IGNORED

Combine PGA and LPGA Tour Events?

Braivo
Note: This thread is 1492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

Problems I see.. The course will be overwhelmed on monday. There´s no wednesday pro-am event. 

B Plan.. 
Find a complex with 2 golf courses and split fields.. 50% on each course of PGA tour players and 50% LPGA tour players. Each player plays 18 holes on each course and after the cut, all of them plays on saturday on course A and on Sunday on course B.

Problem I see...

No point because noone  wants to see it. There is no reason to do it.

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Upvote 1

I was at the local "Shriners" pga tourney in Vegas a few days ago. I was talking with a friend who is also one of the many organizers/sponsors involved in this tournament. 

Nothing substantial, but some low rumblings about making this fall tour stop a coed event. 

Some organizers/sponsors feel this tournament could use a kick in the butt. Bringing the lpga back to town in a coed format is one of the ideas being looked at. 

If it were to happen, (not likely) my guess is it's several years away from happening. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/16/2019 at 3:02 PM, Vinsk said:

After the cut there  won’t be any LPGA players left.

They only share the course, boys compete agaist boys and girls against girls.
The idea is to put them all together in the same course so LPGA tournamts gets a little more audience and maybe in the future get more popular.

2 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

The idea is to put them all together in the same course so LPGA tournamts gets a little more audience and maybe in the future get more popular.

Ah...well...the LPGA players may have some issues with the greens no? Pin placements? I think it’d be fine and I’d like to watch it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

So, force me to watch something I don’t want to, in order to watch something that I do?

All that’ll do is reduce the amount of time I spend watching golf at all.  Bad television shows get canceled every day for lack of viewership. If the LPGA tour falls into that category, well that’s just too bad.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

30 minutes ago, David in FL said:

So, force me to watch something I don’t want to, in order to watch something that I do?

All that’ll do is reduce the amount of time I spend watching golf at all.  Bad television shows get canceled every day for lack of viewership. If the LPGA tour falls into that category, well that’s just too bad.  

Unfortunately David there are those of the opinion that if you don’t find the LPGA, or any other women’s sport for that matter, exhilarating then you’re sexist. 

It’s of course nonsense. Simone Biles is the greatest gymnast of all time. I much prefer to watch women’s gymnastics in the Olympics than the men’s. I also enjoy tennis just as much for both. LPGA and WNBA I much prefer the men’s. And that’s completely fine.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 hours ago, David in FL said:

No they wouldn´t, that´s why i said morning tee time for LPGA players and afternoon for PGA players.
Maybe you just go early to get a good spot on 18th hole while you see the ladies end their rounds, or tune the LPGA broadcast the check out course condition.. pin placements in advance... you name it.

13 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

No they wouldn´t, that´s why i said morning tee time for LPGA players and afternoon for PGA players.
Maybe you just go early to get a good spot on 18th hole while you see the ladies end their rounds, or tune the LPGA broadcast the check out course condition.. pin placements in advance... you name it.

I get what you’re saying, I do. But I also get what @David in FL is saying. In one idea it’s ‘ to get them on one course to get more audience’ well..that’s forced. If you’re saying it’s not and there is just an option to watch the LPGA players...well..that already exists and it’s not going as they’d like it too.  

They can’t just make people like their sport more by trying to guilt the public or force them to watch it. Maybe it’s unfair but just because they feel they’re every bit as talented and exciting to watch doesn’t mean they are. 

I just looked at sports tv 2019 ratings. Golf is listed at #7, between #6 tennis, and #8 The WWE.

The majority of that #7 rating, per the article, was centered around the pga. Not much was mentioned about lpga. The article did say that since Tiger's fall from competitive value, that golf's tv ratings continue to gradually fall. 

So, if the pga ratings are seemingly low, compared to other sports, the lpga is going to have a much tougher time carving out their own niche in viewership. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 3 months later...

