IGNORED

What's going on with Nike golf?

Spitfisher
Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As I said previously, I was impressed with their new 3 wood, but before that none of their clubs impressed me. Of all the golfers I know (60 in my league and another 30 in the other league) 1 has a nike 3 wood. a couple have a driver or a wedge. some will play a nike ball is found. Some have Nike shoes! not 1 person I know has a nike putter. I would think Nike has a tough time putting out better equipment than Titlest Taylormade Callaway Cleveland They should stick to shoes and belts!

Don't forget mizuno

• Upvote 1

Wonder if they're moving people around because of the big Nike/NBA deal coming up?

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Love my Covert Driver!

I think this is more indicative of the golf industry than Nike as a whole. Too bad.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Wonder if they're moving people around because of the big Nike/NBA deal coming up?

Nope, more like see ya later, thanks for your help....blah blah blah  Typical lay off like other industries.  An exemplified  hero 2 years ago, this year don't let the door hit you in........

the NBA deal is more of a licensee contract with the NBA, uniforms, warm ups etc. they'll be some PLMs, GTMMs and marketing teams- small ones added.

Nope, more like see ya later, thanks for your help....blah blah blah  Typical lay off like other industries.  An exemplified  hero 2 years ago, this year don't let the door hit you in........

the NBA deal is more of a licensee contract with the NBA, uniforms, warm ups etc. they'll be some PLMs, GTMMs and marketing teams- small ones added.

Ah... it is interesting though. I know Adidas did the same a few years ago and then they revamped their entire golf marketing team. Not sure how much it did for them since Under Armour just overtook them as #2 in North America.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Ah... it is interesting though. I know Adidas did the same a few years ago and then they revamped their entire golf marketing team. Not sure how much it did for them since Under Armour just overtook them as #2 in North America.

under armour took over golf market share from adidas ashworth in golf apparel???? That would be news to me, Ifind that incredible hard to believe, but I need to understand the criteria of that statement.

is that sales? marketshare? penetration? sell thru %, Green-grass accounts or just simple growth %?  the latter of which I could agree with, taking marketshare from Nike, adidas, FJ and Puma can add up.

[raises hand slowly]

Someone needs to be a trend setter!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the woods and hybrids from a couple past generations.  Love 'em.

I've demo'd later gens (Coverts) also VERY nice.

used irons as rentals and had no issues with performance and feel and results

Nike Shoes are the only brand of golf shoes that I find comfy (not the case with tennis shoes, I fit a couple other brands for my foot shape)

After demo'ing a lot of gear, I don't think there is much difference in brands out there for golf equipment.  We all gravitate to what feels best.

This might be a more overall golf industry trend than just Nike.

Bill - 

Nike golf equipment didn't exist before Tiger, wouldn't have existed but for Tiger, and apparently can't exist without Tiger.

This...

Never played their clubs, won't comment on their performance.  I do find the color scheme of the Vapor line to be off-putting.  That green color was designed to attract someone on Ecstasy.

As for their balls, I don't play "water balls", but when I find a Nike, it becomes a "let me see if I can hit a big draw over that lake with a PW" ball.

I find their clothing (like all "golf" clothing") to be over priced.

I was really put off by the Nike commercial after the Tiger Woods fire hydrant episode with Earl Woods voice in the background, "Did you learn anything?". My thought was "how low can a company go to salvage their spokesperson as a brand?". Let's bring the voice of his dead father out of the grave to sell some more stuff. Since then I've tried to avoid buying anything with the Nike Swoosh... although recently I've broken down. My company has Nike Golf shirts with our logo for sale and my daughters soccer club has some deal with Nike so all of their kit has the swoosh. I also bought a pair of Nike golf shoes on sale for 50% off and they're pretty comfortable. I always found it odd the worlds best golfer played Nike clubs but no one else I knew did... There must be a lot of Nike clubs in garages with a thick layer of dust on them.

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

under armour took over golf market share from adidas ashworth in golf apparel???? That would be news to me, Ifind that incredible hard to believe, but I need to understand the criteria of that statement.

is that sales? marketshare? penetration? sell thru %, Green-grass accounts or just simple growth %?  the latter of which I could agree with, taking marketshare from Nike, adidas, FJ and Puma can add up.

No, not golf market, it was either the overall sports apparel market or basketbal.. they were talking about it on Espn on sirius shortly after the NBA announced they're signing with Nike starting 2017.

The Nike Sales rep in our area has changed more than a few times in the last couple weeks.  All I can really say is that there is definitely a big shift in employment.  We have orders to them but they are almost on hold 'til the rep is definitely established.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

It would appear to me that Nike, a leading manufacturer of sport clothes, (more than equipment) saw the golf boom happening during the tiger era.. Decided to exploit it and take a big share of the market, invested heavily in sponsorship and R&D;, but with the tiger era all but over, and golf allegedly on the decline, they are probably, and have for some time, looking for different markets to exploit, and have probably realised that calloway and taylormade do a fantastic job of churning out good equipment on a very regular basis and have struggled to compete, and so now streamlining finances for other markets.

Gaz Lee

I've never gamed a Nike club and I see very few out there so it isn't a huge surprise. Wouldn't be much of a loss for Nike considering the scope of their business. Hard to justify all the R&D; spending, and manufacturing issues for clubs that are hard to move when you can focus on selling T-shirts for 60 bucks,

I assume in this context "gamed" = played?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvySwede

I've never gamed a Nike club and I see very few out there so it isn't a huge surprise. Wouldn't be much of a loss for Nike considering the scope of their business. Hard to justify all the R&D; spending, and manufacturing issues for clubs that are hard to move when you can focus on selling T-shirts for 60 bucks,

I assume in this context "gamed" = played?

You would be correct. "Gamed" also implies that it found a permanent spot in your bag, not just demoed.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Today one of the guys I was paired with happened to have all Nike equipment, shoes, bag, and balls included. Only thing that wasn't Nike was the 3 wood and putter. They also happened to all be 8-10 year old models so we're talking prime Tiger years. Coincidence I think not.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Note: This thread is 3238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!