IGNORED

Time Spent on 100 Yards In

1puttpete
Note: This thread is 1524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My current short game practice time is about 80% of my time spent on my game. In my current situation, I don't see this ever changing. 

It wasn't always this much. Back when I was healthier I probably only spent 20%-30% of my time on my short game. My long game was more important back then. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

About 30% of my time is spent on short game and putting. For 100 to 60 yards, those are 3/4 and 1/2 shots and I work on them as part of my full swing work.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Patch said:

My current short game practice time is about 80% of my time spent on my game. In my current situation, I don't see this ever changing. 

It wasn't always this much. Back when I was healthier I probably only spent 20%-30% of my time on my short game. My long game was more important back then. 

Thank you for your feedback . I'm increasing my time each week. I'm probably 60/40 right now . You inspired me to go higher. 

2 hours ago, 1puttpete said:

Do you keep track of Sandies- U& D & Putts?

Many members use Game Golf, it provides many other stats, also.
If you don't want to tag each shot, you can simply use the App for free and enter as you play.
I then review my rounds and input them into a spreadsheet to show trends / progress in categories. 

I devote time to practice when needed. If I have a trend showing too many putts from a certain distance, 
or a certain distance which shot dispersion becomes bad, I work on those aspects.
In general, I practice when I can.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

About 30% of my time is spent on short game and putting. For 100 to 60 yards, those are 3/4 and 1/2 shots and I work on them as part of my full swing work.

So would you say overall you spend over 50% fr 100 yds?

20 minutes ago, 1puttpete said:

65% Full swing and 3/4 shots, which include 60 to 100 yard wedge shots

30% chipping, pitching, sand and 30 to 60 yard shots (1/2 and 1/4 wedge)

5% putting

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to Time Spent on 100 Yards In

In season, my practice amounts to about 2 hours or a little less each week, 2 sessions of less than an hour apiece.  I spend the vast majority of that time on full swings.  I may hit a few partial wedges, but its very few.  Maybe once a month I'll spend 14 or 20 minutes chipping, and maybe about the same amount of time putting.So in 8 hours a month of actual practice, I typically spend less than an hour in short game stuff, something on the order of 10%

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, 1puttpete said:

I wouldn't be basing my practice routine on what someone on a golf forum does.

Think about your game and work out where your weaknesses are and work on them. As well as everything else.

Keeping statistics is meaningless unless you have a plan to work on different parts of your game.

Also, putting statistics are almost completely useless most of the time. As has been said a million times, a round where you have 26 putts doesn't imply  good putting unless it's a round of 63 (or something). It usually means you've been chipping or putting from just off the green and holing lots 2 and 3 footers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I follow this. If I have a glaring weakness I’ll spend more time on it, otherwise I spend most of my time practicing the full swing motion which includes my partial wedges.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

Read Lowest Score Wins.

Thanks again for your comments.  I do have an app where I keep FIR GIR PUTTS U& D 

Yes when you dont hit many GIR you will have more U & D  chances ...I value conversions & GIR the most 

Just now, 1puttpete said:

Thanks again for your comments.  I do have an app where I keep FIR GIR PUTTS U& D 

Yes when you dont hit many GIR you will have more U & D  chances ...I value conversions & GIR the most 

GIR is king.  It presupposes a good tee shot.  It gives you the chances to score.  Even a blind squirrel like me will find a nut given enough chances.  It's better to not have to rely on getting up and down.  Hit your drive as long as you can in play and hit the green.  Just go for the middle of the green, perhaps even from within 100 yards.  The middle of the green on most courses is usually a very nice spot to be.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

GIR is king.  It presupposes a good tee shot.  It gives you the chances to score.  Even a blind squirrel like me will find a nut given enough chances.  It's better to not have to rely on getting up and down.  Hit your drive as long as you can in play and hit the green.  Just go for the middle of the green, perhaps even from within 100 yards.  The middle of the green on most courses is usually a very nice spot to be.

Thx again for the comments. 

Because I'm not a long hitter I usually only get 3 GIR . So I rely on getting U & D the rest of the holes. 

Best of luck.to you . Keep it in the short grass .

9 minutes ago, 1puttpete said:

Because I'm not a long hitter

Move up a tee box or two.  No shame in that at all.

Nothing wrong with working on short game, but the long game pays plus interest and it travels to other courses, while short game is very situational in nature.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Also, putting statistics are almost completely useless most of the time. As has been said a million times, a round where you have 26 putts doesn't imply  good putting unless it's a round of 63 (or something). It usually means you've been chipping or putting from just off the green and holing lots 2 and 3 footers.

This is where a Strokes Gained Putting calculator comes in.  It doesn't lie.  

Use this tool to calculate the strokes gained metric for any round of golf. Track your putting improvement.

3 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

That's why I count "putts" as any time I use my putter, regardless of where the ball lies.  However, if off the green it doesn't count as a GIR--obviously.

That said, GIR is king.

Note: This thread is 1524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!