IGNORED

Did the WHS Change Your Handicap?

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 1562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How much did your HI change, 12 Dec 2019 to 6 Jan 2020  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How much did your HI change, 12 Dec 2019 to 6 Jan 2020

• Up 2.0 or more
    • Up 1.0 to 1.9
    • Up 0.5 to 0.9
    • between -0.4 and +0.4
    • down 0.5 to 0.9
    • down 1.0 to 1.9
    • down 2.0 or more

8.7 versus a previous 8.6, which is about what I expected.  I need to update my profile.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

honestly i can't remember what mine was at the end of the season. 9.4 maybe.  it's 9.8 now. oh well. 2020 is my year!

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

I just talked to my dad who runs a little group of super seniors playing shorter executive courses.  He told me that his own index dropped 4 points, from 23 to 19, and that virtually all of the 30-some members of his group saw similar drops.  Some as many as 6 points.

I’m going to ask for the before-and-after numbers to see if I can discover why.  Their primary course is very short, par-60 with only 6 par-4’s, but for the life of me, I don’t know why they would see such a drop.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Down from 3.1 to 2.9

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

1.6 to 1.2. Wishing for the other way....😒

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

I just talked to my dad who runs a little group of super seniors playing shorter executive courses.  He told me that his own index dropped 4 points, from 23 to 19, and that virtually all of the 30-some members of his group saw similar drops.  Some as many as 6 points.

I’m going to ask for the before-and-after numbers to see if I can discover why.  Their primary course is very short, par-60 with only 6 par-4’s, but for the life of me, I don’t know why they would see such a drop.

I'll bet you it was a drop in their course handicap and not their index. That drop is probably because you now factor course rating into the calculation for course handicap. See this post: 

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine their handicap index did not drop that much. If it did, they are certainly outliers.

• Informative 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine their handicap index did not drop that much. If it did, they are certainly outliers.

@David in FL, send me one of their names or their GHIN # or something in a PM, and I'll look at their record.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

@David in FL, send me one of their names or their GHIN # or something in a PM, and I'll look at their record.

PM sent

I’m guessing that it’s the CR factor...?

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

On 1/7/2020 at 12:54 PM, Rkrider99 said:

Actually, as a smart move, they should have rolled it out to the areas that are in their active season, and let us be the guinea pigs, and flush out the bugs. People that can't post for another 2-3 months would have a much smoother ride.

That's us. The WHS doesn't kick in here until March. It's great that all you guys are ironing the bugs out for us beforehand. 😀

6 hours ago, PlusFour said:

That's us. The WHS doesn't kick in here until March. It's great that all you guys are ironing the bugs out for us beforehand. 😀

But you'll have your own software and interface, so you'll have the potential for new and different bugs.  Hopefully there will be lessons learned and not repeated from our experiences.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

20 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I'll bet you it was a drop in their course handicap and not their index. That drop is probably because you now factor course rating into the calculation for course handicap. See this post: 

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Talked to my dad, and you’re right.  He was talking course handicap change for the up tees they play.

Makes sense now. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Talked to my dad, and you’re right.  He was talking course handicap change for the up tees they play.

Makes sense now. Thanks guys.

This is one of the positive things from using the (CR-Par) factor in determining Course Handicap, in my opinion.  At my club we have a number of guys who play regularly from the forward (senior) tees, and I'm sure we'll hear complaints when they see their Course Handicap for the first time this season.  This same set of guys, last year, would see the handicap reduction in every tournament played from mixed tees, but use their "normal" higher handicap the rest of the time.  So every tournament there would be complaining.  This year, they'll complain initially, but they'll be accustomed to that (appropriately) lowered Course Handicap when tournament time comes around.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

26 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is one of the positive things from using the (CR-Par) factor in determining Course Handicap, in my opinion.  At my club we have a number of guys who play regularly from the forward (senior) tees, and I'm sure we'll hear complaints when they see their Course Handicap for the first time this season.  This same set of guys, last year, would see the handicap reduction in every tournament played from mixed tees, but use their "normal" higher handicap the rest of the time.  So every tournament there would be complaining.  This year, they'll complain initially, but they'll be accustomed to that (appropriately) lowered Course Handicap when tournament time comes around.

Agree 100%.  It gives visibility to what was previously often misunderstood, or ignored.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

16 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

But you'll have your own software and interface, so you'll have the potential for new and different bugs.  Hopefully there will be lessons learned and not repeated from our experiences.

Hopefully yes, but practically we'll probably end up having similar issues. Computers are the same the world over. 

I have not paid my dues yet so I assume my account will be inactive until I start playing again in April. But I got an email today about my hcp under the new system and it didn’t change at all.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!