IGNORED

Mac O'Grady Swings

iacas
Note: This thread is 2302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lot's of good stuff on this vid.  Mac's swings start at about 7:30.

Yeah interesting stuff. Looks like he's experimenting with float loading it on the backswing. Longest I've ever seen his swing. He comments that it's tough to do because of so many moving pieces, or something along those lines.

This video was shot in '94 so it was a year after he started advocating that the right knee lose some flex on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lot's of good stuff on this vid.  Mac's swings start at about 7:30.

Only one swing here that Tiger said the player owned.The only other player in that category according to Tiger is Hogan.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

• 8 months later...

Compilation of swings already on YouTube with some others most of you haven't seen. Best Mac swing ever is at :52 out of the bunker.

Some decent views with him in the pink shirt. In that segment he's experimenting with some stuff but there's a few normal swings in there. Lots of speed with all these swings.

Mike McLoughlin

OK, so does Mac O'Grady = Phil McGleno or not ?!?    Seems like a big secret (or maybe an inside joke that I'm not privy to)  ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

OK, so does Mac O'Grady = Phil McGleno or not ?!?    Seems like a big secret (or maybe an inside joke that I'm not privy to)  ...

Phil McGleno was his given name ... But OUR phil is not Mac. (I know cuz I asked the exact same question last year sometime) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Phil McGleno was his given name ... But OUR phil is not Mac. (I know cuz I asked the exact same question last year sometime) :)

Our Phil is Butch. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If you flip his lefty swing, does it look like his righty swing? Will have to try this out myself.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Right.

If you flip his lefty swing, does it look like his righty swing? Will have to try this out myself.

Lefty swings on the left.

Very similar. Pivot is a little flatter, doesn't "re-center" himself as much with the lefty swing. More bend in the lead arm with the lefty swing.

Camera angles aren't the same, camera is slightly behind Mac on the right and his body was aimed more left at address.

Here's similar angles.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

I worked at the 1986 PGA Championship at Cherry Hills.  In a practice round he was playing with Charles.  We were watching this group all day.  On a hole late in the round Mac hit it to a couple of feet.  Someone in the crowd yelled, "Let's see you do that left handed."  He turns to Charles, borrows a club and proceeds to hit it closer to the pin.  The crowd erupted.  One of the first true memories of me being in awe on the golf course.

I was a standard bearer for all 4 days.  Great experience for my 18 year old self.

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Thx for the reply - now I won't be wondering every time Phil posts ... :beer:

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, a couples of things about Mac's swing on the video: 1. His stands got wider 2. Most of Mac's swings, he doesn't slide hips much but more rotational and his shoulders fully turned as always at the finish.

And looking at P7.5 where arms soft but not fully extended tells me pivot lead the arms not vice versa. What's your thoughts?

Mike, a couples of things about Mac's swing on the video: 1. His stands got wider

Which swings? With Geiberger?

Mac is always making little adjustments with his set-up.

2. Most of Mac's swings, he doesn't slide hips much but more rotational and his shoulders fully turned as always at the finish.

Yes he'll need more rotation to keep the club and hands swinging left. His hips still transfer at least 4 inches but he'll also let his upper center move forward as well. Might make it look like he's "sliding" less.

And looking at P7.5 where arms soft but not fully extended tells me pivot lead the arms not vice versa. What's your thoughts?

Arms look pretty extended to me. He can't fully extend his right arm anymore, he broke it about 10 years ago. He's swinging his arms pretty fast, only way you can get your arms "past" your body like this.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 years later...

His head moves significantly forward on his downswing in these swings. Surprising he can strike the ball so crisply doing this. What are the thoughts on what he's doing here? Several rank amateurs like myself struggle with the head translating forward, and yet Mac does it and still plays the game at such an incredibly high level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oewQPhbJew

(Ol' Ridyard not allowing embedding for some reason now, but @Beachcomber posted it early in the thread)

The head is clearly going forward, and it's not coming back ever like it does below with driver. Obviously his DTL view is darn near perfect, but it's just surprising to me he can move his head forward this much.

Here are some more Mac Swings for the thread though:

He doesn't translate the head forward here with this persimmon driver:

Constantine

• Administrator

Part of the CP pattern, I think, is to allow the head to go forward a little? It doesn't produce the highest shots…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Part of the CP pattern, I think, is to allow the head to go forward a little? It doesn't produce the highest shots…

Ah, okay. Interesting. 

Also I just remembered @mvmac telling me a while ago that he changes his pattern up based on something he may be demonstrating for someone, so maybe that's part of it too. 

Constantine

Ah, Mac O'Grady, one of the unsung, or maybe "slightly sung" geniuses in golf! Somewhat akin to Moe Norman.

He is an eccentric in the truest, and perhaps best, sense of the word. He is totally obsessed with the golf swing!

I read an article many years ago when O'Grady had played himself off the Tour. He was in Florida and opted to take a job at a driving range because one of his perks would be that he could hit all the balls he wanted. At this time he lived in a refrigerator box with a few clothes, a few pairs of shoes, and his golf bag and clubs. He told the interviewer that if he took a "regular" job, that golf would slowly, but surely, disappear from his life and he couldn't have that!

I also remember watching the telecast of a Tour event in which O'Grady was competing, way back in the day. On a par 3 with the pin cut way to the left, he hit to the right. The ball bounced off a mound, skittered across the green, and cozied up next to the hole. A fan yelled out, "Great shot, Mac!". He yelled back, "Great shot, Hell! That was pure luck!".

10 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

His head moves significantly forward on his downswing in these swings. Surprising he can strike the ball so crisply doing this. What are the thoughts on what he's doing here?

@iacas is right, part of the CP pattern. All COG's lower and transfer forward from 4-5. It's a low fade pattern. It's not the pattern he played with.

Just saw Dochety posted this one. 

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 2302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!