IGNORED

140mph + head speed, but driver is still bad.

Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

Lol. They use the metric system in Japan; that's kph which converts to about 100-106 mph.

Sorry to burst your bubble, they use meters per second  not kph( I am swinging up to 67mps with the driver) I know my head speed is what it is, I drive a 2 iron regularly 270-290 yards. I suppose I am going to get the ,"your full of bullshit" from people like you. Should I post a YouTube vid of my swing just so you internet warriors can get your satisfaction.

In the meantime, if anyone else who is serious about helping, some would be appreciated.

EDIT: @boogielicious, I just saw you post, I will check it out.

Those same "internet warriors" that you are asking for help because you can't figure it out yourself? You need to look at it from our position.

1. We don't know you.

2. Most golfers overestimate their swing speed.

3. Those that have had their swing speed measured had it done at a retail facility where stats are given a healthy boost to encourage buying.

4. Swing Speed has a lot more to do with technique than strength, so unless they're a complete gorilla nobody is really swinging 140-150 without great technique already.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can't believe this troll is gettin so much play. Leave it, he's jackin around.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Those same "internet warriors" that you are asking for help because you can't figure it out yourself? You need to look at it from our position.

1. We don't know you.

2. Most golfers overestimate their swing speed.

3. Those that have had their swing speed measured had it done at a retail facility where stats are given a healthy boost to encourage buying.

4. Swing Speed has a lot more to do with technique than strength, so unless they're a complete gorilla nobody is really swinging 140-150 without great technique already.

I can understand that and I can also understand that the retail shop may be fudging their figures. BUT, I do want to point out a few things, what possible gain do I have coming onto a forum where nobody knows me and probably never will (Living in Japan plays a bit part in that), is it so I can boost my internet ego? Second, it does not matter if anyone believes me or not I regularly hit 330 +/- with my 3 wood when I strike it correctly (not saying it goes straight every time though). There have been times when I have hit (carried) 360-70 yard drives but they would be 1 in 20 shots or even more.

Which brings me to another point, my driver never runs very far at all, most times the ball pretty much stops where it lands. So my coming onto this forum after being told that I hit down on the ball with a driver and create too much spin is purely for me to try and get more enjoyment out of a round of golf. Maybe I am expecting too much to get free advice from people on a forum (That is what I thought they were for???), but I am not really that concerned that I need to get a professional to look at my swing make the necessary changes.(My business and family prevents me from spending time on golf, lately my better scores have been around 85 due to the fact I can't get out there as much as I would like)  I was hoping that I could hear of what someone did when they hit down on their driver. I am only playing golf for fun and have always been able to hit the ball hard from the first day I started and some you seem think you have to be a god to swing in the 140 range. Quite a few people are swinging in the 140's, so it is nothing really special. The problem is those people who can swing that fast and strike the ball well is a complete different story.

Which brings me back to my original dilemma, I can't strike the ball well I want too. But , don't worry, I will buy a head speed sensor and take a vid of me swinging a club and post it just so I can say I did not lie to all those concerned.

Got a recommendation for the most accurate swing speed sensor?

I can understand that and I can also understand that the retail shop may be fudging their figures. BUT, I do want to point out a few things, what possible gain do I have coming onto a forum where nobody knows me and probably never will (Living in Japan plays a bit part in that), is it so I can boost my internet ego? Second, it does not matter if anyone believes me or not I regularly hit 330 +/- with my 3 wood when I strike it correctly (not saying it goes straight every time though). There have been times when I have hit (carried) 360-70 yard drives but they would be 1 in 20 shots or even more. Which brings me to another point, my driver never runs very far at all, most times the ball pretty much stops where it lands. So my coming onto this forum after being told that I hit down on the ball with a driver and create too much spin is purely for me to try and get more enjoyment out of a round of golf. Maybe I am expecting too much to get free advice from people on a forum (That is what I thought they were for???), but I am not really that concerned that I need to get a professional to look at my swing make the necessary changes.(My business and family prevents me from spending time on golf, lately my better scores have been around 85 due to the fact I can't get out there as much as I would like)  I was hoping that I could hear of what someone did when they hit down on their driver. I am only playing golf for fun and have always been able to hit the ball hard from the first day I started and some you seem think you have to be a god to swing in the 140 range. Quite a few people are swinging in the 140's, so it is nothing really special. The problem is those people who can swing that fast and strike the ball well is a complete different story.  Which brings me back to my original dilemma, I can't strike the ball well I want too. But , don't worry, I will buy a head speed sensor and take a vid of me swinging a club and post it just so I can say I did not lie to all those concerned. Got a recommendation for the most accurate swing speed sensor?

