IGNORED

A Question for the 200-220 Yard Drivers, About Low Scores

YoungTad
Note: This thread is 1802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, YoungTad said:

Hey guys. 

Im just wondering, for us amateurs who can’t hit distance, how do you handle 450 yard par 4’s?

say I hit a good 210 driver, followed by my 4 iron which is 180, that still leaves me 2 shots for par, but still 60 yards out from the pin. At best that’s 3 shots for me.

do you guys just practice your short game too help improve on this? 

My 2 clubs for close range is Pitcher and a 56, maybe I should consider more wedges for more control in short shots?

One of the best players I play with, and plays in single figures, uses nothing bigger than a 5 wood. What he loses in distance he gains in accuracy, and a great short game. 

- Simon Hornsby

19 hours ago, iacas said:

They're stealing from us, the sellers on Amazon (unless you bought a used copy from an individual).

🥺 WTF??!?! Are you pressing charges against them? If not, you should...

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would definitely add a wedge (or 2). I do carry four in my bag. And working more short game than full swing never hurt any ones's game. In fact, I cannot recall any article/advice regarding practicing that DIDN'T emphasize working MUCH more short game and putting than full swing. I play in a senior league with guys in their 70s. Many of them do not reach in regulation - but, they're scoring in the low 80s because their short game is that on point. 

That being said, I LOVE all the comments recommending moving to a more forward tee box. I wish every weekend golfer would!! I would bet that 85% of the slow groups I've been stuck behind are playing for the wrong tee boxes. Age, distance, and handicap should be more of a determinant of the correct tee box than pride! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paul OBrien said:

That being said, I LOVE all the comments recommending moving to a more forward tee box. I wish every weekend golfer would!! I would bet that 85% of the slow groups I've been stuck behind are playing for the wrong tee boxes. Age, distance, and handicap should be more of a determinant of the correct tee box than pride! 

I think just distance should be the main factor with handicap coming in at a distant second place only as a testament to someone’s accuracy? Age either causes distance loss or not, so I would really factor that in with distance. 😁

Even then, they don’t have to be that accurate, just enough to make reasonable second shots...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Paul OBrien said:

I would definitely add a wedge (or 2). I do carry four in my bag. And working more short game than full swing never hurt any ones's game. In fact, I cannot recall any article/advice regarding practicing that DIDN'T emphasize working MUCH more short game and putting than full swing. I play in a senior league with guys in their 70s. Many of them do not reach in regulation - but, they're scoring in the low 80s because their short game is that on point. 

46 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think just distance should be the main factor with handicap coming in at a distant second place only as a testament to someone’s accuracy? Age either causes distance loss or not, so I would really factor that in with distance. 😁

Even then, they don’t have to be that accurate, just enough to make reasonable second shots...

Chambers Bay uses distance for their tee boxes.  I can't remember the exact distances, but it was something like tees were for 280+, 250-279, 220-249, and 190-219.  That really makes sense to me.  I played it right before the 2015 US Open.  Beautiful and amazing course--shame what happened to it shortly afterward.

On 5/5/2019 at 1:26 PM, benharris said:

Quick question to those who would play a par four like this as if it were a par five.

Why not just move to a more forward set of tees? Or play a hybrid tee setup?

I do not understand the mindset of stepping up to a par 4 and just accepting that bogey is your best realistic score. It just seems like a stressful way to play golf. I know that if I was was playing some monster of a course where I was playing long irons/hybrids/woods into all the greens after hitting good drives that I would really not be having fun.

I am kinda working under the assumption that with this par 4 that is treated as a par 5, that there are also holes where you can make some hay. If the entire course is like this, I would play up. But if it's this one ridiculous hole, score where I can and take my medicine here sounds kinda like golf. 

59 minutes ago, Paul OBrien said:

I am kinda working under the assumption that with this par 4 that is treated as a par 5, that there are also holes where you can make some hay. If the entire course is like this, I would play up. But if it's this one ridiculous hole, score where I can and take my medicine here sounds kinda like golf. 

It’s pretty rare to have the average hole be 320 yards only to have a monster one 130 yards longer though.

Of course, most men won’t play from that short a distance even if they don’t drive long enough to play the tees they do.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

WHITE 520 325 310 155 370 375 145 345 500 3045 495 365 195 370 180 375 495 435 375 3285 6330
GOLD 495 315 295 150 350 360 130 325 475 2895 480 350 180 355 165 360 475 415 355 3135 6030

Listed above are the actual tee boxes and associated yardages on my current home course.  I play from the white tees and i have highlighted in bold the 520 yard par 5 that I have trouble reaching and the 435 yard par 4 that I just cannot reach.  I have the ability to reach 16 of the 18 holes but being a 16 handicap of course I do not always reach and have a relatively low GIR,  But if I put a couple of good swings (for me) I can reach most of the holes.  I have also shown the gold senior tees which i have played but they did not make much of a difference in my score.  That being said, I do get a lot of use out of my long hybrids on approach shots.  On a good day I will have about 4-5 GIR from either tee.  Challenging but fun.

Listed below are the new "green tees" which I will eventually move up to.

