IGNORED

Taylormade M1 Driver

Note: This thread is 1935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been watching some videos and reading some information about the new TM driver. This one actually seems like something that every level of golfer can use, unlike the R15 and the SLDR. I think the SLDR may have been one of the least forgiving clubs ever, they didn't seem to last long at all in anyone's bag I know of. I have to admit I don't really know how forgiving the R15 is, it could be decently forgiving but with as similar as it was to the SLDR I wasn't even tempted to try it. I like the look of the M1 and feel like it may actually be something I'd be interested in getting.... At least until I saw the price of it. I believe it starts at $499?  Anyone else have any interest in this club?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

:scared:

(No thanks)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

What I find interesting is that the press for this driver reveals inconsistencies in TM's marketing.

All of the materials for the SLDR talked about how "low and forward" CG would promote more distance - period.  Now, the M1 reveals that low-forward and low-back each have their own distinct advantages.

All of the materials for the AeroBurner talk about how little tweaks (such as a fin on the hosel) create aerodynamic conditions that allow for more speed.  Then, the sole of the M1 and the adjustable hosel make it clear that aerodynamics weren't a priority.

I'm not saying that any of this is BS or made up; it's just inconsistent.

Of course, I will never spend $499 on a driver, so I'm not really the target market.

In a more general sense, I find adjustable (draw/fade) drivers a tough sell for me...seems weird to use manufactured gear effect to compensate for swing path.  Not that it doesn't work; it's just a personal discomfort.

- John

What I find interesting is that the press for this driver reveals inconsistencies in TM's marketing.

All of the materials for the SLDR talked about how "low and forward" CG would promote more distance - period.  Now, the M1 reveals that low-forward and low-back each have their own distinct advantages.

All of the materials for the AeroBurner talk about how little tweaks (such as a fin on the hosel) create aerodynamic conditions that allow for more speed.  Then, the sole of the M1 and the adjustable hosel make it clear that aerodynamics weren't a priority.

I'm not saying that any of this is BS or made up; it's just inconsistent.

Of course, I will never spend $499 on a driver, so I'm not really the target market.

In a more general sense, I find adjustable (draw/fade) drivers a tough sell for me...seems weird to use manufactured gear effect to compensate for swing path.  Not that it doesn't work; it's just a personal discomfort.

Those slide weights are more for fine tuning for strike placement from what I understand. If someone consistently hits more towards the toe, you move the weight towards the toe to help move the CoG towards that part of the club. At least that's the way someone explained it to me. Overall, though, I agree people tend to think that weight is going to turn their slice/hook into a small fade/draw, which is very incorrect. I'm with you on the never spending that much on a driver, but I'm sure they'll have no shortage of people willing to do so. I'll wait for the M1 s** version with the nonadjustable shaft that comes out sometime next year at about 350 or so before I contemplate checking one out.

**total guess based on what they did with the SLDR

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

What I find interesting is that the press for this driver reveals inconsistencies in TM's marketing. All of the materials for the SLDR talked about how "low and forward" CG would promote more distance - period.  Now, the M1 reveals that low-forward and low-back each have their own distinct advantages. All of the materials for the AeroBurner talk about how little tweaks (such as a fin on the hosel) create aerodynamic conditions that allow for more speed.  Then, the sole of the M1 and the adjustable hosel make it clear that aerodynamics weren't a priority. I'm not saying that any of this is BS or made up; it's just inconsistent. Of course, I will never spend $499 on a driver, so I'm not really the target market. In a more general sense, I find adjustable (draw/fade) drivers a tough sell for me...seems weird to use manufactured gear effect to compensate for swing path.  Not that it doesn't work; it's just a personal discomfort.

Just get it for $170 next August! I hate the look of white drivers; it's just Pavlovian at this point. I was all about getting a new driver until I learned to hit my own one. My brother got the Big Bertha I'd been salivating over and left it at my place, but I don't get any benefit from it, so I never use it, which would've blown my head away even 6 months ago. I'm curious how much the front back adjustments will do in this driver. It's a tiny weight and I'm skeptical that it's something that'll make a statistical difference to handicap golfers who struggle to deliver any sort of consistent impact.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Just get it for $170 next August!

I hate the look of white drivers; it's just Pavlovian at this point. I was all about getting a new driver until I learned to hit my own one. My brother got the Big Bertha I'd been salivating over and left it at my place, but I don't get any benefit from it, so I never use it, which would've blown my head away even 6 months ago. I'm curious how much the front back adjustments will do in this driver. It's a tiny weight and I'm skeptical that it's something that'll make a statistical difference to handicap golfers who struggle to deliver any sort of consistent impact.