Good to know you're not a troll. ;-) Yes, I do know golfers who actually swing fast enough to carry 300 yards, but they usually score better than 85. Speed doesn't matter except for ego so that's why you're getting so many negative comments. For whatever reason golfers will respond negatively. Your issue is with hitting down on the driver. So, the obvious solution is to hit up by teeing higher and moving the ball towards the target line so your swing arc is on the up swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Slow the swing down to 127, set the ball forward in your stance so you are hitting the ball slightly up, widen your arc on the downswing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Slow the swing down to 127. . .

This is pretty hard to do. I'm not sure why everyone gives advice to "slow your swing down" when they really have no idea how fast the target of the advice can really swing? On top of that, it seems like what they should actually mean is to slow down the back swing and transition not club head speed at impact? If he really swings 140, that's how fast his actual swing should be outside of the slow steady practice swings. It's extremely hard to try to control your club head speed to something slower than your natural cadence.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is pretty hard to do. I'm not sure why everyone gives advice to "slow your swing down" when they really have no idea how fast the target of the advice can really swing? On top of that, it seems like what they should actually mean is to slow down the back swing and transition not club head speed at impact?

If he really swings 140, that's how fast his actual swing should be outside of the slow steady practice swings.

It's extremely hard to try to control your club head speed to something slower than your natural cadence.

Why?

It's general advice any golf doofus like me can offer. The reasoning is I make better center contact at 90%, because at my age, 80% is too darn slow.

He can punch some drivers to get a feel for what is happening - that's about 50%.

If Fred Couples can do it as a warmup, I'm sure the OP can do it. What'cha think?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Thanks Gunther, you are the first who I will have eat crow when I post a vid. Even if I am being fudged by the pro shop, I know my distances are suggesting at least 140 +/ - head speed. Something I am very eager to show to you.

Good to know you're not a troll.

Yes, I do know golfers who actually swing fast enough to carry 300 yards, but they usually score better than 85.

Speed doesn't matter except for ego so that's why you're getting so many negative comments. For whatever reason golfers will respond negatively. Your issue is with hitting down on the driver. So, the obvious solution is to hit up by teeing higher and moving the ball towards the target line so your swing arc is on the up swing.

I have to set my tee really low other wise I hit it way into the air and can barely hit over 250 yards. I understand that I need to be hitting the ball from and up attack, but without literally putting the ball position in my stance almost outside my front foot I can not do this.

Good to know you're not a troll.

Yes, I do know golfers who actually swing fast enough to carry 300 yards, but they usually score better than 85.

Speed doesn't matter except for ego so that's why you're getting so many negative comments. For whatever reason golfers will respond negatively. Your issue is with hitting down on the driver. So, the obvious solution is to hit up by teeing higher and moving the ball towards the target line so your swing arc is on the up swing.

I am all over the place, which is why I usually resort to my 2 iron, that club just is so consistant with me. My 3 wood is also a wild card, if I connect I am in for a great shot, if not OB's are usually on the cards.

Slow the swing down to 127, set the ball forward in your stance so you are hitting the ball slightly up, widen your arc on the downswing.

I can't slow my swing down, everything goes to shit. The ball goes every which way. Maybe I should pratice more by doing this. But pride has a way of getting in the way of things.

Why?

It's general advice any golf doofus like me can offer. The reasoning is I make better center contact at 90%, because at my age, 80% is too darn slow.

He can punch some drivers to get a feel for what is happening - that's about 50%.

If Fred Couples can do it as a warmup, I'm sure the OP can do it. What'cha think?

I hear what you are saying, but being in control of your swing is a whole different kettle of fish. I am at full throttle all the time. But I see where a lot of you are coming from and it is the advise I came here looking for. Thanks

• Administrator

@JapanDave , I took a minute or two to fix your malformed post. Try to be careful of that type of formatting in the future.

