IGNORED

Making singles reservations

ejimsmith
Note: This thread is 4440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play primarily as a single, and I know from experience what policies are in effect at the the courses I like to play. At my favorite executive course, I can usually walk on by myself with no issues. The course near my old college campus doesn't accept singles' tee times, but all I have to do is call the clubhouse when I want to play and ask if there's a two- or threesome that needs to be filled. My favorite course is a semi-private club that typically offers great rates at Golfnow, and there are always members on the tee I can group with. The resort course down the road requires tee times for singles, and I've played on my own most of my rounds there.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I play almost exclusively as a single and usually don't have a problem getting on in :30 or so of showing up. There are times I have to rush out as the group I'm with is on the tee box or next up. I figure it's the price I pay for being a single. If I really wanted a set time, I would probably call for a twosomes and use an excuse why my partner didn't show. Most all the courses I play regularly have let me out by myself if the conditions allow it; this usually occurs either early morning, late afternoon or in the off season.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

I play every (well almost, I do have a life that's not golf) Saturday on my own at the course I'm a member of. That way I get to practice all the stuff I want. Just put on my iPod and away I go. I rock up for first light and start off the 10th. It's that much of a habit I don't even book anymore. I can always fit in 30 minutes of warm up too. Sometimes if there's a 2 or 3 ball when I go to the tee I'll ask to join them, but most of the time they let me tee of first. I do then play later in the afternoon with friends. They somtimes come early as well. It's just how I've always done it. Yes I have an amazingly understanding wife.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Since I'm in graduate school I play every other morning during the week and save the weekend for my wife and kids.  I play by myself 9 times out of 10 although occasionally one of my friends will find a way to drag themselves out of bed and meet me at the tee box by 07:30 (all of the current and former military members on here should understand why I always seem to wake up around 5:30 no matter what).

I have never had a problem getting on, I just show up at 07:00 and play 9 starting on the 10th and never see a soul except for the groundskeepers my entire round, it is amazingly peaceful, plus being 2 hours ahead of everyone affords me all the bunker practice I want (and need).

I HATE being paired with strangers, but luckily every where I've been so far I've been able to just play alone, even on vacations.  I'm just lucky I guess.

When there's a will, there's a way.  Not that I would advocate that you do something underhanded, but you could always set a tee time for a two-some.  However, when you get there, just tell them that your bud got hit by a bus, won the lotto and left you high and dry to date a super model, whatever.  Since you'd probably be paired with another two-some on the schedule in advance, they'll just add a single from the waiting list.  Viola, you're playing at a set time...

Similar situation where my wife and I wanted to play together - just the two of us. I booked a tee time for four at a course where they needed a credit card for reservations.. When "the other couple" stood us up, the course wanted to charge me for four players. We got matched up with a twosome anyway. Moral: be careful and know the course's policy on cancellations. I also play as a single often. Don't mind the company, but very few friends play and, it 's nice to be done in 3 hours. Obviously, playing at off- peak hours.

Today was a great day for golf.  Forecast called for non-stop rain throughout the entire day.  It stopped about 9AM, but cloud cover was still there.  I went out at 11AM to a local course and there was a single about 3 holes in front of me and another single about 3 holes in back of me.  It never rained one drop and the sun came out about noon and lasted for the rest of the day :)

Too bad my game wasn't any good.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I book singles tee times on GolfNow all the time...mostly during the week, but I do occasionally on weekends as well.  Most of the time I do not get paired up when I get to the course.  When I do get paired up, I have been pretty lucky in that those I have played with have been generally nice people.  The few times it has been awkward has been when I am paired up with a group of 3 that play together regularly.  I just try to be pleasant, play my game, and do my thing.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

I feel like I am going to run into this problem for the first time here in just a couple weeks. Somehow I talked my wife into the JW Marriott family fling and swing package for our anniversary which includes unlimited golf. She doesn't golf at all, but the package comes with a $50 credit per day to the spa so that is where we will be spending our anniversary. I haven't ever had a problem going off as a single at the many public courses around, but it seems like this course is more of the resort type. The free golf doesn't start until after 11 so I am hoping that the heat will scare most other people away. Usually when I golf as a single I will just show up at off peak hours and I haven't ever had any problems as a walk up, but I am wondering if I should call and schedule a tee time where I most likely will be paired with someone else, or just risk it and try to get on as a single and make it around by myself. Any advice?

Because of my buddies either don't play golf or can't play early on the weekends, I usually end up going out as a single on the weekend mornings.

I have no problem getting on as there is always a few that don't show up early Saturday morning.  I get paired up with many interesting people and have enjoyed many rounds with strangers.  Most people are good about having a single join their group.

I can see being a problem in a large city where the course is always crowded.  But here in Denver area, that is not a problem.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I almost always play as a single, don't have to wait AND don't usually get paired up.  I suppose that's in part because most of my golf is played on summer weekdays in ridiculously hot Miami.  None of my buddies are big into golf and those that I meet on the course just aren't guys I'd want to play many rounds with.