GREEN 485 290 265 135 310 335 120 315 415 2670 465 300 170 310 155 305 465 345 300 2815 5485

On 5/7/2019 at 2:52 PM, iacas said:

It's not optimal for the general golfer, that's all. 

Well, honestly, I have the one lengths now, and I'm not thinking about confidence with different clubs anymore. They're all the same. Depending upon lie, I'd pop either the 24H or the 6i and let it roll out to about 60 yds from the hole and hit a the S wedge up. Take my lumps from there. I was thinking about someone who was a high handicapper who happened to hit a decent drive - there are people like that who can get off the tee but are crap on the fairway. But you're right, for a middling bogey golfer, no, it wasn't ideal. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

7 hours ago, Paul OBrien said:

And working more short game than full swing never hurt any ones's game. In fact, I cannot recall any article/advice regarding practicing that DIDN'T emphasize working MUCH more short game and putting than full swing.

Um... well, working on short game does more for your score than drinking another beer does, but it's not anywhere near as important as full swing practice unless you are incompetent at chipping and pitching.   Those articles are generally preaching at people who never practice short game or putting, except maybe to slap a few balls haphazardly at a hole a few minutes before teeing off. 

For reference, only a little more than a third of your practice time should be spent on non-full-swing aspects of the game, unless something in your game is waaaay off (e.g., incompetent at chipping). 

See this for more details, it will change the way you practice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Well, honestly, I have the one lengths now, and I'm not thinking about confidence with different clubs anymore. They're all the same. Depending upon lie, I'd pop either the 24H or the 6i and let it roll out to about 60 yds from the hole and hit a the S wedge up. Take my lumps from there. I was thinking about someone who was a high handicapper who happened to hit a decent drive - there are people like that who can get off the tee but are crap on the fairway. But you're right, for a middling bogey golfer, no, it wasn't ideal. 

I am one of the guys who has less trouble with my tee shot but tends to be a disaster between there and the green.

I have never seen a par 4 of 450 yds. If I did I would play as a 5. Drive 220, FM 160, then wedge on from 70.

16 hours ago, NJpatbee said:
WHITE 520 325 310 155 370 375 145 345 500 3045 495 365 195 370 180 375 495 435 375 3285 6330
GOLD 495 315 295 150 350 360 130 325 475 2895 480 350 180 355 165 360 475 415 355 3135 6030

Listed above are the actual tee boxes and associated yardages on my current home course.  I play from the white tees and i have highlighted in bold the 520 yard par 5 that I have trouble reaching and the 435 yard par 4 that I just cannot reach.  I have the ability to reach 16 of the 18 holes but being a 16 handicap of course I do not always reach and have a relatively low GIR,  But if I put a couple of good swings (for me) I can reach most of the holes.  I have also shown the gold senior tees which i have played but they did not make much of a difference in my score.  That being said, I do get a lot of use out of my long hybrids on approach shots.  On a good day I will have about 4-5 GIR from either tee.  Challenging but fun.

Listed below are the new "green tees" which I will eventually move up to.

GREEN 485 290 265 135 310 335 120 315 415 2670 465 300 170 310 155 305 465 345 300 2815 5485

Even if you move to the gold tees, I can guarantee that you’ll have more fun. 😊

Green is a great idea! Honestly, unless you shoot in the 70s is doesn’t make a lot of sense to play the white tees...

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

18 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Even if you move to the gold tees, I can guarantee that you’ll have more fun. 😊

Green is a great idea! Honestly, unless you shoot in the 70s is doesn’t make a lot of sense to play the white tees...

I think moving up if the course has an extra set of tees to allow for this is a great idea. 

I believe players who drive it from 200-220 should be playing from tees that are 5,700-5,900 yards.

Even the USGA has a statement about "bogey golfers" that states something like they can reach a 370-yard hole with 2 shots.

If your average distances are as stated above. If you have a 450-yard par-4 from the tees you play and it's an outlier, moving up may not be possible, however if there are more than one at this length you may want to consider moving up. 

Alina my 5-year-old daughter drives it about 140 yards (carry and roll), She plays from the ladies tees (5500 yards or about 2700 yards on the front nine). And she has trouble with the two par-5s espically #1 (455 yards). If I could move her up I would.

I have stated to Mike (the Superintendent) that the ladies tees are too far back on most holes. I see adult ladies hitting woods into the par-threes and Woods to lay-up on a lot of the par-4s. The city just doesn't want to give him enough money to move up the regular ladies tees. The point of the story is: Alina usually make up for her score on the par-3s and the 2 shorter par-fours. She typically shoots in the low 50s for 9 holes.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I have stated to Mike (the Superintendent) that the ladies tees are too far back on most holes. I see adult ladies hitting woods into the par-threes and Woods to lay-up on a lot of the par-4s. The city just doesn't want to give him enough money to move up the regular ladies tees. The point of the story is: Alina usually make up for her score on the par-3s and the 2 shorter par-fours. She typically shoots in the low 50s for 9 holes.

