IGNORED

When to Get New Irons?

Bjankovich

Average golfer,  90’s, playing Taylormade R7’s

how often do people upgrade irons? Is technology better now then the R7’s

thank you for the answer. I don’t want to spend if I don’t need to..

cheers

• iacas changed the title to When to Get New Irons?

I just bought new irons after 10 years.

Yes, technology has improved.  But those R7’s remain good clubs and if you don’t want to spend the money, it’s not likely that buying new clubs will noticeably improve your game.  

Welcome to TST!  :beer:

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm averaging near 90 too and change my irons last year after 8 years. Have gone from beginner set iron (john daly cs91) to TaylorMade RocketBladez. The swing flaws are still the same but i've gained 10-15 yards with those clubs and are a little more consistent with my misses. It can help to change but that haven't improved my scores that much. In your case TM R7 is way better than my john daly was so if I were in your shoes I wouldn't fell the needs to change right now.

Whenever you want.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

How long have you been playing? How long have you been shooting 90? Do you have anything like Game Golf or Arccos? If not you might want to consider something like that to track your game stats and see where you need to practice.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Get new irons ( like @Vinsk said) when you want to buy a new set of irons.  Often times we enjoy rewarding ourselves.  Golf is not immune to this desire.  Did I need another bass guitar?  Of course not.  Did I want a 5 string?  You bet I did...so I bought one.  Did that make me a better musician?  No...but who doesn't like toys?

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

21 hours ago, Bjankovich said:

how often do people upgrade irons?

When to get new irons and how often do I upgrade are two different questions.

I get a set of irons every two or three years or so, but almost never as an upgrade 😉

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I know a guy who played with a set of Ping irons for 23 years.

Julia

Spoiler

On 5/13/2019 at 7:15 AM, Bjankovich said:

i should probably spend the money on lessons.. lol

A lot of us on here have found success with evolvr.  You can also start a "My Swing" thread on this site;  for more information on that, see here: 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Things that change and need an upgrade is swing speed. When your swing speed drops you need more flex in your shafts. If you play forged irons you might want to go to cast perimeter weighted. I have played certain sets as many as 10 years but those were blades 30 years ago. I was scratch back then.

Alpha V5 9.0 XStiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 13* Stiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 19* Hybrid Stiff
Cleveland CG Red Irons 4-PW Stiff
Merit Golf 52* StiffCleveland 900 series 56* & 60* RegScotty Cameron Laguna Mid-Slant"I hit 2 good balls today, I stepped on a rake."

When to get new irons?

Right now, of course. And you'll never do better than a set of Tour Edge XCG3s. They were the iron of the early 2010s. Without peer in their day, appreciating classics today.

By happy circumstance, I have a near-mint set in climate-controlled storage (otherwise known as the back of my closet). PM me for Paypal details, and we'll open negotiations around $500 or so?

Edited by ScouseJohnny

On 5/12/2019 at 6:46 PM, Bjankovich said:

Average golfer,  90’s, playing Taylormade R7’s

how often do people upgrade irons? Is technology better now then the R7’s

thank you for the answer. I don’t want to spend if I don’t need to..

cheers

Nothing wrong with the R7 irons...very forgiving.....and as a 90's players....they are fine for you.

Heck with.... the right shafts....I could easily play them as a 7.3 cap.

• Like 1

The R7's are fine enough as a set.

What you should do is get fitted and see if your current set is OK for your game.  Things that will matter will be shaft flex, lie of clubhead, length of shaft primarily.  Another thing that can matter is the trajectory the ball comes off at.  Is it too high, too low, or right.  Assuming your set is OK for all these things, then changing is not really necessary.  You will not gain a great deal with a newer set

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 4:51 PM, Mr22putt said:

Nothing wrong with the R7 irons...very forgiving.....and as a 90's players....they are fine for you.

Heck with.... the right shafts....I could easily play them as a 7.3 cap.

So to update, I was at a local golf shop. Hit the M3 and P790 stiff flex

Both were going 25-30 yards more then my R7 which I brought with me 

7 iron

the guy at the shop suggested it’s because of the flex. My R7’s are regular Flex and the 2 others are Stiff.

could that be the case? If so would it be better to save up next year for the M3 or re-shaft the R7’s?

thanks again all!

Short story? He's full of ****.

Long story: 

1) The loft on the R7 7 iron is 32 degrees. The loft on the M3 7 iron is 30.5 degrees. 

2) Shaft stiffness only affects feel. It will have minimal affect on distance. 

3) The technology on the irons has improved to where they're making thinner, bouncier faces on the irons than they were in 2011. But the irons are typically lower spinning which gives them more distance. They've also done some mumbo jumbo with center of gravity and moment of inertia hollow cavity and all that technical BS I don't know anything about that they weren't doing in 2011. Forgiveness is the model even on "players clubs." It's how much do you want to pay?

But the shaft stiffness has the least affect on how far you're hitting the ball. 

It's about what you want. Do you want new irons? If so, go for it. Save up for next year.

• Like 1

Julia

Spoiler

The important question with irons is whether a change will improve your accuracy.  Another is whether your physical condition has changed enough to change shafts.  I went to lightweight graphite shafts because they fit my swing better now and are easier on my back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver :cobra:  Fly-Z+ 

3W, 5W :bridgestone:  J33

4-PW :wilsonstaff: D9

52, 55, 60  :wilson: Harmonized

Putter :wilsonstaff: 8882