The European Tour, the Ladies European Tour, and the LPGA will be playing a combined event this week in Australia. Men and women playing the same course at the same time for equal prize money. Bold below is my highlight.

With the marketing message: “Men and women. On the same course. At the same time. For equal prize money,” the ISPS Handa is unique in the game: men and women competing on the same course at the same time in alternating groups with two winners.

Each starts with a field of 144 that is cut to 60 after two rounds and to 35 after 54 holes. Last year, Celine Boutier of France and David Law of Scotland took home the winner’s share from the equal $1.5 million purses.

vicopencolumn_1128618271_2000x1125.jpg

When the Women’s Victoria Open returned to Australian Ladies Professional Golf in 2012 after a 20-year absence, it was with a twist that gave competit...

- Mark

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Braivo said:

The European Tour, the Ladies European Tour, and the LPGA will be playing a combined event this week in Australia. Men and women playing the same course at the same time for equal prize money. Bold below is my highlight.

So yeah:

1. The European Tour, not the PGA Tour.
  2. Two courses are used for the 144/288 players.

At this point, it's still just a gimmick. I support the LPGA as much as anyone, and have a daughter that plays at a very high level, but I'm also simply making the practical argument I've always made.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

So yeah:

1. The European Tour, not the PGA Tour.
  2. Two courses are used for the 144/288 players.

At this point, it's still just a gimmick. I support the LPGA as much as anyone, and have a daughter that plays at a very high level, but I'm also simply making the practical argument I've always made.

The European Tour is definitely more innovative than the PGA Tour, and they are willing to try new things to spruce up otherwise boring events that don't attract a good field. I give them credit for trying to add interest. 

I don't see a problem with using two courses. The PGA Tour is using three courses this week at Pebble Beach. 

I am intrigued to see men and women play the same course on the same day with same pin positions, etc.

Maybe just a novelty, but I don't hate it. And it could help the economics of otherwise small events. Maybe. 

- Mark

Entertainment choices is not something you can force on people. 
People want to watch what they want to.  I dunno, maybe get the ladies playing like the men and it'll even up.

I think the equal pay thing is almost impossible. Men's golf has a bigger draw, bigger purses, TV and so forth. I enjoy watching the LPGA, nice looking ladies in short skirts playing golf, whats not to like. But, even from an "eye candy" point of view, the men have a bigger draw and its like that in most sports. When was the last time you watched a women's pro basketball game? Having them play an event at the same time/ venue I just don't see it happening for the reasons already mentioned in previous posts. I think the LPGA has some awesome talent and they have the right to be on TV and all, its just the nature of sports in the USA.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

On 10/21/2019 at 2:58 PM, p1n9183 said:

On 10/21/2019 at 5:13 PM, Vinsk said:

Ah...well...the LPGA players may have some issues with the greens no? Pin placements? I think it’d be fine and I’d like to watch it.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:58 PM, David in FL said:

I have to agree with David in FL here. What's the point of it? PC, gender equity BS? So we can watch male pros hit drives miles past their female counterparts? Hit closer to the pins? Putt better? What's the point? 

And don't get me wrong, I like women's golf. If it's on TV, i'll watch. I go walk the course every year for the Youngstown State U's Invitational every September. Some of those ladies can really play! Much better than I can. Just not at the same level as Tour pros, or the guys on the university's men's team! 

Anybody besides me remember the "Battle at Bighorn", where Tiger and Annika played David Duval and, if I remember correctly, Carrie Webb? On the first hole Tiger and Annika are on in regulation, but behind and above the hole! Annika proceeds to putt it right off the front of the green! Obviously not acquainted with PGA type green speeds. Tiger hits a skip and check shot up close, Annika nudges it toward the hole and Tiger taps it in. As they walk to the second tee, Tiger says to Annika, unaware that their mics are still hot, "Wow! Did we hack the shit out of that hole, or what?!"

Edited by Buckeyebowman

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 1492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!