26 posts / 1707 viewsLast Reply

Hi everyone, my first post on the site so please be gentle!!!  I've been struggling with consistency for years, good ball striking one minute and a complete novice hacking and shanking the next, so had a lesson a few weeks ago where after some work on backswing and posture it was pointed out that I'm not getting my weight onto my front leg after impact.   We altered my set up a touch with more weight on my lead leg at address and the results have been staggering, straight or slight draw iron shots out of the middle of the club and after 3 weeks playing and practice my iron and hybrid play is much improved and far more consistent.  However I'm still struggling to get my weight forward when using my driver and distance has dropped off in past 6 months.  I've a couple of questions to ask

1. Does anyone else set up with more weight on left side at address and how does it work for you?

2. How can I get my weight transferred with my driver, would narrowing my stance help?

thanks

Geraint

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Hi,

Welcome to TST.  We're glad to have you.

I definitely favor my front side and have gotten down as low as 12.2 doing so.  "Weight forward" at impact is certainly a commonality among all good swings, and I'm just now aiming to work towards fixing it. 

I'm not sure how much I can help you with the driver piece.  Do you want to make a "My swing" thread with video?  Either I, or probably someone who knows more than I do, could try to help you from there. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even though it is still extremely important I’d say that the driver is one of the clubs that benefits the least from getting the weight forward at impact.

Edited by Grizvok

On 6/15/2019 at 6:55 AM, Grizvok said:

Even though it is still extremely important I’d say that the driver is one of the clubs that benefits the least from getting the weight forward at impact.

I struggle with pull hooks and/or hitting the ground first if I don't get my weight forward.

OP, I also find the weight shift more difficult with the driver because the stance is wider.. that might not be the reason, but it's what I feel.  The other thing that makes it harder for me is if my head/torso moves back on the backswing. So i tend to have more weight forward at address and keep it there, then start the downswing with my knees.  Works for me. If i execute properly, straight drives... BUT... it's not good for distance. I have got my driver up to 240yds, but that is a perfect one. I get quite a lot of spin on the ball I think with a very high ball flight.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, Geraint Hughes said:

2. How can I get my weight transferred with my driver, would narrowing my stance help?

This could cause you to sway more and cause stability issues. It also depends on how wide your stance is currently.

A proper weight shift is helped by turning correctly.

A weight shift is not something one has to do consciously.  It is an aspect of a proper golf swing.  If your weight is not getting to your front leg...eventually...then something further back in the sequence is responsible for that.  

While not always the case...a fault is often times a result of something else rather than a stand alone issue.  It isn't a fault, per se, but a physical manifestation of a previous action.  

Hi...it's going to take some time and a total rearrangement of what we have thought, and have been taught.. for years.... to help us understand how the body moves in conjunction with our own individual, natural rhythmic motion, to produce our most efficient, effective and repeatable, golf swing.   As a student of the game and a professional caddie for years, I have had the opportunity to see the best players in the world work their magic around a golf course, and witnessed unbelievably bad rounds as well....I'm convinced that the difference between a great and.... not so great round... is rhythm.  I'm convinced that a golfer must get in touch with the... unhurried natural gate... that he or she walks or carries themselves off the golf course.... that dictates the tempo that any shot...from driver to putter...must be disciplined to. 

If anyone that wants to get really consistent at Golf, and I know this sounds simplistic and not much fun....but.... set a metronome to 60 beats a minute and swing back...or to the top.... on the first beat ....then through to the finish... or to the finish or the top of the forward swing....not at the golf ball... on the second beat !!!

This means that 1 beat is the top of the back swing....and the 2 beat is the top ...or finish....of the forward swing.!

Don't worry if it goes off line in the beginning.....just look at the consistency of the strike....believe me from there you can adjust the    club path and ball flight !!!!   But without a constant rhythm....there is....never....ever....a real chance for improvement !!!

5 hours ago, golfprotl1 said:

Hi...it's going to take some time and a total rearrangement of what we have thought, and have been taught.. for years.... to help us understand how the body moves in conjunction with our own individual, natural rhythmic motion, to produce our most efficient, effective and repeatable, golf swing.   As a student of the game and a professional caddie for years, I have had the opportunity to see the best players in the world work their magic around a golf course, and witnessed unbelievably bad rounds as well....I'm convinced that the difference between a great and.... not so great round... is rhythm.  I'm convinced that a golfer must get in touch with the... unhurried natural gate... that he or she walks or carries themselves off the golf course.... that dictates the tempo that any shot...from driver to putter...must be disciplined to. 

If anyone that wants to get really consistent at Golf, and I know this sounds simplistic and not much fun....but.... set a metronome to 60 beats a minute and swing back...or to the top.... on the first beat ....then through to the finish... or to the finish or the top of the forward swing....not at the golf ball... on the second beat !!!

This means that 1 beat is the top of the back swing....and the 2 beat is the top ...or finish....of the forward swing.!