Read this: . Thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks Gunther, you are the first who I will have eat crow when I post a vid. Even if I am being fudged by the pro shop, I know my distances are suggesting at least 140 +/ - head speed. Something I am very eager to show to you. I have to set my tee really low other wise I hit it way into the air and can barely hit over 250 yards. I understand that I need to be hitting the ball from and up attack, but without literally putting the ball position in my stance almost outside my front foot I can not do this. I am all over the place, which is why I usually resort to my 2 iron, that club just is so consistant with me. My 3 wood is also a wild card, if I connect I am in for a great shot, if not OB's are usually on the cards. I can't slow my swing down, everything goes to shit. The ball goes every which way. Maybe I should pratice more by doing this. But pride has a way of getting in the way of things. I hear what you are saying, but being in control of your swing is a whole different kettle of fish. I am at full throttle all the time. But I see where a lot of you are coming from and it is the advise I came here looking for. Thanks

I look forward to it myself.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

From my understanding of what I've read, golf courses are usually fairly short in Japan due to space issues. Taking that into account and your 300+ yard drives with a 3-wood, why would you need to even carry a driver? Hitting it 300+ "regularly" is pretty darn good, and the number on the club doesn't matter when compared to the number on the scorecard. Might I suggest that a temporary solution would be to just ditch the driver and play without it until you have your issue figured out? The problem could be too much spin, but it's hard to tell from just a description. A swing video (with slow motion) would be the easiest way for anyone here to see what you might be doing wrong and give you a tip to fix it. Don't worry about a swing speed radar, just post a swing so we can help you with your potential technique problem.

Dave,

I haven't seen  you hit, nor do I know  any details about your set-up.

One of my problems is hitting down on the ball. I get really good distance for a lousy golfer.

A big benefit to my driver was:

(1) Tee the ball up high, 2 /3rd of the ball above the club head at address. ( With club resting on the ground)

(2) Locate the ball about 2" back from your left toe. Get a bright colored tee (  I use white). Place it about 3 ball widths back from the tee'd ball.

Push the tee in the back position, down in the ground. leave just enough sticking up to see it.

(3) Now line up on the back tee,  imagine there is a ball on it.  Swing your normal swing and it should help you to get an up-sweep with your driver.

It feels weird at first. It may not help you at all, but it did wonders for me.

You might have to mess with location of  ball & tee, or short back tee.

Try it and see.

Jack

If it sounds confusing, let me know. I'll get some pics.

Jack

Why?

Slowing down someone's swing is really hard to do. Can you make 10 swings in a row exactly 20% slower than your normal swing?

Fred Couples is one of the best professional golfer's around, he can pretty much do anything with a golf club. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Slowing down someone's swing is really hard to do. Can you make 10 swings in a row exactly 20% slower than your normal swing?

Fred Couples is one of the best professional golfer's around, he can pretty much do anything with a golf club. . .

Just takes a bit of practice. I will say having a more technically sound swing helps out. I find it easier to slow down a turn of the body than it is easier to try to slow down the arms once the downswing starts.

For the OP, I would check to make sure there isn't a swing fault. If there is a fault, like a non-steady head, then it makes it very hard to slow swing down because a person then usually needs to use their hands and wrists to time up the shot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just takes a bit of practice. I will say having a more technically sound swing helps out. I find it easier to slow down a turn of the body than it is easier to try to slow down the arms once the downswing starts.

For the OP, I would check to make sure there isn't a swing fault. If there is a fault, like a non-steady head, then it makes it very hard to slow swing down because a person then usually needs to use their hands and wrists to time up the shot.

Perhaps developing the ability to slow down your swing makes your mechanics better too?

Agreed, to the OP look up the 5SK thread here .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Perhaps developing the ability to slow down your swing makes your mechanics better too?

I'd say that is backwards. The better your swing mechanics, the easier it is to hit the ball solidly with varying swing speeds.

Steve

Heck, I can warm up at 60 mph, and some might say that's my full speed -- but don't say it to my face ... lol.

If you can't swing slower than 100% on a range, you have a head issue. And as the OP says, he is full throttle all the time. That's a head issue if you are not able to throttle down. On the range next time, FEEL as if you swinging at  50%, then FEEL 70%, then FEEL 85%, then go full throttle. See what works best. It's a feel. Then find out at what speed do you start feeling issues that you can correct. Maybe none -- so you need a pro.

Punch some drivers -- that reveals a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

Thanks Gunther, you are the first who I will have eat crow when I post a vid. Even if I am being fudged by the pro shop, I know my distances are suggesting at least 140 +/ - head speed. Something I am very eager to show to you.

Welcome to the forum.  This forum had its share of 1st time posters with outrageous claim, hope, or goal.   Many here will be skeptical unless a post is backed by supporting proofs.

I'd love to see you post golf stories from Japan: what are the course like, ranges, how much a round costs, etc..    That'd add to the forum contribution in unique way.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!