends.  I have never met anyone or any group that did not enjoy playing with other golfers--be it strangers or acquaintances.

For a guy from the city of "Brotherly love", you sure sound like a real "fun" guy to be around.

Originally Posted by Edgk

I hate when singles come out in prime time and you get paired with them. I didn't come to spend the day with a stranger and a single should NEVER complain with whom he gets paired. Beggars can't be choosers. I think a lot of the slow players complaining about being rushed are most likely way worse than they realize. It takes a lot to get people jacked up behind you. The guy who claims he gets rushed while playing a 4-4.5hr round? Come on! No way you get pushed in LI while playing at that pace. More like you play a 5-5.5 hr round. Biggest peeve is all of the weak golfers who have petty complaints about the way other people play.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Talking. I hate when some guy is trying to correct my swing when he is not too many strokes off of my score. Guys who swear they are usually better than they are playing. Any kind of talking on teh box that is not realted to the hole. Dumb jokes. And I hate hearing, "Mulligan" more than once a round. "How many was that?"; I don't know, keep your own damn score. This is with people I get paired up with. My usualy golf buddies, I don't care what they say; I'll talk shit to them wither way.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

Quote:

Then fill your own foursome, no?

I think being paired with people is sometimes one of the gifts golf can offer. It's a great way to make some new pals.

Agree entirely.  I almost always play as a walk-on with a group of 2 or 3 who know each other but not me.  I try to behave appropriately and almost always it's a very pleasant experience.  In fact it's the main way that I get to meet people not of my acquaintance - all walks of life.  I don't consider myself a "beggar" who "can't be a chooser" (remark made by poster other than Erik), I'm just a golfer.  But solo's need to make the effort to fit in with the group (not at all difficult imho) and be sure not to annoy or irritate, e.g. with slower play, too much commentary etc etc.  These days I tend to keep a low profile unless the group seems to want more active participation in the conversation.  I try hard to be helpful with finding balls and in other ways, people really appreciate that (as do I).

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Imagine playing golf with someone with this attitude!!!!

Dear me.

Are you so ashamed or embarrassed about your life that you can't cope with non golf related conversation?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

the only reason i dont like playing with strangers is because my golf game SUCKS!

In bag(15 years old on budget):

Driver- Taylor Made Burner 09

3 Wood- Dunlop Loco

3 Hybrid- Walter Hagen AWX

4,5 Hybrid- Nicklaus Polarity

6-SW- Nicklaus Polarity Irons

Putter- Top Flite

Balls- Callaway War Bird

I normally don,t mind being paired up w/ strangers ,but this old man kinda pissed me off today.I was in back of him off of the tee box,about 3yds. away when he says  " Marc could u move to my left so I dont see u in my backswing".So I say sure.We tee off and when we arrivve at our 2nd shots he,s away so as he hits his buddy is right behind him.I say to myself "I,ll be a s.o.b. he tells me to move and his buddy is 2 ft. away.Am I being irrational or wtf?

WITB:

Taylormade R11 Driver

Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy #3 Hybrid

Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy #4 Hybrid

Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 5-PW

Cally Jaws X Series Wedges 50,54,58*

Ping I Series Putter 34"

Taylormade Penta Ball and TP Black LDP

Rain Gear and a bunch of other crap

Originally Posted by marcv68

I normally don,t mind being paired up w/ strangers ,but this old man kinda pissed me off today.I was in back of him off of the tee box,about 3yds. away when he says  " Marc could u move to my left so I dont see u in my backswing".So I say sure.We tee off and when we arrivve at our 2nd shots he,s away so as he hits his buddy is right behind him.I say to myself "I,ll be a s.o.b. he tells me to move and his buddy is 2 ft. away.Am I being irrational or wtf?

I wouldn't really care...he's probably just too chicken to say something to his friend about it but knew that he'd have no confrontation with you, the stranger.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

1. slow/not ready to hit. 2. anger management issues. 3. unsolicited advice giver

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

I have a good friend of mine who just started playing golf last year. I play with him about once a week and the biggest thing he does that just gets to me is " Can you tell me what I got, I think it was an 8 but i dont know". Other then that, I really dont care who I play with as long as they stay quite when I am over the ball.

Superfast 2.0 Driver 10.5*

Superfast 2.0 3 Wood 15*

G5 hybrid 19*

i20 4 - PW, UW, SW, LW

G2i Craz E Putter

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!