IGNORED

Recap Your 2020 Goals

iacas
Note: This thread is 1093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

With the year coming to a close, it's time for our yearly self-assessment thread. Here's how this will work... 

Quote your post from the 2020 Golf Goals topic right here in this topic, then write something below your quoted post to let everyone know how you did!

For deep dives into your goals, consider cross-posting (linking to your post here) in your Member Swing topic.

P.S. To quote your post from another topic, you can do one of two things:

1. Quote it, select the whole quote "box" (with the little + sign in the top left corner), copy it, and paste it into the reply box here.
  2. Click the "+ Multi" button on your post in that topic, reload this topic, and quote it directly into a reply here by clicking the "Quote 1 Post" button/overlay that should appear.

The latter is the easier method, and the former won't work very well on tablets or smart phones.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned and featured this topic
On 11/25/2019 at 12:48 PM, phillyk said:
  1.  Qualify to at least sectionals in US Open
    1. Most of the regional qualifiers I've played in, the cut has been between -2 and even;  that is definitely something I can manage to do
    2. I always work on full swing, but short game needs to be more on point than in the past
    3. Continue with mental approach (basically trying to be happy and enjoy the round, don't get upset by anything)
  2.  Lower handicap to +2.5 and keep it there
    1. Full swing is usually good, get 11-14GIR a round; partial wedges and putts inside 15ft need to be better
  3.  Place top 5 in the pro ams I play in
    1. It's easy to lose focus in these events, just need to take the round more seriously

Well covid killed the US Open qualifiers. Not sure when I’ll next have a chance to do it again, with a new job. Handicap has hovered at +2ish for the most part, so didn’t quite get that one. Of the pro ams that did occur I placed top 5 in half of them, which again didn’t meet the goal, but the performance is better than previous years. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

this is first few lines of my 2020 goals; can't seem to do it properly (I didn't see any little plus sign but I did copy and paste) 

My goals are to improve score through more time on the course.  I hope to play more and different local courses, and this will mean either solo or pick up some partners from the past.  I've been trying to hook up with these good ole friends from last century and only been able to a couple times.

2020 goals were to spend more time on the course.  I feel that will bring down my score avg and increase enjoyment.  My playing partner (that brought me back to the game) cannot play as much as I need so I started playing at least one round a week by myself to get on-course practice.  After a while, that gets a little old but still good for my game; I might hit a shot twice, mostly second shots.  I also finally hooked up with golf buddies from way past and now play on several of the really nice courses with old friends.

This added time on course has improved my scores (and additionally added new specialized type clubs).  But last week, I was brought back down to earth as I actually could not finish a round (thru 12) due to my back problems returning; I had been getting 'uncomfortable' for a little while but denied the golf connection.  So I have been resting the last 2 weeks and now am pain-free again which tells me it's not the light work I have taken up but the golf.  

Seems I may have to be satisfied with certain limitations and re-set some goals but I'm not quitting; it has been such a pleasure getting out on a golf course like I do.  I really appreciate it nowaday and enjoy the whole picture.  My home course is in very much isolation from the world and sometime, I never cross another group, no houses, total quiet... (so different from some of the stories I've seen here)

I am still searching for a new used set of irons - with graphite shafts and other changes in club set-up designed to keep us ole farts in the game.  Arthritis is a b*tch.  

Edited by burr

On 12/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, Sean_D said:

In my third year of golfing,

• Lower index to <11
    • This high level goal will be achieved by achieving the lower level goals below.
  • Increase fairways hit to >50% (currently at 42%)
    • Working with my coach
    • Performing drills to improve face-to-path, optimize launch angles, increase swing speed
  • Increase GIR to >45% (currently at 28.52%)
    • Focus on ball striking with middle and long irons as my GIR numbers drop significantly at 150-200 yards out.
  • Increase Scramble (<50 yds.) percentage to >35% (currently at 26.6%)
    • Scramble drills at short game area
    • Learning to hit short game shots with different trajectories using clubs from my 9i - 60*.
  • Reduce 3-putts to <10%
    • Practice lag putting
  • Participate in at least five tournaments
    • Finish "In-The-Money" in at least one.
  • Repeat as champion of my Monday night league.
  • Repeat as top money winner of my Thursday night league
  • Complete 54-hole challenge on the summer solstice.

