IGNORED

Do you enter a score every single time you play?

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you enter your score for handicap every time you play?

• Yes
    • No

Specifically those who keep an official handicap, do you enter a score every time you play, regardless of circumstances?  For example, this morning my buddy over slept so I ended up playing with a couple other dudes from my club who were going out.  They're older guys so they were playing forward tees whereas I usually play blue or the tips.  I'm played from their tee box just for the sake of being social.  Didn't take the round seriously and pretty much tried a bunch of shots I never usually would (hit driver on super narrow holes, really aggressive flops, etc.).  Didn't really keep score and didn't enter anything.

If your a golfer who considers himself a real golfer then you should post every round played. Doesn't matter that you played from another set of tees. You still have to swing the club

Specifically those who keep an official handicap, do you enter a score every time you play, regardless of circumstances?  For example, this morning my buddy over slept so I ended up playing with a couple other dudes from my club who were going out.  They're older guys so they were playing forward tees whereas I usually play blue or the tips.  I'm played from their tee box just for the sake of being social.  Didn't take the round seriously and pretty much tried a bunch of shots I never usually would (hit driver on super narrow holes, really aggressive flops, etc.).  Didn't really keep score and didn't enter anything.

The circumstances do not change if you are playing a practice round or not. You need to declare it before the round starts.

To enter the round you just need to enter the score at the appropriate tees.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMO, unless one enters every score, it's too tempting to enter "select" scores only, whether it is for vanity handicap or sandbagging purpose.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I always KEEP score, but not always ENTER score Here in Netherlands you declare before you start your round if this round will be a qualifying round. I usually play a qualifying round except when I mix things up like playing from front tees or other formats or whatever

I enter my score every time I play a round of golf. That is how the rules are stated. A basic premise of the USGA Handicap System is that a player will post every acceptable round.... 5-1c/1.

I enter my score every time I play a round of golf. That is how the rules are stated. A basic premise of the USGA Handicap System is that a player will post every acceptable round.... 5-1c/1.

Except practice rounds as declared by the rules.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yes

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The circumstances do not change if you are playing a practice round or not. You need to declare it before the round starts.

+1. I decide pre-round if I am going to post or not.

I do not post rounds for which I am specifically practicing a piece and know will skew my HCP. Also, I make sure I post the ESC number.

Vishal S.

So the general consensus is yes.  I get the idea, but to me that means you take every single round super serious.  I consider myself a serious golfer: I play a lot, I actively work at improving, and I play competitively a handful of times per year . . . but there is no way I take every single time I tee up a ball that seriously.  Sometimes I play with my wife (she would certainly not have as much fun if I treated it as a serious round), at least once a month I play a round with three clubs (even if I'm trying to score, how could that be reflective of the state of my game?); sometimes I play with dudes who play maybe 2x a year and those rounds involve a cooler of beer, music, and general shenanigans, etc.

In my opinion your handicap is meant to reflect your ability as a golfer, and in any of those situations above, I don't see how that would serve any purpose.

• Upvote 1

I enter my score every time I play a round of golf. That is how the rules are stated.

A basic premise of the USGA Handicap System is that a player will post every acceptable round.... 5-1c/1.

Thanks for posting...  I couldn't remember if you entered practice rounds our not.  Last week I played 9 for the express purpose of practicing my driver after a lesson. It went poorly and I was not going to enter my round.  But then I thought to myself if it had went well I would have wanted to enter it... so I entered the crappy round.  And will enter every round going forward.

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

So the general consensus is yes.  I get the idea, but to me that means you take every single round super serious.  I consider myself a serious golfer: I play a lot, I actively work at improving, and I play competitively a handful of times per year . . . but there is no way I take every single time I tee up a ball that seriously.  Sometimes I play with my wife (she would certainly not have as much fun if I treated it as a serious round), at least once a month I play a round with three clubs (even if I'm trying to score, how could that be reflective of the state of my game?); sometimes I play with dudes who play maybe 2x a year and those rounds involve a cooler of beer, music, and general shenanigans, etc.

In my opinion your handicap is meant to reflect your ability as a golfer, and in any of those situations above, I don't see how that would serve any purpose.

Just read this after my previous post. As I mentioned, you have to 'declare' a round for posting or not before you start. That's it. Reason/s not required. But you can't change your mind afterwards.

Vishal S.

If your a golfer who considers himself a real golfer then you should post every round played. Doesn't matter that you played from another set of tees. You still have to swing the club

I disagree. I play a bit of "client golf" for work and as a general rule, I do not post those rounds. During these rounds, most of my focus in on personal and business discussions. I still try my hardest to hit good shots, but my focus is not really on my score. If a client wants to swat a 4 footer for bogey back tome and say "that's good," I'm certainly not going to correct him.

Just read this after my previous post. As I mentioned, you have to 'declare' a round for posting or not before you start. That's it. Reason/s not required. But you can't change your mind afterwards.

That makes perfect sense to me.  I might not post every round, but I definitely don't decide based on the result after the fact.

I disagree. I play a bit of "client golf" for work and as a general rule, I do not post those rounds. During these rounds, most of my focus in on personal and business discussions. I still try my hardest to hit good shots, but my focus is not really on my score. If a client wants to swat a 4 footer for bogey back tome and say "that's good," I'm certainly not going to correct him.

Agreed, another good example.

I post every round that qualifies to be posted, i.e. I don't post rounds from scrambles, best balls or other formats where I do not solely play my ball from tee to green.  Our club has an excellent range and short game area so if I want to practice I use those, if I play on the course, I post the round.

Joe Paradiso

Yes.

My "practice" golf on the course tends to be 3-5 holes, hitting multiple balls.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!