IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Earlier in the year when Tiger was playing well, he was #1 in total driving.  If he can/has regained that form, he should be fine.

Brandon

Agreed.  I think if Tiger has his "A" game no one will be able to beat him.  Even if he has his "B" game he still has a shot at winning.

Also this course will probably set up nicely for Tiger's abilities.  I see him hitting a bunch of 3 and woods off the tee and still being able to fly the ball in high to stop on the green.  Not many guys on tour will be able to do this with Tiger's accuracy.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Earlier in the year when Tiger was playing well, he was #1 in total driving.  If he can/has regained that form, he should be fine.

Brandon

He still is #1 in total driving.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Luke will struggle round here, the reason everyone raves about his short game and putting is because he needs to use them, he misses too many fairways. The idea of him being accurate off the tee is, well, just wrong.

No it's not. He's 8th on tour in Driving Accuracy.

Originally Posted by RollTide

Also, I think the reason people rave about Luke's short game is because he is 1st on tour in scrambling, scrambling from rough, and total putting. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I don't think you are wrong.  Luke Donald has an awesome game.  To me his only weakness is length.

Fair play to him good improvement, he was 57th in accuracy last year when he won the money title and 127th in total driving.

I think if you've had problems getting the ball in the fairway in the past then their likely to come back when hitting fairways is key, i.e. when the fairways get narrow and the rough gets high.

Certainly Donald was really struggling round Wentworth to keep the ball in play, which made the win all the more impressive. Having said that it looked like he had it on a rope on the Sunday pm.

The point about the scrambling stats I was failing to make is that he needs to be that good, he is only 100th in GIR this year and was 41st last year.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Fair play to him good improvement, he was 57th in accuracy last year when he won the money title and 127th in total driving.

I think if you've had problems getting the ball in the fairway in the past then their likely to come back when hitting fairways is key, i.e. when the fairways get narrow and the rough gets high.

Certainly Donald was really struggling round Wentworth to keep the ball in play, which made the win all the more impressive. Having said that it looked like he had it on a rope on the Sunday pm.

The point about the scrambling stats I was failing to make is that he needs to be that good, he is only 100th in GIR this year and was 41st last year.

That 127th in total driving is probably the result of his limited distance.  He's probably hitting more drivers and 3 woods than other players due to his lack of distance, hurting his fairways hit %.  Everything I've seen from Donald makes me think he's a very accurate player.  I don't often see the guy in trouble on the course, which makes me think he's very much in control of his game.

in a nod to players coming across the pond to play, the Nordea Masters this week in Sweden is being played Wed-Saturday - in order to give US Open competitors an extra day to get to San Francisco.

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's something to consider . . . typical weather for Olympic at this time of year . . . next 4 days, high temp 58 degrees, wind in the teens with gusts in the 20's and occasional 30's.

I'd have to think our friends from the United Kingdom will be most comfortable.

Rule, Britannia!

Originally Posted by RollTide

No it's not. He's 8th on tour in Driving Accuracy.

But 108th in Europe - over 2 tournaments - one of which he won - what do they say about stats - the are lies, damn lies and statistics.

I was hoping to avoid the US Open thread but here I am. I'm getting emotional as I type this and I will try to explain why.

I live in the Bay Area about 20 mins outside of SF. So when I heard the open was coming to Olympic, my uncle and I bought passes to Thurdays opening round. This is my first PGA Tour event and my first Major even, as I've only starting golfing 3 years ago. My tickets recently came in the mail along with a list of does and donts (no cell phones allowed). I was so excited I couldn't wait for June 14th. 2 weeks ago running around chasing my nephew I step in a hole in the lawn and I hear a pop on my right side. No biggie just popped Ibuprofen for a few days I'll be fine right? WRONG! I find out yesterday that I need surgery on my L4 and L5 lumbar BS something or another and recovery time is 3 weeks!! Theres an outside chance that I can delay the surgery but it's not looking good. Sorry for the long rant, I just had to share my grief!

photo.JPG

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

OMG! Ron, you have tickets, first event ever! But broke your leg?

Wow that sucks, there must be some way, to get a temp cast or something on, and crutches?

Talk to your doctor, this is a once in a lifetime chance for you. Do whatever you have to do, to get there!!

Don't even have to move around much, just find a nice place and park it all day long, and watch all the players come by.

Beg your doctor!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

OMG! Ron, you have tickets, first event ever! But broke your leg?

Wow that sucks, there must be some way, to get a temp cast or something on, and crutches?

Talk to your doctor, this is a once in a lifetime chance for you. Do whatever you have to do, to get there!!

Don't even have to move around much, just find a nice place and park it all day long, and watch all the players come by.

Beg your doctor!

Oh it gets better! The ER Dr. I saw offered $200 for my ticket LOL. This stuff only happens to me I swear. It's laughable at this point.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Mickelson wins the Open because Johnny Miller gave him a tip on how to play Olympic Club...  I read it in GOLF Magazine.

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Oh it gets better! The ER Dr. I saw offered $200 for my ticket LOL. This stuff only happens to me I swear. It's laughable at this point. :censored:

You should be more careful where you step.

Quote:

in a nod to players coming across the pond to play, the Nordea Masters this week in Sweden is being played Wed-Saturday - in order to give US Open competitors an extra day to get to San Francisco.

Good move.

Originally Posted by walk18

You should be more careful where you step.

Hey, if Tiger can win the Open on a broken leg Ron should be able to watch an Open on a broken leg.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

Hey, if Tiger can win the Open on a broken leg Ron should be able to watch an Open on a broken leg.  LOL

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

... I find out yesterday that I need surgery on my L4 and L5 lumbar BS something or another and recovery time is 3 weeks!!

That language makes it sound like he has a broken back, not a broken leg.

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

Mickelson wins the Open because Johnny Miller gave him a tip on how to play Olympic Club...  I read it in GOLF Magazine.

Plus there will not be any cell phones.  So there's that.

Brandon

• Upvote 1

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

That language makes it sound like he has a broken back, not a broken leg.

Exactly. Why are people saying leg? :P

I'm not sure I'd want to SIT in one place all day with a damaged lumbar spine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!