IGNORED

Tiger in 2014, How many Majors will win?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Tiger will win ____ majors in 2014

• Zero
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four

2014 is definitely a big year for Tiger in the majors, I think he'll win the Masters.  I think Tiger has the skill and ability to win majors into his 50's but who knows how long his body will hold up.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually agree with you   .

I think Tiger has struggled mentally to cope with the pressure of winning his first Major since switching swing coaches and his Thanksgiving Day debacle.  IMO, every Major that goes by without him getting a win will make the pressure of the next one even greater.  I think he needs to win one, then getting to 18 will be easier.

19 will be another hurdle, especially since he'll likely be over 40 by that point.

I'm sure you're right. There's hope yet for world peace :-D

My one quibble is with the arithmetic. When I was growing up, everyone knew that Jack had 20 majors. I don't remember any outcry when MacGregor released the Muirfield 20th s after the '86 Masters.

I don't want to say outright that this is the reason - but as a matter of history, I don't recall people really saying that THE NUMBER was 18 until after Tiger was already sitting on 3 US Ams (compared to Jack's 2).

2014 is definitely a big year for Tiger in the majors, I think he'll win the Masters.  I think Tiger has the skill and ability to win majors into his 50's but who knows how long his body will hold up.

Skill and ability - I agree. Physically - maybe. Desire - I think that's the biggest obstacle.

This is absolutely not intended as a slur on Tiger, but I believe that he has largely outworked his rivals. You could argue about whether anyone's ever put more work into their long game (Even accepting that the payoffs were/will be worth it - how many "gap years" does he have on his CV whilst rebuilding his full swing - with Butch, then with Haney, and now with Foley?).

And on top of all that, he put in the work to build one of the best short games ever seen, and (until injuries came into play) one of the most athletic physiques on tour.

I think Haney wrote that he saw Tiger's desire and workrate ease off before they finished working together. I think you could expect as much in the guy's mid-30s - after 20 years playing and working at such a high level. Has the desire ratcheted up again in his time with Foley? I don't know. Can he sustain that through his 40s, nevermind his 50s? I sincerely doubt it. Without that level of work and desire, can he still compete? I think sure - but the edge that he had would be gone.

I'm still waiting to hear @colin007 's prediction.

The over/under is 3.  I'll take the over...... :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm still waiting to hear @colin007's prediction.

The over/under is 3.  I'll take the over......

Not really leaving a lot of options there ;) ... If the O/U was 2.5, I 'd take the over, but at 3 ... I'd probably bet for a push. ;)  (If you can do that??  I don't bet, so I have no idea)

I'm still waiting to hear @colin007's prediction.

The over/under is 3.  I'll take the over......

im actually going with 2.  however, i do think that if he goes 0-fer this coming year, he may never win another again.  i know thats extreme, and tiger haters would probably give him better odds than i would, but at this point it feels so weighty for him.  hes pressing so hard at these things, and the putting is just not there for the most part.  still love him tho.

Colin P.

Just in case anyone is interested, the current odds are:

Tiger wins a major in 2014: 7/4

Tiger doesn't win a major in 2014: 3/5

UK odds on Tiger and the Majors:

Tiger Woods – 2014 major titles
None 8/15
One 6/4
Two 9/1
Three 33/1
Four 66/1

Bill M

im actually going with 2.  however, i do think that if he goes 0-fer this coming year, he may never win another again.  i know thats extreme, and tiger haters would probably give him better odds than i would, but at this point it feels so weighty for him.  hes pressing so hard at these things, and the putting is just not there for the most part.  still love him tho.

I LOVE YOU MAN!

:-D

Don't believe it though......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I LOVE YOU MAN! Don't believe it though......

I vacillate between giddy, epinephrine induced highs to complete, abject despondency watching Tiger. I internalize the frustration that he feels. I scream at the TV, get nauseous, hit things... I don't know what I'll do when he stops playing...

Colin P.

I'm sure you're right. There's hope yet for world peace

My one quibble is with the arithmetic. When I was growing up, everyone knew that Jack had 20 majors. I don't remember any outcry when MacGregor released the Muirfield 20ths after the '86 Masters.

I don't want to say outright that this is the reason - but as a matter of history, I don't recall people really saying that THE NUMBER was 18 until after Tiger was already sitting on 3 US Ams (compared to Jack's 2).

Skill and ability - I agree. Physically - maybe. Desire - I think that's the biggest obstacle.

This is absolutely not intended as a slur on Tiger, but I believe that he has largely outworked his rivals. You could argue about whether anyone's ever put more work into their long game (Even accepting that the payoffs were/will be worth it - how many "gap years" does he have on his CV whilst rebuilding his full swing - with Butch, then with Haney, and now with Foley?).

And on top of all that, he put in the work to build one of the best short games ever seen, and (until injuries came into play) one of the most athletic physiques on tour.

