IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here on Long Island NY, in Suffolk county we have 19K+ people tested positive as of April 10th, don't know ow many of died. Therefore we are really sheltering in place, i.e., staying at home. However, after a few weeks at home I ventured out to the driving range keeping social distance. I swear it was like I never hit a golf ball before, really bad. So yes this virus is impacting my golf, will be really hard getting back into golf when we're allowed to, even then it will be hard just to socialize with people without the fear of being infected. Let's hope for a vaccine real quick. 

My daughter is a pharmaceutical sales rep working in the field of oncology. They have a cancer fighting drug that they are now testing in much lower dosages with the hope of killing this virus and perhaps being a vaccine, Clinical trials are taking place world wide, of course approved by the FDA here in the States. I know a lot of other companies are also working as hard as they can, let's pray they fine one that works.  

• Administrator
5 hours ago, cooke119 said:

My daughter is a pharmaceutical sales rep working in the field of oncology. They have a cancer fighting drug that they are now testing in much lower dosages with the hope of killing this virus and perhaps being a vaccine, Clinical trials are taking place world wide, of course approved by the FDA here in the States. I know a lot of other companies are also working as hard as they can, let's pray they fine one that works.  

That’s not a “vaccine.” But hopefully we find a good “treatment” soon.

Maybe that one will be the best treatment.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, iacas said:

That’s not a “vaccine.” But hopefully we find a good “treatment” soon.

Maybe that one will be the best treatment.

We sure hope it is. Is being tried as a virus fighting drug and as a vaccine. It is taken orally by pill, not a shot. We have our fingers crossed.

Got a letter that all New York State golf courses are now closed, determined to be non-essential, that sucks. I need to find out if our county courses are still open here on Long Island. But we are in a hot spot, 20K+ case in Suffolk county alone, 40K+ on the Island and they are not testing everyone.

My mother is in a nursing home, they have a number of cases where people have fever but have not been tested, they are being treated as if they have it. So far my mother doesn't have a fever but who know what the future will bring. Not allowed to visit.

Stay safe everyone and Happy Easter.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:15 PM, tehuti said:

The only golf that WAS available to me during this lockdown was our local standalone range. I tried to go over there just now and they are “closed until further notice”. So unless I want to sneak onto closed courses and risk getting arrested or sick I have nothing. 😤

Same here in New York. State courses were open but now closed. I checked County courses they are closed now too. So no golf and yes you risk of arrest if you go onto a closed course. So no golf for me.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

We sure hope it is. Is being tried as a virus fighting drug and as a vaccine.

No, please, that's mis-using the word "vaccine." That's not a "vaccine." That's my only point. It's a treatment, not a vaccine.

I hope it works.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The first tee of the golf course at work is about 1700 feet from my office.  I made it a goal to walk the 9 hole course 2-3 days every week for exercise and for fun.  I played 9 on the first Monday of March and haven't played since because the course was shut down and remains down even though golf is open in the area. I am still going to work everyday and could play other courses after work and on weekends, but I haven't because I am doing some home projects. I have however practiced a lot in the backyard and feel like I am making progress on my swing.

golf.thumb.png.ca9900960d245b1a6ac5895afe43e1b2.png

War Eagle!

On 4/11/2020 at 11:16 AM, iacas said:

No, please, that's mis-using the word "vaccine." That's not a "vaccine." That's my only point. It's a treatment, not a vaccine.

I hope it works.

Got it.

Sadly there is no money in a vaccine, however there is a ton of money in treatment. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Sadly there is no money in a vaccine, however there is a ton of money in treatment. 

I don't think that's accurate at all.

Vaccines make money for pharmaceutical companies.

It's not a LOT, and part of that's simply because the science is pretty simple and there are only a limited number of things against which you can get a vaccine… but they still make money. They're not loss-leaders, or even break-even things.

Vaccines do make money, but lets be honest on going treatments make more. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Vaccines do make money, but lets be honest on going treatments make more. 

So what's your point? A bunch of people are working on the vaccine for this.

There is money in a vaccine, and they're being developed. They take longer to develop than a treatment, and ideally few people will need the "treatment" eventually after we have the vaccine.

Since you list your location as NY, please be safe, and be well, @jmanbooyaa.

Thank you for the well wishes @iacas 

I wish you and your family the same. 

fyi.   You didn’t update the True thread. Those Masters green Originals are good looking.  

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

On 4/12/2020 at 2:36 PM, jmanbooyaa said:

Clinical trials have started this week for the treatment in America, Europe, Asia and Australia, we all hope it works, keep your fingers crossed.

• Like 2

I'm going to go out a a limb here and say that the people trying to develop a vaccine for this thing are not in it for the money.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I'm going to go out a a limb here and say that the people trying to develop a vaccine for this thing are not in it for the money.

But there will be good money to be made.  And they'll deserve it.  Hopefully everyone's insurance pays for the vaccine.  Seems like it could be made available early, prior to full testing, to those who sign a disclaimer.

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Hopefully everyone's insurance pays for the vaccine.

Hopefully, those without insurance can afford it (or have it given to them for free): the last thing you want is people not getting care for this because they can't afford it... and then infect someone else.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 4/14/2020 at 10:13 PM, billchao said:

At least for the company my daughter works for as a pharmaceutical sales rep, she knows the CEO and his wife who started the company. Their biggest expense is getting a drug to market, aside from the cost to develop the drug. As it should be the FDA requires that strict guidelines be followed.

Note: This thread is 1470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!