IGNORED

How Many Wedges Do You Carry?

How many wedges do you carry?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges do you carry?

• 0 - What's a wedge?
    • 1 - I have my trusty Niblick and that's all I need.
    • 2 - Doesn't matter which two, but you'd think it would be PW and SW
    • 3 - Very common set up through the 80's and 90's.
    • 4 - Its good to have options
    • 5 - More options or is it because your PW is so delofted you had to stick in another gap wedge?
    • 6 or more - If you answer this, you'd better explain why.

I yank my 3i out of the bag and go with a 47deg PW, 52, 56, 60.

I have 4 wedges because of my yardages.  I play my 47deg PW 140 and my 56deg 110-100  The 52 sits inbetween those two clubs nicely at 125 yards.  My 60 deg is used primarily out of the sand.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Yep I carry a 47° PW then a 52° GW, 56° SW and a 60° LW.

Seems to work for me....I never have a shot under 100 yards I can't figure out with them.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Not sure what is so difficult to " understand" it is just personal preference. You prefer to carry 3 wedges some people, myself included like to carry 4. My iron set came with a 45* PW & 50* AW I added a 56* SW and a 60* LW Had my set come with a 47* PW I would probably only play 3 wedges also, but I do like the yardage gap my PW and AW offer and since that is what I have, that is what I play.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

My set's PW is also 45*, so I added a 50* along with the 56* and 60*. I find I am much better inside 120 yds having all these options.

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

The way I look at my set is this:

Driver (self explanatory...get it off the tee, average around 280)

3W (rarely off the deck, used when my driver doesn't agree with me, usually good for 240ish off the tee)

3hy (230 off the deck regularly....there's rarely a par 4 that I can't hit in 2 with this club which is all I strive for)

4i (215-220ish, usually very solid....I prefer this out of the rough vs my hybrid most days)

5i (205)

6i (190)

7i (175)

8i (155)

9i (135)

47° PW (120)

52° GW (105)

56° SW (80)

60° LW (60)

Now this set obviously would be different if my swing speed was lower and I needed another wood or hybrid in the bag. For now I figure most of my courses are under 7,000 yards and I really like having all those options under 100 yards where I can take full swings instead of getting too creative around the bunkers. GG does a wedge gapping analysis which is this type of thing for your set.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I carry a 4 wedge setup, 48*, 52*, 56* and 60*. I like it because it has the same 4* loft gap that I have throughout my iron set. The 48* is part of my iron set and I use it for mostly full shots, sometimes for short chips and bump and run. The 52* is used half the time for full shots and is what I do most of my chipping with (provided there is a good amount of green to work with). The 56* is what I use out of bunkers, and some chips. And, the 60* is for flop shots and chips where I don't have alot of green to work with. It works out pretty well and I have all situations covered. If I were to run 3 wedges, it would most likely be 48*, 54*, 60*.

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

when i switched to my current irons the 45PW  was a pretty big gap to my 52 vokey. i never used a 5w or 2h so i was only bagging 13 clubs anyways and the AP1s came with a 50 gap. so i had the local shop bend the em to

PW 45 (stock)

GW 50 to 49

Vokey 52 to 53

Vokey 56 to 57

it gives me more confidence knowing i can have pretty much a full swing to carry anything in the 85-125 range on the short par 4's or laying up on the 5's. of course it adds another demension to your short game which i'm still in the process of learning lol

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

This past summer I switched from having PW(46º), 52º, 56º, and a 62º to just the PW, 52º and a 58º sand wedge.  I use the 58º for most of my short shots around the green.  I found that it helped my game to have fewer options.  It feels like I have fewer options but that I can hit them more consistently.

Went from four wedge (47, 50, 54, 60) to three (47, 52, 58) about a month ago and I love it. Less options, less confusion I think. Also love having both 4iron (penetrating, lower ball flight) and 4 hybrid (higher ball flight, stops on any green and great option off the tee) in the bag now.

What's in my Eagles & Birdies Bag:
taylormade.gif R9 SuperTri Stiff 10.5˚
mizuno.gif MX-700 15˚ 3W Stiff
mizuno.gif MX-700 20˚ & 23˚ Hybrid Stiff
mizuno.gif MP 52 4-PW Nippon 950 Stiffmizuno.gif MP - T 10 52˚/07˚ & 58˚/10˚ping.gif Redwood Anser 34"titleist.gif Pro V1x FJD   

I just bought three Miura wedges from Chip Usher of Usher Golf in Savannah,Georgia.

