dchoye

Ball position for putting

14 posts in this topic

I been trying to find an optimal ball position for putting. Use to putt with an bullseye and like to have ball position right in the middle of stance and hit slightly down on the ball. Now a days I gone to a Scotty Newport( plumbler`s neck design) and find I like to have ball position forward of center and hit ball on the ascending arc.  Question- But wondering where specifically forward of center is best....off left heel, left armpit, left hip left toe, or something else

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

All the pros seem to have the ball forward in their stance.  They appear to line it up with their left ear or left instep.  I go between left ear and left eye.  I seem to putt better when I line it up with my left ear.

Everyone is different, but you definitely don't want to hit down on the ball with a putter (unless it's against the collar of the rough or something).  You want forward spin as soon as possible.

Found this video from Dave Stockton:

He likes ball position  behind the lead foot and off the dominant eye.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x834eg_putting-ball-position-golf-lesson-w_sport

Stockton is really big on keeping your left wrist from breaking through the putt.  I think Mickelson actually uses too much forward press, but what do I know?  ;)

Question; did you have your putter fitted to your putting/grip stroke? Just curious. My ball position is one ball width left of the center of my narrow, putting stance. Of course after getting set up for the putt, I don't watch the putter face hit the ball. I am one of those who look at my aim point while putting.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I been trying to find an optimal ball position for putting. Use to putt with an bullseye and like to have ball position right in the middle of stance and hit slightly down on the ball. Now a days I gone to a Scotty Newport( plumbler`s neck design) and find I like to have ball position forward of center and hit ball on the ascending arc.  Question- But wondering where specifically forward of center is best....off left heel, left armpit, left hip left toe, or something else

I have a narrow stance and play the ball off the left heel. My feet are the same width apart as they would be when I stand naturally.

Been finding that I like to hit slightly down on the descending arc on my putts with ball closer to my back foot producing more of a " rap "stroke . On fast greens if the break is more than a ball 's width I will play more toward the middle of stance and hit off the toe

Been finding that I like to hit slightly down on the descending arc on my putts with ball closer to my back foot producing more of a " rap "stroke . On fast greens if the break is more than a ball 's width I will play more toward the middle of stance and hit off the toe

I would avoid that, might be a band aid for something else. Good putters don't hit down on their putts.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64398/when-putting-we-shouldnt-hit-down-nor-hit-up-no#post_804669

I prefer (though if someone's taking a putting lesson I don't always worry about this so much as some other things that might matter more): +2-3° AoA, 1° delivered loft.

That creates a putt with a little bit of topspin. Not nearly enough to ROLL but a little head start in that direction. It doesn't launch the ball particularly high either, and the best point to create these conditions is just after low point, or slightly forward of center in your stance, which also helps create a putter head that's already reached its peak velocity prior to impact.

Boy that's a whole mess of compensations. Are you just talking about very short putts?

I been finding that if I play ball position off the eye or head I can make more putts than ball position off my stance or feet.

I dont really think about ball position.for short putts now. but for longer putts and ones that I have use a firmer stroke I tend to get my eyes behind the ball and  ball closer to my front ear so i just kinda swivel my head and not move my trunk or hips, just my arm and hand.

My method is I walk into the putt at a 90* angle. I set up with my left foot at a 90* angle to my target line, ball is directly in front about 3" of left toe ] my weight favors my left foot. my left eye is directly over the rear edge of the ball. I putt left hand low.

been having success with playing ball position as  the ball relates to the head. eye/ear/chin but I find its difficult to be consistent. While its better for me than playing ball in relation to the upper body than feet/stance.

My happy medium is playing the ball off the shoulders /anterior armpit /belly button and the eyeballs fall naturally to either inside the target line or on the target line and I don't have to worry about it. I find it especially difficult to position my eye to the exact position above the ball

Edited by dchoye

I have been going through quite a few changes with my putting stroke and now have moved the ball slightly forward while using a smooth pendulum stroke from the shoulders (with Key#1 in place). This seems to work the best for me with accuracy and distance control.

I heard this somewhere.... but a good test of your stroke is to go out on the greens in the early morning when the dew is present. But practicing at this time, you can get a good idea of the optimal position of the ball to mimimize the bounce (you see a continuous line leaving your starting point). I did this for myself and it works great. Also, something to remember is the point of impact on the putter (sweetspot?) and making sure never to accelerate through the putt. Just some thoughts for discussion. I'm trying to improve on my putting too.

When it comes to putting, I don't give anybody advice.