IGNORED

Fake Snakes to Scare Off Ducks

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sometimes a snake is not a snake. Fake snake even has tongue. I wonder how effective it is. How does that work with the rules of golf, lol? Man made obstruction?

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.39.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.39.32 AM.png

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lol. So I can just see a real Cottonmouth hanging out and some poor dude goes to move it and....Bam!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

We have fake coyotes on courses here that are used to scare away geese. Strikes me as pretty similar.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Might work if golfers cooperate.  I worked a place that had an elevated test platform about 30' above ground.  Every time we went to use it we had to clean off the Pigeon leavings (how's that for a delicate description?).  So we put up some plastic owls and that worked for week or so but even pigeons will eventually figure out they are not alive.  So we upped our technology to fake owls that had motion sensors and make noise when the pigeons showed up. That helped, but even that eventually failed.  We finally had to just make all the landing areas (railings mostly) very unfriendly with plastic spikes. 

Also one of the local courses had Elk problems, especially in Winter.  They put up scarecrows and other things to protect the course from the Elk. Helps some but not effective longer term.

I guess my point here is, these dumb animals are not as dumb as one might think, especially animals that are prey,  and fake anything doesn't seem to work long term. Barriers seem to be the only longer term solution and don't know how you do that on a golf course. 

• Informative 1

Butch

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Lol. So I can just see a real Cottonmouth hanging out and some poor dude goes to move it and....Bam!

That would bite.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Sailors have used these types of things forever in the hope of keeping birds and vermin away from their boats.  Plastic snakes, owls, hawks...

It doesn’t work.   ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

We have fake coyotes on courses here that are used to scare away geese. Strikes me as pretty similar.

We had them at work. The geese used to hang around them like they were college pals. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Even a fake snake would scare me off...lol.

I have already seen two, real Mojave Green Rattlers this spring. One on the golf course, and one walking my dogs. 

My respect for those critters is based on fear.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Depending upon the size of the pond,  I've seen people run string from one side of the pond to the other in various locations.   This seems to work as a deterrent for water fowl.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Does that apply to wives also?

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Does that apply to wives also?

No, just snakes as far as fear goes. Except for snakes, not much else scares, or bothers me.  

I respect my wife for a whole lot of other reasons. One being she has put up with me for 49 years, and 9+ months.  

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

54 minutes ago, Patch said:

No, just snakes as far as fear goes. Except for snakes, not much else scares, or bothers me.  

I respect my wife for a whole lot of other reasons. One being she has put up with me for 49 years, and 9+ months.  

I have a healthy fear of my wife (in case she's checking up on me and reading this...)

• Like 3

Colin P.

I have a severe fear of snakes.   If they are TV, we're turning the channel for a few minutes.   I don't care who is in the room.   Maybe living in Michigan is good for me.   We don't see too many, even little garter snakes.    

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

7 hours ago, Patch said:

Even a fake snake would scare me off...lol.

I have already seen two, real Mojave Green Rattlers this spring. One on the golf course, and one walking my dogs. 

And well  you should be afraid. Of all the rattle snakes the Green Rattler has the most deadly venom.

Butch

5 hours ago, Patch said:

Wow! You are close to your Golden Anniversary! About to get your pics in the paper!

Note: This thread is 1809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!