I track all my stats using Shot Scope. 

• Lower index to <11
    • Achieved. My current index is 9.6.
  • Increase fairways hit to >50% (currently at 42%)
    • Failed. My fairways hit is now 48%, but my P.Ave for distance went from 232 yds to 255 yds.
  • Increase GIR to >45% (currently at 28.52%)
    • Failed. My GIR for the season is 32%. Increased 3.48%
  • Increase Scramble (<50 yds.) percentage to >35% (currently at 26.6%)
    • Failed. My current Scramble % is 34%.Increased 7.4%.
  • Reduce 3-putts to <10%
    • Achieved. Current 3-putt percentage is 10%, but for most of the year it hovered in the high 9%. I have had a rash of three putts in recent rounds. Probably from hitting more greens and being further away from the hole.
  • Participate in at least five tournaments
    • Failed. I have played in 1 tournament this year. COVID killed this one. And I didn't finish in the money.
  • Repeat as champion of my Monday night league.
    • Achieved. Finished with most weekly points (and $) for finishes in the top three. Also won most improved award and my index went from 13 to 9.
  • Repeat as top money winner of my Thursday night league
    • Achieved. Mostly because I won most of the long-drive holes throughout the season. My partner and I also did very well in the weekly scoring.
  • Complete 54-hole challenge on the summer solstice.
    • Failed. Again, COVID. Golf courses got stupid crowded and expensive this summer. I was planning on completing this challenge at three courses located within about 8 miles of each other for about $125. This final cost would have been about $200 and the people who had agreed to participate with me backed out as well.

So I pretty much failed all my supporting goals, but achieved my main goal and my competitive goals. I guess my supporting goals were a little too lofty, although I improved in all of those areas. I would love to see what my index would have been had I achieved all of them.

All things considered. I am deeming this a successful season.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, klineka said:

I recently went over my stats from last year with my instructor and we came up with these as my main goals for 2020

1. Even par or better for 18 holes
    1. This will be the result of accomplishing the other goals I have outlined below (plus slight improvements to technique around putting (learning how to aim my putter properly and learning aimpoint) and short game)
  2. Improve proximity from 100-150 yds from 43' to <35'
    1. Continue to put in the work like I have done so far this winter with dialing in wedge distances and getting better at flighting wedge and short iron shots. 
    2. Aim for center of green when more than 100 yds out.
  3. Increase % of fairways hit with driver from 30% to 40%+
    1. Continue to work with my instructor and practice my priority pieces properly
    2. Main piece left with driver is getting the swing plane a bit shallower, I'm already seeing a reduction in "big misses" on Trackman
  4. Average 50% + GIR
    1. Continue to practice my priority pieces properly 
    2. Aim for the center of the green when more than 100 yds away
  1. Yup, got it on my last round of the season, although it was from the 1 up tees, so like 5,500 yds
  2. Proximity went from 43' to 38.4' so close, but not quite, although I was significantly better from August through December (34.4') than I was over the whole season 
  3. Yup, increased driving accuracy to 43.3%
  4. Yup, hit 57% of my GIR for the season

Overall I'd say it was a very successful season. I achieved 3 out of my 4 goals and improved quite a bit in the only goal I didn't achieve, and my handicap dropped from a 6.7 to a 2.8 this year. 

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

On 11/26/2019 at 11:47 PM, Bonvivant said:

I had no goals for 2019 as I was just picking the game back up after a pretty hefty hiatus. For 2020:

1. No penalty round.

2. This one is a 2 stage goal. HDCP below 15 by seasons end. If I am sub 15 by July, I would like to make this a sub 12 goal for the rest of the year.

