IGNORED

Hitting 3 Wood Off the Deck

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 1669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Casualgolfer said:

Dang I'm the exact polar opposite. If I try to swing easy I mess up. I really gotta go after it to flush it every time. Maybe because my driver is so much longer that the 3 wood feels really short and controllable.

I like to play with a very fast swing. But when I start to lose it, I smooth it right out. 50% speed, slow and easy, just getting the rhythm timing/back. Then I build back up to full speed. The longer clubs are less forgiving of poor sequence and rushing the downswing to mash the ball will kill control/distance imo.

I have another comment which may enlighten readers on this topic.
The 3 wood is a club used in most instances to achieve a very long shot from a fairway lie on par 5's. It could require a fade, a draw or a straight shot, usually which requires accuracy with very little margin of error. In most situations, it's just getting as close as possible to the green.

I've found golfing in the spring when the turf is very wet, I struggle hitting them flush.
I also find, certain situations requiring a shot which goes against my typical ball flight are difficult.
These situations lead to tension when attempting, to make matters more difficult.

When I get into these funky times, I stop attempting them until I gain full confidence that I can play that club. I often find I'll have a death grip, which is very bad, and this occurs over several attempts until I become frustrated. At that point I club down to a long iron. (3 wood goes into "time out" for a week or two)

Once conditions improve, I'll build my confidence by only hitting them under better conditions and with a less chances of hitting it into areas which are not favorable.

Practice time on the range until I become confident may take several weeks or days.

• Like 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Similar to some other comments, dump the 3W in favor of a 5W/4W.  A lot of players, including myself, struggle to get enough swing speed for the modern 3W.  So even if I hit it well, it was not enough carry too much roll.  I hit my 5W just as far, if not further off the deck.  I may give up 5-10 off the tee, but well worth it.

FWIW my 5W is an adjustable Cobra model.  I have set to the lowest loft setting, so it's probably comparable to a traditional 4W.  Can't say how much this club decision has paid off for me.

10 hours ago, limbo said:

I like to play with a very fast swing. But when I start to lose it, I smooth it right out. 50% speed, slow and easy, just getting the rhythm timing/back. Then I build back up to full speed. The longer clubs are less forgiving of poor sequence and rushing the downswing to mash the ball will kill control/distance imo.

Yep, and if I'm worried about my 4Wood, or even if I'm not, I make a point of making the full swing.  I want to deliberately know I finished the backswing before I move forward.  Yes, there are still bad shots, but they're much better than the bad shots where I didn't finish the backswing. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My Cobra 3W and 5W are my go to clubs, they have to be because I only drive the ball like 210. For some crazy reason, and don't ask me why, I have always been able to hit fairway woods really well. I see a lot of my buddies struggle with these clubs and I have noted a few things. On my backswing I slide the club back across the top of the grass about 4 inches, I want to hear it. I see most guys pick the club up off the grass. I don't look to crush the ball, I go more for a smooth tempo and let the club do it's job. Most guys I see swing out of their socks. I pick a spot on the back of the ball and stare at it not letting my head lift or lower during my swing. I don't know what my friends do but I have seen them actually miss the ball or hit six inches behind it. Set up for me is straight forward, ball just forward of the middle of my stance. I know when I'm in the rough I think about "digging the ball out" to make sure I don't top it. I'm not sure that alters my swing but it is something that goes through my head.

Gonna dump my ping 5W for a new M6 U3. Never hit it consistently so I will try something new. With my swing is getting more consistently I Will go a little bit more aggressive on drivable par 5 from now on. 

In the end, you're lifting the ball. You must trust the loft. I see it all the time anyhow, people lift the ball. Backspin on the ball makes the ball rise, you don't need to make it do so. Trust the loft. And if your driver swing speed is under 90 mph, I wouldn't even bother with a 3 wood, as it needs speed to carry. Get a 5 wood if that's the case.

+1 for a 4W. A little bit of distance sacrificed for a lot more hit-ability for me.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

+1 for a 4W. A little bit of distance sacrificed for a lot more hit-ability for me.