I think Haney wrote that he saw Tiger's desire and workrate ease off before they finished working together. I think you could expect as much in the guy's mid-30s - after 20 years playing and working at such a high level. Has the desire ratcheted up again in his time with Foley? I don't know. Can he sustain that through his 40s, nevermind his 50s? I sincerely doubt it. Without that level of work and desire, can he still compete? I think sure - but the edge that he had would be gone.

Angel Cabrera and some others, including Rory has demonstrated that working out, weights, running etc does not guarantee success, nor necessarily get you a W, maybe all that training and the stupid navy seals training he supposedly did is now taking its toll

Angel Cabrera and some others, including Rory has demonstrated that working out, weights, running etc does not guarantee success, nor necessarily get you a W,

"guarantee".........I'm flustered where to even begin.  "Success" (Rory and Angel have that) and "W" (Also both have) begin with natural talent - the trick is to maximize that.  There no way that fitness is not a big part of maximizing potential.  as is training, technique, desire, luck, equipment, etc etc etc.......

General trends?  players are getting fitter, the field is more competitive, and the big fat slobs playing at the top level are becoming more of an exception to the rule every decade.

Golf is a very sedate activity, it won't make a person an athlete.  But, being athletic will improve most, if not all, players' performances.

Better golf is a silly reason to be healthy, though.  It's worthy, in an of itself.

(Please someone post the "I know one guy that sits on the couch and he's a great player" single example anecdote.)

Bill - 

"guarantee".........I'm flustered where to even begin.  "Success" (Rory and Angel have that) and "W" (Also both have) begin with natural talent - the trick is to maximize that.  There no way that fitness is not a big part of maximizing potential.  as is training, technique, desire, luck, equipment, etc etc etc.......

General trends?  players are getting fitter, the field is more competitive, and the big fat slobs playing at the top level are becoming more of an exception to the rule every decade.

Golf is a very sedate activity, it won't make a person an athlete.  But, being athletic will improve most, if not all, players' performances.

Better golf is a silly reason to be healthy, though.  It's worthy, in an of itself.

(Please someone post the "I know one guy that sits on the couch and he's a great player" single example anecdote.)

There's 2 ends to the fitness spectrum though. At the high end, you've got guys for whom their athleticism, strength, stamina, mobility give them an edge relative to the field. At the low end, you've got guys whose lack of fitness puts them at a disadvantage, and also guys who's bodies are effectively breaking down under the strain of playing and, probably moreso, practicing enough to be competitive.

Somehow Tiger has gone from one end to the other and forgotten to linger in the middle.

Haney wrote that he thought the knee injury came from SEALS training, didn't he?

Who knows if he'll win another major or how many or when. I'm just thankful for being around to watch him win that first Masters all the way till now. It's been a hack of a ride. Thanks Tiger, it's been a blast . Wish you all the best and hope you get to at least 18.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Tiger had 5 wins last season, finished T4 at the Masters and Open Championship.  Does he get to 15 in '14 or will it be another goose egg year in the majors?  Post your prediction and why.

Let's face it, Tiger will be competitive in all four majors in 2014. Can he win? Sure. Will he win? Maybe. The key to his winning will be his putter.  As for the 2014 venues: August is always nasty. Pinehurst Number 2 has rebuilt greens. Royal Liverpool is a traditional links course. And, Vallhalla has new greens for all 18 holes.  Based on past performances, maybe he should schedule a putting lesson with Steve Stricker before each tournament. My prediction: Tiger's putter is rejuvenated - he wins the Masters and is second at Pinehurst and Vallhalla.

As for his longevity, if Vijay Singh won 22 of his 34 PGA tour victories (including the 2004 PGA) after turning 40, and Phil won the US Open in 2013 at age 43, then there is a lot of time for Tiger to get 19 majors and 100 PGA victories.  Considering that he turns 39 in December, if he doesn't get a major this year, he will continue to be a force on the tour for years to come. Remember, Jack won his first major in 1962 and his last in 1986, a span of 24 years. Tiger won his first major in 1997, and if he has the longevity of a Nicklaus, he could still be competitive in 2021.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Tiger's best chances for a major are at the Masters and British Open. Why? His driver and his short game. Tiger's driving has been horrible in major events for some reason in the last couple of years. At Augusta, you can afford to have horrible driving accuracy, but you must have good short game and putting. At the British Open, he doesn't even have to hit driver off the tee; a low 4-iron will go 300 yards. :-P And again, short game is key at the Open. I'd take Adam Scott over Woods at the US Open and PGA. Don't count McIlroy out either.

Tiger's best chances for a major are at the Masters and British Open. Why? His driver and his short game. Tiger's driving has been horrible in major events for some reason in the last couple of years. At Augusta, you can afford to have horrible driving accuracy, but you must have good short game and putting. At the British Open, he doesn't even have to hit driver off the tee; a low 4-iron will go 300 yards. And again, short game is key at the Open.

I agree!!!

Augusta and the British Open. In. The. Bag.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!