I heard in one video that you can add weights to it, maybe heavier ones or additional ones. I probably could just stick with the older Nike driver I have, though based on game golf stats it was about 10 yards shorter on average than my G25 that was stolen. If my clubs hadn't gotten stolen, I wouldn't even have bothered looking at the information about the M1. But, now that I am looking at drivers again, well of course I was going to look at the information on this one. It definitely had me interested until I saw the price.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I heard in one video that you can add weights to it, maybe heavier ones or additional ones. I probably could just stick with the older Nike driver I have, though based on game golf stats it was about 10 yards shorter on average than my G25 that was stolen. If my clubs hadn't gotten stolen, I wouldn't even have bothered looking at the information about the M1. But, now that I am looking at drivers again, well of course I was going to look at the information on this one. It definitely had me interested until I saw the price.

Yeah, Rick Shiels said something to that effect about adding weights, but I hadn't heard it elsewhere. The price is pretty standard (and cheap compared to what Callaway thinks it can get away with lately), I think.

• Like 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• 2 weeks later...

Those slide weights are more for fine tuning for strike placement from what I understand. If someone consistently hits more towards the toe, you move the weight towards the toe to help move the CoG towards that part of the club. At least that's the way someone explained it to me. Overall, though, I agree people tend to think that weight is going to turn their slice/hook into a small fade/draw, which is very incorrect. I'm with you on the never spending that much on a driver, but I'm sure they'll have no shortage of people willing to do so. I'll wait for the M1 s** version with the nonadjustable shaft that comes out sometime next year at about 350 or so before I contemplate checking one out.

**total guess based on what they did with the SLDR

I am a bit dubious on the whole moving the CG to where you are striking it. I think it depends on your swing path.

Actually sliding the weight can effect the gear effect on the driver a good amount. It might not turn a slice into a hook, but it can take a bit of curve off.

I found the M1 to be a decent driver. It's going to be in the low spinning market for sure. As always, get fitted first.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Seems like they are always coming out with the latest and greatest new thing that will revolutionize the game. Then a year or so later you can get that 'revolutionary' driver for half the price because they have come out with yet another driver that is the latest and greatest. Patience is your wallets best friend. I replaced my Driver this year but there was no way I was paying the asking price on the latest and 'greatest' drivers.

After watching Jason Day kill that M1 at the BMW I'm betting quite a few people will be ponying up for it. For me, like the other poster I'll wait to see if the driver does what the hype says. Plus if it's as good as they say the I'll be up for $179. no more though.

As someone wise once said, "Buy equipment for the game you have, not the game you wish you had."

Also, buy the equipment that takes care of you on the not-so-great swing days.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I like it, I just wish TaylorMade would stop making golf clubs look crazy solely for the purpose of making them look crazy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I like it, I just wish TaylorMade would stop making golf clubs look crazy solely for the purpose of making them look crazy.

Uh, I think you mean innovative :-P

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I don't like the new drivers.  They are way too busy - way too much going on.

Best thing ever for me to exchange my adjustable driver for the simple 'limited' version.

Bill - 

I am a bit dubious on the whole moving the CG to where you are striking it. I think it depends on your swing path.

Actually sliding the weight can effect the gear effect on the driver a good amount. It might not turn a slice into a hook, but it can take a bit of curve off.

I found the M1 to be a decent driver. It's going to be in the low spinning market for sure. As always, get fitted first.

From my own experience when I was trying out clubs it did seem to help a little bit. I have been struggling with hitting the ball off the heel and when using the 815 alpha with the gravity core set high and the 7 gram in the heel and 1 gram in the toe I had slightly straighter ball flight and more distance than when hitting the G30 which did not allow for any adjustments. Ball strikes were from the same part of the face on both clubs, same day and switching back and forth between the 2 clubs throughout the testing. The differences were not huge, by any means, but they were there. That being said, I'd rather just fix my swing to stop hitting out of the heel. However, someone who doesn't want to change their swing would definitely benefit from this type of adjustment. As long as they aren't expecting it to make huge changes.

As someone wise once said, "Buy equipment for the game you have, not the game you wish you had."

Also, buy the equipment that takes care of you on the not-so-great swing days.

I agree.

I liked it just fine also. I actually hit the 430 better in basically neutral settings than I did the 460, but I didn't hit it really any better than I did my old Nike and not as well as I was hitting the G25 I had bought. As for as the looks, with as close as clubs perform overall these days, trying to add appeal through aesthetics is just as big a selling point as anything from a marketing standpoint I'd assume.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I'm just not buying into all these adjustments.    My driving is pretty solid by most amateur standards, but my point of contact is so inconsistent - could be within an inch and a half anyplace on the clubface.    Sure, I'd like it forgiving.     But to try to dial in a driver with all those adjustments seems silly for the most of us who don't hit the same spot on the clubface consistently.

I consider draw and neutral bias adjustability in the hosel a necessity, but anything more on the clubhead overkill for someone of my ability.  Maybe it works for the elite guys, but I'm not buying into it as anything more than marketing hype for the average to fairly serious amateur.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Honestly Taylormade hasn't interested me in a driver since the SLDR and that was a bit of an accident.

I am more interested in seeing what PING does with their next driver.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1935 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!