Don't worry if it goes off line in the beginning.....just look at the consistency of the strike....believe me from there you can adjust the    club path and ball flight !!!!   But without a constant rhythm....there is....never....ever....a real chance for improvement !!!

I can make a rhythmic reverse pivot. A repeatable bad swing is still bad.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:12 AM, Piz said:

A weight shift is not something one has to do consciously.

Uhhmmmm?

12 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I can make a rhythmic reverse pivot. A repeatable bad swing is still bad.

My buddy does this constantly! He makes a beautiful practice swing or two, and then proceeds to reverse pivot on the actual hit. What pisses me off is that he still outdrives me and keeps it in the damned fairway! I honestly don't know how he does it! 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Uhhmmmm?

Uhhmmmm, yes it is! I know that Hank Haney is not well liked here, but I saw a tip of his on the weight transfer to the targetward foot. He told the questioner to go to the range and concentrate on nothing but getting his weight to his forward foot on the downswing. Don't care where the ball goes. Don't care what kind of contact you make. You are working on one particular piece of your swing. 

In yesterday's paper I saw a pic of a young lady in the AJGA tourney that is taking place at Mill Creek this week. It was a fraction of a second before impact. and her posture and positions looked absolutely perfect.. No wonder these youngsters can hit a mile past this old fart!

2 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Uhhmmmm, yes it is!

The person said "A weight shift is not something one has to do consciously." I disagree.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Uhhmmmm?

Like walking from place to place.  It is possible to analyze your movements but not necessary.  Can you walk down a flight of stairs in total darkness?  You can and I have.  Start thinking about what your feet are doing and you'll quickly discover that is not a good idea.  

I worked high-rise construction for many years.  Once in a great while we would experience a power outage.  A couple of times, in 1980-81, I and others had to walk down 90+ flights of stairs in total darkness.  Your eyes never adjusted to the light because there wasn't any light to adjust to.  During the long descent your mind would look for things to think about.  And you would come close to taking a header.  That convinced me that we know how to perform certain physical actions despite having no conscious concept of what was actually going on.  Fast forward to the weight shift in a golf swing...

Yes...it happens...but it isn't something that you have to be aware of in order to execute properly.  Your body already knows how to do that.  As easy as it is to get caught up in the mechanics of a given action...those mechanics are intuitive.  

Meaning...you know when you got it right and you know when you haven't.  That is beside the point.  Our sense of balance is a constant.  The specific challenges presented, on a golf course, are not.  Rather than focus on things like the weight shift...how about paying attention to something useful?  Like what is this lie, and this shot, doing to my swing?

1 minute ago, Piz said:

Like walking from place to place.

And yet, there are times when people have to learn to walk again.

1 minute ago, Piz said:

Yes...it happens...but it isn't something that you have to be aware of in order to execute properly.

It's late, so I apologize for the brevity, but that statement is complete bollocks.

I've had to get many, many people to consciously work on their weight shift.

1 minute ago, Piz said:

Your body already knows how to do that.

Nope.

1 minute ago, Piz said:

As easy as it is to get caught up in the mechanics of a given action...those mechanics are intuitive.

Unless they aren't.

Not sure I get your point @iacas.  I've no doubt that working on a weight shift is beneficial to some golfers; but that is winnowing the wheat from the chaff...so to speak.  The wheat, in that case, is identifying actions that prevent a proper sequence from happening.  The mechanics, of a proper sequence, are not dependent on one's understanding of it.  

1 minute ago, Piz said:

Not sure I get your point @iacas.  I've no doubt that working on a weight shift is beneficial to some golfers; but that is winnowing the wheat from the chaff...so to speak.  The wheat, in that case, is identifying actions that prevent a proper sequence from happening.  The mechanics, of a proper sequence, are not dependent on one's understanding of it.  

It's very simple. You said this:

On 6/17/2019 at 11:12 AM, Piz said:

A weight shift is not something one has to do consciously. 

Many players DO have to do it "consciously" (at least for a time) in order to train themselves to do it subconsciously. They have to literally feel their weight shifting, and to do that consciously. Whether it's by just shifting their hips forward, or pushing their lead knee, or whatever, they're consciously performing a "weight shift."

Steps 2 and 3 are "conscious."

Agreed.  None of us were born knowing how to tie our shoes.  Once we did learn...we forgot how to do it.  That it takes some people longer than others to put basic concepts behind them, and move on to something else, is not a reliable indicator of the importance of those concepts.  It does say something about the learning process.  And I think that too many people get side-tracked by the minutiae and lose sight of the forest.  Yes the weight shift is important...but it's making the loop when you tie your shoes: it's only important if you haven't figured it out yet.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

He told the questioner to go to the range and concentrate on nothing but getting his weight to his forward foot on the downswing.

You responded to @iacas with 'yes it is' then this? I don't get your argument here.