Depending on your swing speed, there's a chance you aren't losing distance compared to a 3W with a 4W.  When I got fit for mine, I was initially going to get a 3W, and the Titleist rep convinced me to try a 4W and, at least on their launch monitor, I was hitting the 4W further than the 3W.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The 3 wood is a club I hit well.  Actually might be the club I hit the best.  For me it feels like the perfect length and weight balance to fit my swing and setup.  

If you find yourself topping the ball, pulling/hooking when hitting off the deck I can tell you what I do. 

1.  I find it especially important to keep your width throughout the swing so there is a sweeping motion.  I think big arc, lead arm stays relatively straight, at least don't let it break down, collapse so to speak during transition or the downswing.

2.  I actually feel my head moving downwards during transition.  Or think of that squat move that lowers your body slightly.  Might feel as if you are going to hit it fat but it is the move I find that keeps from topping the ball because after all, you tee up the driver and the woods off the tee block the most, so you obviously have to have a different feel when hitting off the deck.

3.  No need to try and swing out of your shoes.  The 3 wood is a long club and keeping a big arc will provide the swing speed.  If it's not enough, know your distance and lay up the best you can.

Note:  I wouldn't recommend looking for an alternative club.  I sucked at the 3 wood before I spent the time at the range to figure it out and put in enough reps to get comfortable with it.

Edited by Keep It Simple
Typo's
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

I’m the opposite of the OP.  I hit my 3w well off the deck but I do not like hitting it off the tee.  I usually catch it too low off the tee even though I tee it very low.   Off the deck, I aim in front of the ball, but I can’t find a good aiming point off the tee.  When faced with a tee shot that’s less than 250, I default the my 2i or 3i.

I am a fairly weak golfer but 3 wood off the tee and deck is probably my best club. I find choosing when to use it vs an iron is important to take into consideration as well. I avoid using it if the ball is in deep rough or on dry hard fairway on the dirt where there is no grass. I tend to put the ball slightly behind me to ensure I hit the ball before the ground.I have my hands in front of me and angle the glub back to the ball, this way I make sure not to flip my wrists at time of contact, instead pulling through the ball I lead the swing with my left hand to keep the right hand from attemping to add power at the last minute and opening up the club or redirecting it's swing path. I always press the head of the club into the ground about 3-4 inches behing the ball so I can really see the true height of the lie and to make sure it is not on the dirt. 

As I have mentioned, this is what works for me off the deck. It may be completely wrong but it also may be worth a try if nothing else is working.

• Like 1

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

11 hours ago, topoftheline89 said:

I always press the head of the club into the ground about 3-4 inches behing the ball

That sounds dangerously close to improving your lie...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That sounds dangerously close to improving your lie...

In reality it's probaby more like 5-8 inches behind the ball now that I think of it. I'm always extra careful not to disturb or improve the lie.

Edited by topoftheline89

WITB:

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

10 hours ago, topoftheline89 said:

In reality it's probaby more like 5-8 inches behind the ball now that I think of it. I'm always extra careful not to disturb or improve the lie.

You're improving the area of your intended swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

23 minutes ago, billchao said:

You're improving the area of your intended swing.

I am new to golf so I don't know the finer points of this, thanks for the info. If was to land 3 inches in front of a stick that had fallen from a tree, would it be improving the swing path to move the fallen stick which shouldn't be on the course in the first place?

Just now, topoftheline89 said:

I am new to golf so I don't know the finer points of this, thanks for the info. If was to land 3 inches in front of a stick that had fallen from a tree, would it be improving the swing path to move the fallen stick which shouldn't be on the course in the first place? Also, by pressing my club into the ground say 8 inches closer to me then the ball is, I could judge the lie and not affect swing path at all so maybe that is what I will do.

WITB:

11 minutes ago, Kevlar10 said:

Improving your lie?  If it's not in a sand trap, you can ground your club

It’s not grounding the club. He clearly stated he presses the club into the ground. And you can ground your club in a sand trap btw.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!