iacas

USGA/R&A Distance Insights Project

221 posts / 6959 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, lastings said:

I believe that the comparison from baseball bats to golfers switching to a different golf ball is not as easily dismissed as some of the comments in this thread are suggesting.  

You don't seem to have read my longer post re: bats, either.

I never said they were "the same" or that they didn't require a change. I acknowledged that they do.

But unlike in golf, we don't have people being "called up" from the amateur ranks several times a year to play in the World Series.

And again, a big part of why college programs have composite and metal bats is simply cost: wood bats break and thus cost quite a bit more, long term.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

You don't seem to have read my longer post re: bats, either.

I never said they were "the same" or that they didn't require a change. I acknowledged that they do.

But unlike in golf, we don't have people being "called up" from the amateur ranks several times a year to play in the World Series.

And again, a big part of why college programs have composite and metal bats is simply cost: wood bats break and thus cost quite a bit more, long term.

No, I understand both your points regarding bats.   but, in more than one post you have dismissed the wood/metal bat argument, by solely entering the BBCor argument.   which is the least significant difference between wood and metal bats.  The fact that metal bats produce greater exit velocity (or, did) is not the reason players are forced to change their approach with wood bats.   

This is also a pretty false statement regarding cost.   First off, wood bats are about $100.  Composite bats are about $400.    Breaking 4 wood bats over the course of a college season would be pretty unlikely.  Also, it's not entirely out of the question that players are using 2 or even 3 composite bats over the course of the year. (in highschool, I didn't use my game bat for practice, because they break down in time).    lets just go ahead and omit D1 schools, since most of their equipment is provided by sponsors to begin with (certainly the top teams).   But, at DIII schools, most players are buying their own bat(s).   usually at a discounted price or even at cost through the team's sponsored catalog.   I would imagine this works in a similar way for golf, but I don't really know.  

The only real argument I can really get behind is the fact that players transition from amateur to Pro to Amateur in Golf.   but, I don't give it as much weight as you do.   

Edited by lastings

17 minutes ago, lastings said:

No, I understand both your points regarding bats.   but, in more than one post you have dismissed the wood/metal bat argument, by solely entering the BBCor argument.

This is not accurate.

Most of your post is a fabrication, and no further posts from you on this are warranted, as you're clearly misreading what I've said.

I dont like the bat argument.

If there going to be any comparison maybe the full body suits for swimming from the Olympics years ago is the closest. Every swimmer had access to it....everyone's lap times increased but FINA banned them simply because people were too fast with the new tech.

Titleist (Acushnet) has issued a statement:

…we believe the conclusions drawn in this Report undervalue the skill and athleticism of the game’s very best players and focus far too much on the top of the men’s professional game and project this on golf and golfers as a whole.

Furthermore, we believe that existing equipment regulations effectively govern the prospects of any significant increases in hitting distance by the game’s longest hitters.

There's more. It's a 686-word statement. Link below.

https://www.titleist.com/distance-insights-perspective