Other than Bethpage on a weekend (weekdays aren't bad if you don't have a particular course in mind)- walking up single is usually not a problem. Trick is knowing when the lull will be and a possible opening. Many public or muni courses now have "Memberships" or whatever that have tee-times locked up on Sat. & Sun til around 10:30 or 11am. I would show up near the end of that time and invariably there would be an odd number of 'members' showing up and I would get paired up with the last group. At least one course I play fairly regularly does not allow ONLINE single reservations, but you can call the pro-shop a few days ahead and they'll find a spot. There's also that between time after the morning prime times are finishing and before the afternoon or twilight rates kick in. I've walked out alone a few times while 5 or 6 groups are waiting to save $10 for a 'twilight' rate.

Originally Posted by shank-a-roo

I feel like I am going to run into this problem for the first time here in just a couple weeks. Somehow I talked my wife into the JW Marriott family fling and swing package for our anniversary which includes unlimited golf. She doesn't golf at all, but the package comes with a $50 credit per day to the spa so that is where we will be spending our anniversary. I haven't ever had a problem going off as a single at the many public courses around, but it seems like this course is more of the resort type. The free golf doesn't start until after 11 so I am hoping that the heat will scare most other people away. Usually when I golf as a single I will just show up at off peak hours and I haven't ever had any problems as a walk up, but I am wondering if I should call and schedule a tee time where I most likely will be paired with someone else, or just risk it and try to get on as a single and make it around by myself. Any advice?

i play there every summer.  don't worry, you most likely will be playing alone.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Quote:

When there's a will, there's a way.  Not that I would advocate that you do something underhanded, but you could always set a tee time for a two-some.  However, when you get there, just tell them that your bud got hit by a bus, won the lotto and left you high and dry to date a super model, whatever.  Since you'd probably be paired with another two-some on the schedule in advance, they'll just add a single from the waiting list.  Viola, you're playing at a set time...

Be careful with that. Some courses will hit you with a charge for the guest that didn't show up. People try that all the time at the course I work at and on busy weekends, we hit you with a $25 charge per guest who didn't show up on the credit card of the person who made the time.

As for the single reservations, on a busy day if I'm working, I'll make a time for a single only with a two-some or three-some. We won't make a time for a single on an empty tee slot because we gain nothing. Technically, you can make a time as a single online at the course I work at but it is policy for us that we can change your tee time to squeeze you with a twosome or threesome to open up a tee slot for a foursome only if we are busy.

From a company view, totally understandable. From a golfer's view, not the best policies.

I know that a lot of online booking services will charge a non-refundable fee for cancellations.  Read the fine print for booking services.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I was lucky when finding my club.

Being new to the area and not knowing anyone outside work (all non golfers) I thought I would be playing golf alone. I was lucky to find a local club with a very active mens section. Every Sunday through out the year members meet in the clubhouse at 0730. A quick coffee then we all gather at the first tee as 4 ball grouping are announced for a shot gun start. It is generally two flights but last week due to numbers it was three flights. It is a competition every week of various formats. The beauty of it is being a shotgun start we are all completed and back in the clubhouse for about 1300. From there a couple of drinks, Captains round up and competition results and prizes given. No waiting around for end of season presentations and the knowledge that next week could always be better!

So now I have a regular partner, get to play with and meet 2 new people every week, competitive golf every week, guess I landed on my feet-hey ho !

A couple of the courses I play have slots for "one or two" players in their online reservations. Usually, a twosome will book and 24-hours out, they'll tag the remaining slots for singles/twosomes.

Also, if it's 8 a.m. and the course has some online foursome times scattered about that morning, I can call the starter and see if he's willing to put together some singles. Or, I can call the course the previous afternoon and set up something like that. Some courses keep twosome slots in their hip pocket to plug in singles that show up.

Spencer T. Olin GC in Alton, IL, has a nice singles policy for non-tournament days: Call them up, tell them you're coming as a single, and they will get you out within an hour of your arrival.

It's all a matter of what kind of relationship you build with starters at the courses you like. Some courses will let you do A, while others will let you do B. It's up to you to find out what A and B is for each course.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This course must be doing well in this economy.  I would think this could cost the course some customers as usually when someone doesn't show for a scheduled tee time it is with good reason.

Originally Posted by Yanks Fan

Quote:

Be careful with that. Some courses will hit you with a charge for the guest that didn't show up. People try that all the time at the course I work at and on busy weekends, we hit you with a $25 charge per guest who didn't show up on the credit card of the person who made the time.

Butch

Originally Posted by Tomboys

Ok, you caught me, I have done this before, sometimes intention, sometimes not.  One of the guys I used to work with was very unreliable for showing up, so this would happen regularly when setting up tee times with him.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 4440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!