This is a regular problem at a lot of courses.  The tees for women are, at best, an afterthought.  I'd love it if they could take a typical male bogey golfer, figure out what clubs he's likely to hit on each hole, and set the yardage for the ladies' tees based on a typical woman bogey golfer.   It's kind of absurd that there are holes where I'm hitting driver, 7-iron to the green and my mom hits a good driver, a good 5-wood and has another full swing left.  She's not quite a bogey golfer but I still view it as a sign that her tees are too far back. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The two charts above will help explain this better than I can.

If you are driving it 214 yards, which I believe is what Trackman data found for average bogey golfers. you should be playing a set of tees that is between 5,500-5,700 yards. Not 6,300-6,500 which some courses middle tees are set up at.\

Who wants to play 450-yard par 4s where it's a drive, a good hybrid or wood, and a 1/2 SW just to reach the green in 3. You'll struggle to make 4. You may take 5, but you are going to make a lot of 6s, 7s, and others. I'm not saying that you'd ever have more than one par-four at 450 yards playing from the white tees...

If your course's championship tees are set where you have a 450 yard par 4. think of what a tour pro would probably hit into that hole. The average length tour pro is going to probably hit Driver, 7-iron. So which set of tees affords you the chance to hit Driver, 7-iron? That is a question you have to ask yourself.

I average around 265 yards off the tee when all is said and done, perhaps slightly longer... so let's use 265 yards for this example. Take your driver distance and multiply it by 28. so 265 * 28= 7420 still probably too long for me. the 5-iron/hybrid distance is probably a better barometer. I hit my 5-iron 185 yards. So you take your 5-iron distance and multiply it by 36 So 185 * 36= 6660. I honestly think that 5-iron distance is a little better barometer... I honestly believe even despite what the chart says:

Edited by onthehunt526
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Who wants to play 450-yard par 4s where it's a drive, a good hybrid or wood, and a 1/2 SW just to reach the green in 3. You'll struggle to make 4. You may take 5, but you are going to make a lot of 6s, 7s, and others. I'm not saying that you'd ever have more than one par-four at 450 yards playing from the white tees...

There aren't many courses that have 450-yard holes when the total yardage is 6300.

450 x 18 = 8100 yards. 6300 = 350 yards, so you'd need a hole 100 yards longer than average.

Whispering Woods 6500 yards from the blue tees. The longest par fours from those tees are:

• 1: 426 yards (376)
  • 8: 423 yards (377)
  • 10: 451 yards (390)
  • 18: 411 yards (381)

The white tees, the yardages in the parentheses, are 6043 yards. The White tees are the middle tees at WW, and the yardage is "shortened" because holes 4, 5, 14, and 16 require hybrids off the tees, or less. In other words, 6043 yards plays about like 6300 yards because you're taking off about 50 yards from four holes where players don't hit driver (can't, really).

(The tips are 6800 yards, which is why the course plays like it's 7000 yards.)

In other words, I don't think these 450-yard holes are popping up very often from 6300-yard tees… unless they're par fives.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

There aren't many courses that have 450-yard holes when the total yardage is 6300.

450 x 18 = 8100 yards. 6300 = 350 yards, so you'd need a hole 100 yards longer than average.

Whispering Woods 6500 yards from the blue tees. The longest par fours from those tees are:

• 1: 426 yards (376)
  • 8: 423 yards (377)
  • 10: 451 yards (390)
  • 18: 411 yards (381)

The white tees, the yardages in the parentheses, are 6043 yards. The White tees are the middle tees at WW, and the yardage is "shortened" because holes 4, 5, 14, and 16 require hybrids off the tees, or less. In other words, 6043 yards plays about like 6300 yards because you're taking off about 50 yards from four holes where players don't hit driver (can't, really).

(The tips are 6800 yards, which is why the course plays like it's 7000 yards.)

In other words, I don't think these 450-yard holes are popping up very often from 6300-yard tees… unless they're par fives.

That's true, Erik. There is one course I know in my area that funny enough is less than 6300 yards and has 3 par 4s over 450 yards.

TEE PAR YARDAGE SLOPE RATING 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL
Blue Tees 70 6271 120 69.9 348 139 376 464 494 452 469 188 367 3297 504 349 187 498 183 406 321 224 302 2974 6271
White Tees 70 6044 118 69.5 333 130 358 443 486 439 456 176 356 3177 484 338 174 483 172 398 312 218 288 2867 6044
Red Tees 70 5166 114 68.8 295 122 310 348 344 359 408 164 306 2656 427 328 143 440 144 336 224 216 252 2510 5166
Par 70 70     4 3 4 4 5 4 4 3 4 35 5 4 3 5 3 4 4 3 4 35 70

Canasawacta Country Club in Norwich, NY 4, 6, and 7 from the blue tees are over 450 yards, from the white 4 is 443, 6 is 439, 7 is 452. the 7th is a bear, too. Uphill into the wind all the time. I guess 7 was a par 5 way back when, but when the USGA re-rated the course back in the 1990s the 7th became a par 4. In high school our league championship was on this course and I hit 3-wood/4-iron to 30 feet and made the putt for the only birdie of the day on the 7th. These 3 par-4s are probably an outlier when all is said and done. but from the Blues and Whites at this particular course those 3 holes are absolute bears.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 1802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!