IGNORED

A Couple of Days Off Helps My Game

cooke119
Note: This thread is 1656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I went to the range and hit something like a 100 balls. Today I played and had a terrible game. I have found that I need a couple of days off before I play, any one else find this to be true?

Three years ago I would be saying not really, as I played often and practiced often as well.
Now that I'm "Over the Hill",  age is catching up with me and I'll take a few days off.

When I happen to play 27 on a day, I certainly need to allow the body/back rest for at least one day.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

Yesterday I went to the range and hit something like a 100 balls. Today I played and had a terrible game. I have found that I need a couple of days off before I play, any one else find this to be true?

No, but I also never hit 100 balls in a practice session.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

You’ve actually logged this and seen a consistent pattern? I’ve certainly had all kinds of experiences post range session. Be it minutes, hours, days or even a week or more between range time and play. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I try to take a day off between actually playing for a score. However, taking a day off between rounds is not carved in stone either.That said, I practice, or play every day. 

At my age, I need to stay "golf active" to keep what ever game I now have.

I recently played 18 holes,  several days in a row. Other times I have played 36 holes in a day. 54 holes in a day is doable, but not very common for me.. 

My golf year (season) runs from Oct 1, Sept 30. I usually take a "golf playing" break the month of Oct. I am well over 100 scoring rounds for this season so far.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• billchao changed the title to A Couple of Days Off Helps My Game
2 hours ago, cooke119 said:

It is a question of fitness.  Some years ago, when youth permitted me to be fit irrespective of whether I exercised or not, it wasn't really a problem.  Now, my fitness levels are bad and that determines the break I need to play a good game.  The less fit, the longer I need 😢

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

A couple of weeks ago we played 18 one day and then 27 the next.   That was enough for me and I was riding in a cart.   I appreciated taking a day off.    I was fatigued before the last 18 finished.  There was a day....when I was younger .....(I forget)...It's hell getting older but it beats the alternative.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

The weather usually provides enough breaks but once in a while, and always in summer, I take a week or two off.  It isn't the game so much as the realization that I'd rather not bake in the sun for 5 hours.

Practice is only productive, for me, if I feel like doing it.  Otherwise it is just smacking golf balls for something to do.  Sometimes that is exactly what I feel like doing...so I do...but I don't confuse hitting a bucket of balls with practice.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

22 hours ago, billchao said:

No, but I also never hit 100 balls in a practice session.

You're right, I overdid it. The range I go to has a machine where you put your card in and a ball pops up, hit the ball and another pops up, no bending down to put a ball on the tee. Problem is you end up hitting a lot of balls. I was working on a pull to the left with my driver and fairway metals, also practicing pitching and chipping off the mat, so I wasn't there just to smack balls. But I did hit a lot of balls. Also being 68 with a bad back doesn't help. Now I know better, (I hope).

At 70, my body makes it difficult to play 2 days in a row. Maybe it would be better in cooler weather, but here in the Miami heat, I usually feel so beaten down the next day, all i want to do is sleep. Since my doctors have told me now to take as much ibuprofen, recovering from the body ache is also difficult.

Admittedly, I need to lose some weight and get in better physical shape in many ways, but I don't know how much that would help. I'm trying, but...

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

• 2 weeks later...

I find my mind needs a rest more than my body, when I play more often.

And it depends on whether I am sleeping well. 

I used to play a lot of tennis. When I played 3-4x a week (competitively) I would always be sore. When I switched to playing daily I was never sore. Go figure. 

Been having issues in general on any course (or starting on front or back) with focusing on the day's back nine, where my score can blow up. 

So many variables, such a tough game to get right on any given day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!