3. Play more than 60 rounds.

4. No club purchasing.

5. Learn to accept that play will be slow, no matter how much I wish it wasn't so.

6. Take at least 1 golf trip.

1. Got it

2. not even close.

3. over 80 now

4.Almost but not quite.

5. Still improving but way better than I was.

6. TST trip in NY/PA

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, klineka said:

and my handicap dropped from a 6.7 to a 2.8 this year. 

wow, great job!  i'm hoping for something like that next season.  

• Upvote 1

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

On 11/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, Darkfrog said:
  1. Complete a round with 0 penalty strokes from lost ball / OB / penalty area. Came close a couple times in 2019, but not quite there yet.
  2. Improve handicap index to < 15. Currently sitting between 17-18, with a year of swing lessons starting to come together my scores and index are improving. I think dipping below 15 is reasonable.
    • Continue full swing lessons to improve driving / approach shots and get more GIR/nGIR
    • Get fitted for driver or driver shaft as needed based on swing characteristics
    • Achieve consistency in putting. Right now my putting performance can turn on a dime from good to awful. Frankly I've never spent much time with green reading methodology or honing my putting stroke because when I took golf less seriously, I was usually just putting out for double or triple bogey. I probably need to consider a green reading class like Aimpoint, and putter fitting, in addition to more practice time.
    • Achieve short game consistency. Similar to putting, some days I just have no touch inside 50 yards. I've had some lessons / tutorials on short game, but just don't practice putting often enough to make meaningful improvements.
  3. Eagle a par-5. Haven't eagled a par-5 in about 15 years, and this would be a morale boost to my game, as far as being able to string together quality shots with long clubs (driver/ fairway, driver/hybrid, driver/long iron).
  4. Get a hole in one. Why not?

1.  DONE! This was a carryover from my 2019 goals, but I ended up completing this one last year so I'm calling it done.

2.  DONE! My index is currently at 14.1, the lowest it has been, and my personal best score of 80 came off my card a couple weeks ago.

• Full swing: I take and will continue to take a full swing lesson around once a month.
  • Driver shaft: I ended up switching my driver shaft from a 55g S flex to heavier Sflex, and eventually got into a 75g X flex shaft. I can't say this has helped by driver dispersion at all, but at least I don't have equipment mismatched to my swing. I also switched my irons from pretty light R flex shafts to S400 tour issue, and X100 shafts (two different sets).
  • Putting: Had a lesson focused on putting in July and made some big improvements to bead and speed. No green reading technique other than some of the basics in LSW, and I still need to work on this. Getting fitter for a putter today.
  • Short game: The 30-day COVID-19 practice plan lessons on pitching and chipping immensely helped my short game. No longer a glaring weakness. It could be better, but now most of the time I have a short game shot, I don't leave myself another short game shot.

3.  PARTIALLY DONE! First off, my off the top of my head math sucks - my previous eagle was when I was around 19-21 years old, and I am about to turn 43, so it wasn't 15 years ago, more like 21-23 years. Didn't eagle a par-5 this year (had some chances, but never got the eagle putt to drop). I did eagle a par-4, so giving myself partial credit for the eagle goal. Still have a few more rounds this year for the par-5 eagle, so not off the table yet.

4.  NOPE. Best I can say is I got a couple par-3 tee shots inside 10 feet. But nothing close to a HIO. Still have a few rounds left for this one too.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 11/25/2019 at 5:16 PM, billchao said:

I only have one goal for this coming year:

• Single digit index.

