iacas

What Are Your 2020 Golf Goals?

149 posts / 20374 viewsLast Reply

As it is always my goal every year for golf... Consistency in shooting near my H.I.! 

I am sick and tired of shooting high 70's and then backing that up with shooting high 80's and even low to mid 90's.  I want to shoot near 70/80 border all the time.  But my goal has already been thrown out the window.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Little late coming in here, but wanted to throw my two cents in. 

1) Get my index below 11. I just started GHIN about 2 months ago and I've been playing unusually good golf by my standards so I feel like it's artificially low at the moment sitting at 11.3, so I'm going to stick with that. I'll hope to achieve that by playing at least twice a week and limiting the drinking on the course (amazing how much that helps). 

2) Improve GIR % to >35%. It's currently sitting around a pitiful 25%. My short game saves me, but I lose a lot of shots and certainly don't gain any by missing so many greens. I'll achieve this by working on better course management as I need to position myself off the tee better and not try to bomb driver down tight fairways. Hard to get GIR when you're hitting behind a tree on your second shot. 

I realize this is the 2020 Goal page but in Michigan the golf season winds down in October, depending on weather, and I am thinking about my 2021 goals.  One goal I was looking at was to improve by Driving Accuracy/Fairways Hit.  So far in 2020 I have it @ 33% of fairways with 35% right & 33% left.  I was thinking about a goal of 60% Fairways Hit but then looked on-line and saw that many Tour-pros have percentages below 60%. 

I understand they are hitting from the tips and may have much narrower fairways in many cases but am I being too aggressive in thinking I should try to get to 60%?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would love to have consistent ball striking.  I am new to playing golf but have followed the game all my life.  At this stage of my game I can't always hit the ball.  Lessons and lots of practice are what I need.  At 44 my swing speed barely averages 70-80.  I'll get there though eventually just got to keep going.

My handicap is roughly at 18. 10 years ago at the lowest point it was 13. I took 4 years off and just started to play again 2 months ago. I started golf in 2000 without any lesson and I have many issues including backswing too flat, too much movement in right knee, bad weight shift, flipping at impact.

I am taking lessons and finished the 3rd out of 8 lessons series. My goals are:

1) Hit the ball more solidly - currently I top the ball or hit it fat 4 to 6 times in a round which cost me 5 to 8 strokes. Not counting all of the pushes, hooks and slices.

i) Proper weight shift at the start of backswing

ii) More steep backswing with left shoulder pointing at ball

iii) Bow wrist at top of backswing

iv) Less arm and more hip swing

2) Become single digit handicap in 1 year

i) Better putting

ii) Better chipping

iii) Aim at center of the green, safe side of green and not aiming at flags 

iv) Slow down on the course, have a pre shot routine

v) Listening to golf hypnosis at sleep - to be loose when playing - I am too tense right now

I will continue to take lessons until I get close to single digit handicap. My guess is 8 lesson series is probably not enough. I may take another 8 lesson series after this.

Edited by khalespace