IGNORED

Torn Bicep

Elmer
Note: This thread is 1021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 8/31 I ruptured my bicep tendon on my left arm. I am right handed and swing right handed . 
I had surgery on 9/5. I have six weeks to go in a sling followed by three months of rehab and I hope to begin swinging again in April.
The kicker and all this is I had just dialed in my swing was finally hitting the ball well and my last round shot 10 over par over par.
I felt I was in the heading in the right direction and then I had the accident.

I’m looking for any type of feedback from anyone else who has ever had this occur, or has any advice.
How did this affect your golf swing did you have to ease up your swing a little ? did you use any braces , wraps or a compression sleeve? 
 Any advice would be appreciated.

(Please excuse any errors as this was typed with only one hand.)

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Walk it off.

😋

giphy.gif

• Like 1

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

My playing partner had this happen 2 weeks before our M/M. He was no more than 4 months from surgery to playing 100%. Tell your ortho to give you the “rookie of the year” surgery and you will be blasting drives 450 yards. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ouch.   I don’t have any advice for you, but hope to hear that you’re well and playing again soon!  :beer:

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

17 hours ago, upndown21 said:

My playing partner had this happen 2 weeks before our M/M. He was no more than 4 months from surgery to playing 100%. Tell your ortho to give you the “rookie of the year” surgery and you will be blasting drives 450 yards. 

I already asked the medical staff if they could let the mri machine leak radiation and give me super powers. they were not amused.

I had the operation and week 1 of 4 in the sling is in the books.

my hope is that once healed i will have 2 positives:"
1- my inactivity will spark a drive to be more active once healed. cant wait to stretch and lift something
2- once ful healed i will swing smoothly and lightly to protect my repaired tendon. this will be a bit different than my usual "hit the cover off the ball swing"

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

@Elmer How did you do that... playing golf? From you post it seems as though it was not a golf course injury, so you may not have to do anything on your return. Your left bicep is not exactly a dominant muscle on a right handed golf swing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

@Elmer How did you do that... playing golf? From you post it seems as though it was not a golf course injury, so you may not have to do anything on your return. Your left bicep is not exactly a dominant muscle on a right handed golf swing.

Was lifting an appliance on to a pick up truck. didnt have good grip, tendon tightened and popped midway thru lift,  couldnt drop appliance had to secure with good arm.

according to dr, could get by without reattaching tendon. however you need the tendon for rolling wrists over (screw driving motion). both PA & DR upon hearing I golf said "you want surgery".

torn tendons have a 4 week window for repair, after that the tendon becomes to rigid to fix.

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I had my one of my right bicep tendon severed during a surgery back in 2010 and they failed to reattach it.  Dont remember off the top of my head if was the minor or major but it really hasn't affected me that much.  I've just started playing but the instructor I've taken lessons from didn't see anything with my swing that could be traced back to that.  

Hope you recover soon!

• Like 1

I had a 95% bicep tear in December 2018 and I’m not gonna lie, it was no fun lol. It was 3 months before I felt good enough to swing at all (against doctors orders) but I started out really slow. I would toss a wedge and a putter in my son’s bag and would chip & putt a bit, no full swings just short chips around the green. I did that for about two months, slowly taking more full wedge shots and then moving further out. All in all it took 5 months before I felt comfortable enough to resume regular playing.

Unsolicited advice: Do your rehab, and if you feel something uncomfortable while your working your way back, Stop! A slight twinge early Can become painful later.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

5 hours ago, Elmer said:

Was lifting an appliance on to a pick up truck. didnt have good grip, tendon tightened and popped midway thru lift,  couldnt drop appliance had to secure with good arm.

according to dr, could get by without reattaching tendon. however you need the tendon for rolling wrists over (screw driving motion). both PA & DR upon hearing I golf said "you want surgery".

OUCH!!!!

So you didn't need surgery unless at some point in your life you might need to screw in a light bulb?! Sounds like a no brainer to me. Godspeed on your healing!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Best case scenario, don't come back too soon. Been there, done that I have.

Screwed up a prior surgery, which required a surgery to repair the previous surgery. A few weeks turned into a few months of rehab. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 5 months later...

4 months of Rehab is complete!
I am now going to the gym 3 times a week, cardio and weights. The weights are slowly being bumped up, 7lbs to 10 and so forth. Nothing too heavy, not looking to bulk or complete in a strongman competition, just looking to get back to normal.
Have to say I feel good, yet my limbs are just tired. but this is a good thing.

Unfortunately, all this work and effort has resulted in a nasty case of tennis elbow on my opposite arm. But I can deal with this. To avoid a regiment of NSIADs, I have been ingesting fish oils and using a lot of black pepper & Eucalyptus oil on the muscles,  seems to work to cut down inflammation.

I have started swinging lightly, and slowly in the garage. I used a weighted club on a card board mat. I am going to have to change my swing a bit, no more over swinging, with the brutish strength of 10 men!

• Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

On 9/11/2019 at 4:49 PM, upndown21 said:

Tell your ortho to give you the “rookie of the year” surgery and you will be blasting drives 450 yards. 

De he just say "funky butt lovin?"

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

9 hours ago, Elmer said:

4 months of Rehab is complete!...I have started swinging lightly, and slowly in the garage. I used a weighted club on a card board mat...

Welcome back to golf.  Sounds like you are doing the right things.  Keep it up.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

• 1 year later...

The Sand Trap comes though with relevant information again!

I am pretty sure I tore my right distal bicep tendon last Wednesday while playing. Hitting a 56 degree wedge in heavy rough and right as I contacted the ball I felt a very bad and sharp pain in my arm starting at the inside elbow area. Saw the ortho guy today and he is pretty sure that it is torn. MRI scheduled to confirm.

I am trying not to be depressed that I won't be playing golf for probably 3-4 months. My wife told me I can still go to the club and hope for a free hole in one drink. Oh well, the wings are pretty good too.

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

40 minutes ago, ssbn611 said:

The Sand Trap comes though with relevant information again!

I am pretty sure I tore my right distal bicep tendon last Wednesday while playing. Hitting a 56 degree wedge in heavy rough and right as I contacted the ball I felt a very bad and sharp pain in my arm starting at the inside elbow area. Saw the ortho guy today and he is pretty sure that it is torn. MRI scheduled to confirm.

I am trying not to be depressed that I won't be playing golf for probably 3-4 months. My wife told me I can still go to the club and hope for a free hole in one drink. Oh well, the wings are pretty good too.

sorry to hear about your injury.   Hoping for the best

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!