Yea that didn’t happen. My season-ending handicap this year is slightly higher than it was last year.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I had posted a recap on the goal thread so this may be repeated some. I didn’t post goals this year so I don’t have anything to compare my year to but I did actually accomplish a lot in my game this season. 
1. Putting Improvement- I switched to a claw. All offseason I kept my putter in the bedroom and daily I would take a grip and stroke the putter across the wood floor keeping the putter online using the wood as a guide. Didn’t hit balls but I made thousands of putting strokes in the bedroom. I also switched from my Anser to a Craz-e. Really like the way the ball jumps off the face. Let’s me use a shorter stroke easier to keep online. I’ve made more birdies this year and at least part of that is due to my putting. It’s also due to hitting more GIR. 
2. hit more GIR. I accomplished this by doing 2 things. I dialed in my wedge game. I was very good from 100 yards in this year. Just hitting the green was never enough. I was putting wedge shots into the correct quadrant of the green. Closer proximity means shorter putts and more birdies. I also was more creative with my approach shots. I was very accurate from 180 in this year. I used more 3/4 shots and flighted the ball down at times when in the wind or simply because the 3/4 punch gave me a better yardage to the stick than a full shot would. I really focused on my distances this year and added 3/4 shots with virtually every club to my stock yardages along with full shots. All in all I rarely failed to hit 50% GIR in a round. Most rounds I hit 12-14. 
Had some hi lights this year to speak of. Multiple times I made double digit runs of bogey free holes. One day I started +5 through 3 then made pars from 4-16. Couple times made 8/9 pars or better on a side this year. 

Edited by Dunit507
Misspell

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

On 12/23/2019 at 11:00 PM, dagolfer18 said:

My goals for 2020 are:

1. I would love to break 40 at least three times for nine holes, at least one in my matches this season. However, I’ve come to a standstill in practice, so I need to get back on it. I haven’t come close to breaking 90 since October.

2. I would like to break 90 several more times, and break 85 once. Just once, and I’ll be happy. Again, I need to practice.

3. Going from about 50% makes from 5ft to at least 80%. That’s been my trouble lately, as I have been missing a bunch of 4- and 5-footers lately. To do this, twice a week, I will stay on the practice green for 30 mins just working on those short putts.

4. I want to play in our club’s annual Sat./Sun. Club Championship. This goal is self-explanatory, but I still need to practice. There are two men’s divisions, blue tee and white tee. The blue tee division usually has winning gross scores of around 155, the white tee around 170. I think if I practice hard enough, I can win the white tee division and have my name on the club’s snack bar and pro shop doors for a year.

5. Increase my drive accuracy from 50% to 70%. For this to happen, I should hit at least half a dozen drivers per range session, and they’ve gotta be within a 40-yard-wide range (about how wide our fairways are). 

And finally...

6. My current handicap is 18.6. I’m looking to bring that down to a 14 or lower. Will take lots of practice, but I think I can do it with hard work.

So, there you have it, my goals for 2020. My brother and I are playing tomorrow morning, so I’ve got a crack at starting goals 1 and 2!

Okay, so I think I did pretty well for this year. I achieved a good level of success in four out of my six goals:

1. I’ve shot a 39 twice in the past year, and a good number of 40s, which is good. So not quite three times, but my game is trending in the right direction.

2. I did indeed break 90 several times as y’all noticed in my posts. I also remember that the last sentence in one of my posts was, “Breaking 85 is coming.” In the next two weeks, I had shot rounds of 80 and 83, meaning I get a win with this one.

3. Nope. Not even close. My putting has improved a bit, but not where I set the bar with that goal. Putting is definitely gonna be one of my 2021 goals.

4. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to play in this tournament, because you have to be 18 to play. I’m 17 right now. That also means I won’t be able to play in it next summer, since my birthday isn’t till October.

5. I think I’ve achieved this, especially recently. I am slowly but surely getting rid of my wicked slice, which is giving me more yardage off the tee, and I’m happy with my progress.

6. This one is weird. Now, I said that I wanted to bring my handicap down to 14 or lower. The lowest it got was 14.1, but it only stayed there a few weeks. What’s weird about it is I said I wanted to get it there, but I never said anything about KEEPING it there. Guess I’ll be more specific in my 2021 goals. 

