IGNORED

Cheating at Outings.....

sigfan2340
Note: This thread is 3927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well i have been on both sides  at outings, player and working for the host. Do people cheat? Absolutely! is there any thing you can do? Not Really! best thing I've found is to go out and have fun, play your best, and do not worry about the details...

Now, I know what is a scamble. :-)).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We do go out with the intentions of just having fun but it bugs me that people have to cheat. I don't play in it for the small amount of prize money, hell the raffle prizes are better, but to people that play honest it sucks. As one poster stated, golf is a gentleman's game or at least it was at one point.

Originally Posted by Gilberg

I hate cheaters.

I played in a golf scramble eons ago and the group who won didn't even set foot on the course.  They litrally set inside and drank Bartles and James all day, and yeah they shot a +3, yeah right.  I told them that if they ever pull a stunt like that again then I would bring in some people to beat them into a living death.  But before I could tell them they walked off with their girlfriends.

I think Bartles & James was punishment enough...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Gilberg

I hate cheaters.  Specially with golf cause it is a gentlemans sport.  I keep telling them "If you are going to cheat then go play an OTHER sport and they tell me "Go back to the Cart!""!

At least if you are going to cheat don't make it so obvios.  Yeah, I will shave a couple strokes off per round if no one is paying attention, but I NEVER do it if they are paying attention.

I played in a golf scramble eons ago and the group who won didn't even set foot on the course.  They litrally set inside and drank Bartles and James all day, and yeah they shot a +3, yeah right.  I told them that if they ever pull a stunt like that again then I would bring in some people to beat them into a living death.  But before I could tell them they walked off with their girlfriends.

That's a nice big bridge this troll is lurking under.

Great take by Gilberg.  But my question is, who actually cares about a golf outing enough to cheat?  I have played in plenty of these and never felt like it was a serious competition of any sort.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

one thing that might need clarifying is mulligans, if you are buying them.

a recent best-ball fundraiser i played in, we were allowed one mulligan per 9, so long as we paid for them (honors system... another likely culprit for cheaters).  now, we paid for the two mulligans, under the assumption it was for the entire foursome, and we applied them accordingly (i.e. twice for the round).  but looking at the scores that won, we wondered if the winning team was using a mulligan per 9 for each player (i.e. up to eight times for the round).

it's certainly usually for a good cause, but it'd be more fun if the scores were more realistic.  you can certainly have good holes, but highly doubt a foursome can birdie/eagle every single one.

who knows, though... best to ask the guy who invited you and let him make the decision on whether or not to say something.

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv

one thing that might need clarifying is mulligans, if you are buying them.

a recent best-ball fundraiser i played in, we were allowed one mulligan per 9, so long as we paid for them (honors system... another likely culprit for cheaters).  now, we paid for the two mulligans, under the assumption it was for the entire foursome, and we applied them accordingly (i.e. twice for the round).  but looking at the scores that won, we wondered if the winning team was using a mulligan per 9 for each player (i.e. up to eight times for the round).

it's certainly usually for a good cause, but it'd be more fun if the scores were more realistic.  you can certainly have good holes, but highly doubt a foursome can birdie/eagle every single one.

who knows, though... best to ask the guy who invited you and let him make the decision on whether or not to say something.

I've never been in a scramble where the mulligans were per team. Around here they are for each player (if they want to buy them). They also usually have two "throws' per player if they want to buy them.

I had an experience that relates to this thread last weekend... My club has a Tournament Club that you pay $100 dollars to join. Prize money is awarded to the winners and 2nd place finishers of each tournament. This past Sunday, the tournament was 2 man alternate shot. You sign up as a single, and the club pairs up teams based on handicap. On our 17th hole, I noticed a guy on an adjacent hole pick up a ball in the rough, hand it to his partner, and place his own ball back down. All the while, my foursome was playing everything down (I.e. we were playing golf by the rules!). A quick poll after the round indicated that maybe half the groups played the ball down and half of them lifted and replaced. It irked the crap out of me...

I had an experience that relates to this thread last weekend... My club has a Tournament Club that you pay $100 dollars to join. Prize money is awarded to the winners and 2nd place finishers of each tournament. This past Sunday, the tournament was 2 man alternate shot. You sign up as a single, and the club pairs up teams based on handicap. On our 17th hole, I noticed a guy on an adjacent hole pick up a ball in the rough, hand it to his partner, and place his own ball back down. All the while, my foursome was playing everything down (I.e. we were playing golf by the rules!). A quick poll after the round indicated that maybe half the groups played the ball down and half of them lifted and replaced. It irked the crap out of me...

Never played alternate shot golf before. I take it that in two man alternate shot, you need to use the same ball?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Never played alternate shot golf before. I take it that in two man alternate shot, you need to use the same ball?

Well, some thought so and some didn't... Technically, you play everything down, so whoever's turn it is to tee of (you have to choose which player will tee off on the odd numbered holes, and which player will tee off on the even numbered holes), you play that ball throughout the hole. So, if I am teeing off on hole #1, my partner plays the 2nd shot, I play the 3rd shot, my partner plays the 4th shot, and so on...

My last outing we definitely had a cheater, on the long drive.  They had a hold where you marked your drive if it was beyond the previous one.  A guy that we golf with is really good, not awesome, but pretty good (by my book anyway, usually shoots in the 80's, often low 80's).  On the long drive hole, he bombed a great drive, it was just a little short of 300 yards.  We were looking for the marker and it was a good 50 yards longer.  So, no big deal... after the round, they were announcing winners and all, winning group shot a -13, we were at a -2, and they call the guy for the longest drive, and he's only about 5'5' and very round. I'm not trying to judge the guy, but he didn't look like he could hit a ball  that far at all.  There was a little chatter in the room when he got up

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Note: This thread is 3927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!