IGNORED

Figuring Out Distance

Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sorry if this topic has been posted on here before. Not on this part of the board much. But is there a tool or gadget that helps you determine how far you hit certain clubs? I'm trying to figure out my max distance on clubs. It's hard at the driving range I go to because it's not 100% accurate. With technology nowadays, I don't know if there's a tool that allows you to figure out distance. I know there's those virtual simulations you see on TGC, but I didn't know if there's a cheaper route.

Thanks in advance.

Least expensive tool is a batch of balls and a laser or GPS. 

Find a flat fairway. Put your bag down. Hit a set of shots with 1 club. Walk out and check the distance. For longer clubs you might want to differentiate between carry and total.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, criley4way said:

Least expensive tool is a batch of balls and a laser or GPS.

Or if you are good at pacing off, just count your steps 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Not sure where you are located, but indoor places where you can rent Trackman/GC Quad usage are becoming more and more common. 

By me you can rent the use of one for $25 for an hour and that would be plenty of time for you to hit shots and get an idea of exactly how far each club goes, as well as both lateral and front/back dispersion which is really useful for game planning.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

15 minutes ago, klineka said:

Not sure where you are located, but indoor places where you can rent Trackman/GC Quad usage are becoming more and more common. 

By me you can rent the use of one for $25 for an hour and that would be plenty of time for you to hit shots and get an idea of exactly how far each club goes, as well as both lateral and front/back dispersion which is really useful for game planning.

I’m in Tampa area. But cool. I’ll check that out and see if I can find one. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, klineka said:

Does using a mat instead of turf affect strike and yardages?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

If you ever get 100% accuracy with the distance of each club, go get your PGA card........  :banana:

In my case, I used the average distances, then I have a Smart phone App that measures the distances from tee box to the ball and I adjust my average to what that average is.  Some days it's less, some days it's more. IMO, the shorter the distance, the more you want accuracy.  Simulators are a good start, but, off a mat, indoors with no wind, controlled temp, it's just a start on finding YOUR distances.

Just my hacker opinion...........

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Sorry if this topic has been posted on here before. Not on this part of the board much. But is there a tool or gadget that helps you determine how far you hit certain clubs? I'm trying to figure out my max distance on clubs. It's hard at the driving range I go to because it's not 100% accurate. With technology nowadays, I don't know if there's a tool that allows you to figure out distance. I know there's those virtual simulations you see on TGC, but I didn't know if there's a cheaper route.

Thanks in advance.

Easy- get on a good launch monitor and take your average reasonable carry with each club. Write it down or put in your phone. Easy peezy. 

I don't rely on my gps, or lazer when at the driving range. One reason is I am not using my regular game balls on the DR. Another reason is the roll after the carry on the DR are usually not what it would be when on the course. 

I only measure carry distances. The roll afterwards can have too many i influences 

Computer generated yardage on a simulator will get you close if you have one near by. Then again the computer does not know what the actual course conditions might be.

I measure my carry distances on a dry lake bed, that has blow sand for a landing area. The ball hits the sand, and only moves a few inches, or less. After hitting a few balls, I walk to collect them, while using my lazer, and gps . I get a pretty solid number for the carry distance. 

Before the dry lake, I used empty school play ground properties. 

i will also, when playing,  walk off distances to check on a club's distance. I have a cheat sheet I use. "X" number of steps, equals "X" number of yards. 

I actually don't worry much about the roll after the carry, since it can be different from course to course, and could change through out the day's round on any given course, due to course conditions. The first couple of holes will tell me what I need to know about the roll outs.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

52 minutes ago, Patch said:

Then again the computer does not know what the actual course conditions might be.

That's precisely why launch monitor data is superior- normalized data.  You can adjust to on course depending on the weather.  Not sure what other "conditions" you're referring to other than weather as all you really want is carry any way.

• Like 1

Just play golf.

Hit ball.  Observe distance.  Rinse and repeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 hours ago, ChrisP said:

But is there a tool or gadget that helps you determine how far you hit certain clubs?

Surprised it wasn't mentioned yet: gamegolf.com

• Informative 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

15 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Thank you. Going to look into this .

I’m curious.  You’re an experienced, 5 hcp.  Surely you know how far you hit each club...

What are you trying to figure out that you don’t already know, and why? 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I’m curious.  You’re an experienced, 5 hcp.  Surely you know how far you hit each club...

I was wondering the same thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Just trying to get more precise and exact with my numbers. I know “roughly” how far I hit each club. I just didn’t know if there was technology out there that gives you an exact reading every time you hit it.  

Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!