So there ya go! My 2021 goals are coming up.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

37 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Okay, so I think I did pretty well for this year. I achieved a good level of success in four out of my six goals:

1. I’ve shot a 39 twice in the past year, and a good number of 40s, which is good. So not quite three times, but my game is trending in the right direction.

2. I did indeed break 90 several times as y’all noticed in my posts. I also remember that the last sentence in one of my posts was, “Breaking 85 is coming.” In the next two weeks, I had shot rounds of 80 and 83, meaning I get a win with this one.

3. Nope. Not even close. My putting has improved a bit, but not where I set the bar with that goal. Putting is definitely gonna be one of my 2021 goals.

4. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to play in this tournament, because you have to be 18 to play. I’m 17 right now. That also means I won’t be able to play in it next summer, since my birthday isn’t till October.

5. I think I’ve achieved this, especially recently. I am slowly but surely getting rid of my wicked slice, which is giving me more yardage off the tee, and I’m happy with my progress.

6. This one is weird. Now, I said that I wanted to bring my handicap down to 14 or lower. The lowest it got was 14.1, but it only stayed there a few weeks. What’s weird about it is I said I wanted to get it there, but I never said anything about KEEPING it there. Guess I’ll be more specific in my 2021 goals. 

So there ya go! My 2021 goals are coming up.

No getting a big head here but I'm going to give you extra credit for well-composed and interesting posts.  Especially, and in particular, for being a 17 year old.  Were English and Composition your strong points the last few years in school?  

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

No getting a big head here but I'm going to give you extra credit for well-composed and interesting posts.  Especially, and in particular, for being a 17 year old.  Were English and Composition your strong points the last few years in school?  

Thanks for the compliment! English has always been one of my strongest suits, but I can’t seem to write any essays 😂.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

On 12/26/2019 at 7:30 AM, Greg 504 said:

2020 Golf goals

Break 100 and then stay in the 90's (hopefully break 90)consistently and minimize blow up holes. By breaking the first barrier, I feel it will boost my confidence immensely. With regular practice lately, I have made considerable progress with iron ball striking and am confident that progress would correlate well to a much lower score already on the course. I may be able to be under 100 already as my best card was 104 last year and I am striking the ball much more consistently now then I did then.

Play at least 2 rounds of golf per week from April to November (our typical season here). This will help with my course management and MY realistic on course expectations, not that of what a pro would be able to play/do with any particular shot I am facing. 

At least 2 disciplined, well thought out range sessions per week. I currently practice a significant amount on short to mid irons and wedges in an attempt to find my "swing groove" and improve overall ball striking. I also practice quite a bit of 30-120 yard shots and putting. I will incorporate sand time when the local range opens that part of the facility again. Implement more practice time with driver. Continue to putt at least 15 minutes a day inside during our "off season" to targets in the house from 20' and in. 

Average one professional lesson per month. Not just for the sake of it, but to work on overall game and whatever I may be having issues with that particular moment/month. This could certainly increase if problems really hinder progress and if I can monetarily swing it.

Begin to use driver with confidence. As stated above, I need to practice with the long stick more and certainly have an instructor work with me a lot with this club. At the moment, I lack confidence in my ability to hit this club. To be fair, I have not practiced much with driver and so am quite inconsistent with it. This is a big mental piece to my current game play that I think if I can start to get off the box consistently with even a 150-175 yard poke, it will really boost my mental game and have me on my way in the 90's consistently. 

Be healthy and continue to enjoy the game and camaraderie it provides with friends. 

1. Met - I broke 90 several times this season, with my best round being 85.

2. Met - I played 67 rounds of golf this season, even with almost 2 months off following open heart surgery. I'll even get some more rounds in before the end of the year going to visit mom in Florida.