He had everything in stock and will ship Monday with overnight delivery. That is what sealed the deal. I live in NC, but work out of state and will be home for 5 days around Christmas. Playing some golf with my dad and having these wedges in hand so soon made it hard to resist. I went with my old setup and had the Nippon NS blue shafts installed. The new Miura wedges are 52.7, 56.9, and 60.7. Being that I just started breaking 90 consistently I am not sure I can justify spending $550 on three wedges, but I am excited to find out for myself if these wedges will help my game. Thanks for all the input here. I appreciate it.

-Dan

Originally Posted by Danattherock

I just bought three Miura wedges from Chip Usher of Usher Golf in Savannah,Georgia.

picscosucker.jpg

The fitter I went to here the other day had a couple of the Miura C-Grind wedge heads on his desk as paperweights. So shiny. So sweet. Thought idly about trying to pocket one casually on the way out the door. Resisted.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I only carry one wedge in addition to my iron set pw's.  I haven't thought of changing it but have thought of sending to Scratch to have one made as close to it as possible but with modern finish and grooves.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Wet Doggg

I have never understood why people carry so many wedges. I carry a 54 and a 60. My PW is a 47. But I only use my PW from 120 - 130. The 54 and my 60 are the "inside of 110 yard scoring clubs". I can hit any shot needed with those two clubs depending on grip, ball placement, swing plane, face, etc. Most people I give advice to I recommend this setup and it is has to due with how much time most of us have to practice. Why not only have to dial in two clubs instead of three or even four? Good luck with your decision.

I agree with some of what you are saying but you also have to keep in mind that people carry 4 wedges for personal preferences OR to handle distance gaps.  For me with a 145-140 PW and a 110-100 yard 56deg, I have 40 -35 yards to cover inbetween those two clubs and my preference is the have a "full swing club" at 125 yards with my 52 deg vs. trying to accurately gauge that distance with my PW.  The real beauty though is that I can choke down my 52 and hit it 120-110 and can do the same with my PW, choke it down to 140-125.  So technically, I have ALL of my distances covered from 140 yards in.  Anyting less that 100 yards is straight feel and I use my 56 in those particular situations.  My 60 is pretty much only used out of the sand or if I need to execute a high flop shot.  Plus, with my 3i yanked out of the bag because I hit my 4i 220, I don't lose out on anything.

For those who hit their PW a different distance, say, 125 yards, then the need for a true gap wedge isn't really necessary.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Danattherock

He had everything in stock and will ship Monday with overnight delivery. That is what sealed the deal. I live in NC, but work out of state and will be home for 5 days around Christmas. Playing some golf with my dad and having these wedges in hand so soon made it hard to resist. I went with my old setup and had the Nippon NS blue shafts installed. The new Miura wedges are 52.7, 56.9, and 60.7. Being that I just started breaking 90 consistently I am not sure I can justify spending $550 on three wedges, but I am excited to find out for myself if these wedges will help my game. Thanks for all the input here. I appreciate it.

-Dan

wow...thats a lot to spend on 3 wedges...my irons and wedges didnt cost that!! hahaha!

but hey, if you got the dough, all the power to you...i would certainly do the same

im sure they will be great additions to your bag! CONGRATS!

pics, pics, pics!!!!!!!!

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Some of you that carry 4 and 5 wedges (counting PW) must hit your irons insanely far, or must have given up on going at par 5's in 2 and long par 4's in regulation...

I shoot in the low 70's pretty regular now, and I can' t dream of not carrying something like a low-lofted hybrid (which I do carry) or a 4/5 wood. I drive it consistently out past 275. Etc. I don't struggle for distance.

It'd be cool to carry an extra wedge. My dream wedge setup would be (my PW from my set is 47) 47-52-57-62. Can't do that because I can't sacrifice the distance gap between my 3 iron and 3 wood, plus, if you hit a bad shot into the rough the hybrid is SUPER helpful in getting at a green that I can't get at with a mid or long iron out of the cabbage.

Instead, my wedge setup is 47-54-60. I still can hit all the shots. Hell, I just worked on hitting long, high cut lobs with my 54 last night and think it's going to be a big improvement over when I carried a 56. I dunno...giving up a 'distance club' baffles me.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

had a 47, 52, 56, 60 for a few years.  Last year, went to 47 (set PW), 51.06, 58.10 and I seem to be able to cover all of my yardages very well.  58 goes up to 85 yds, 51 is around 100-110 yds, and 47 is around 120 yds.  My 51 and 58 are the Mizon MP-T with a C-grind which I absolutely, absolutely love!  Best wedges I have ever hit.  Going from 4 to 3 wedges allowed me to add my 7W to the bag which I have found useful.  If I could somehow convince myself to drop my 3 iron, I would POSSIBLY consider throwing in a high bounce 56 bent to a 55.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black