3. Failed - I did not have lessons in September. October and November because of my surgery and preparation.

4. Met - I had a couple lessons that got me swinging driver. Prior to my lay off, I was averaging 210-220 per drive. My confidence with this club grew a ton and was a huge factor in lowering scores and HI.

5. Met - Despite surgery, I feel overall I was healthy and certainly enjoyed the game and the camaraderie it provided.

2020 was a great learning and progress season for me. I have kept an unofficial handicap solely to gauge my progress and hopefully keep me motivated. I started the season at 33.9 and ended at 15.9. I put in a lot of practice and played as frequently as I could and as much as my wife and daughter would tolerate. Obviously, this contributed well to my progress this year. As I progressed, I found I enjoyed the game much more and could even relax more on the course.

• Upvote 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

• 3 weeks later...

Back in May I posted:

This year is the first year of setting real goals: 

(1) Complete a round with no penalty strokes due to OB/LB.

(2) Shoot consistently better scores - aiming to break 90 consistently (last year was first full year of really trying to play, ended year shooting at 100 - which for me was major considering the scores I was putting up early 2019) (COVI-19 Practice Plan combinged w/LSW will be the tools for this to be achievable).  

(3) To build walking endurance to be able to walk at least 9-holes.  I want to see/play the game from other than the cart path.  

So how did I do: 

(1) Actually had two rounds where I did not have OB/LBitis.  

(2) Score was trending down - spent most of the latter part of the season in the 90's and lately moving north of 100.  Big news - broke 90 once, but once is not consistent.  This will be my goal again for '21.  

(3) Walk a lot more these days, with very little foot issues (dang motorcycle wreck that took all the toes on my left foot - makes lateral stability a pain).  I am thinking I may try walking 9 soon with a pusher cart on the local course. This is still a to be done goal.  

A good year, not great but good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 11/27/2019 at 11:43 AM, Konsta said:

My goals for 2020

Lower HCP from 8,6 to 2

Get on the Finnish Junior Tour (only best 50 junior players aged 8-21 in the region can attend them)

Make swing better

My HCP goal was 2. I managed to drop it down to 0,6 (almost scratch). Getting on the FJT showed to be harder than I thought (required basically a +2 HCP). I also got my swing better. 

On 12/4/2019 at 7:32 PM, saevel25 said:

Here are my 2020 goals. 

1. Continue to work on a swing that less based on timing
    1. Be less stuck in the golf downswing that results in a flip
    2. Keep the turn rates up to not let the clubhead overtake the hands
  2. Keep working on not overswinging
    1. It just needs to be part of my practice routine every time I work on my full swing. 
  3. Continue to work on my short game.
    1. Review and work on good pitching and chipping fundamentals. 
    2. Spend more time working on shots I expect to see during a round. 
  4. Play in 4 tournaments in 2020. 
    1. Just be committed to this goal. 

1. Gotten a tad better. The swing feel of feeling more hip turn in the backswing, and swinging left more is helping out. 
2. Iron Swings are much better. Driver is not 😛
3. Short game was better this year. Just need to continue to keep it sharp. It can lapse. 
4. Well, some circumstances came up 😛.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 3/3/2020 at 6:40 PM, bweiss711 said:

Main goal for this year is to get to an 18 index.

The biggest way I plan to achieve this is to actually work on my game, instead of simply going to the course every now and then to smack the ball around.  In order to work on my game, I'm going to have to make an effort to make time for practice as well as regular tee times.  Practice needs to be specific and focused.  The basis for my practice will be Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons as well as active participation in a member swings thread here.

Goal achieved! Finished the year with a 17.2 index. Very happy with that.  Was a 24.5 coming into the year.

As for some of the details, I definitely practiced more, completed the 5 minutes daily practice challenge, started a swing thread, and played more golf than I ever have before.  Could still stand to improve upon the "specific and focused" part, however.

All in all, 2020 was a great year for golf, and am looking forward to further improvement in 2021.

Note: This thread is 1093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!