IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

32 minutes ago, Braivo said:

The Texas mask mandate (and all other restrictions) ended on March 10. They continue to reach new lows in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Doesn't look like a Leon Lett situation to me. 

8d1f345a-8295-4533-ac03-cfb40596f74f_114

The state's current 14-day average of new daily COVID-19 cases is 2,225. This is the lowest it has been since June 6-19 when it was 2,158.

You might want to wait a couple of weeks to see how this plays out.    

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

How’s your state doing, Leon?

Worst in the nation with some of the tightest restrictions. 

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its about more than just restrictions. Its about variants of the virus, population density, also where it originated in the country. Southern states might not get hit as much in hospitalizations due to more sunlight people having higher Vit-D levels. 

It would be absurd to bash restrictions with out taking into account every factor that plays into why the virus hits areas harder. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Braivo said:

Worst in the nation with some of the tightest restrictions. 

In other words, it’s not like “less restrictions = dropping cases.”

There are many variables at play. But in general, fewer restrictions equal more cases.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Detroit Free Press is reporting:

State health officials say 246 fully vaccinated Michiganders contracted coronavirus from January to March, and three have died. 

"These are individuals who have had a positive test 14 or more days after the last dose in the vaccine series," said Lynn Sutfin, a spokesperson for the state health department.

Some of the 246 people may ultimately be excluded from the state's tally of vaccine breakthrough cases because they may have had earlier coronavirus infections and still tested positive two weeks post immunization. 

"These cases are undergoing further review to determine if they meet other (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) criteria for determination of potential breakthrough, including the absence of a positive antigen or PCR test less than 45 days prior to the post-vaccination positive test," Sutfin said.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

A friend of mine, in his 70's, who I have breakfast with at a local restaurant, has gotten C19. He has never been vaccinated. He is healing and it doesn't sound like a severe case. I have told him many times to get the vaccine, showed/told him where it would be available to him, but he always said "maybe later".  Herd immunity seems to have started in various places, so it is common sense to get the vaccine.

https://www.jweekly.com/2021/03/15/israels-military-says-it-has-reached-herd-immunity-to-covid/

30 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The Detroit Free Press is reporting:

State health officials say 246 fully vaccinated Michiganders contracted coronavirus from January to March, and three have died. 

"These are individuals who have had a positive test 14 or more days after the last dose in the vaccine series," said Lynn Sutfin, a spokesperson for the state health department.

Some of the 246 people may ultimately be excluded from the state's tally of vaccine breakthrough cases because they may have had earlier coronavirus infections and still tested positive two weeks post immunization. 

"These cases are undergoing further review to determine if they meet other (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) criteria for determination of potential breakthrough, including the absence of a positive antigen or PCR test less than 45 days prior to the post-vaccination positive test," Sutfin said.

Edited by Billy Z

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

You should probably link the whole article, because the context is extremely important here.

0c52c16e-9da4-4734-bd4e-7bb1ac984eb2-GMF

As of Sunday, 1.8 million Michiganders were fully vaccinated, according to the state's COVID-19 vaccine dashboard

248 cases of COVID out of 1.8 million people fully vaccinated. In other words, 0.01% of all people who have been vaccinated. That is actually an incredible number, if you think about it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I agree, I should have linked the article.  Thanks.   I also agree with your point about the number being small but my post was to let other know it is a possibility even though it is slight.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, Braivo said:

The Texas mask mandate (and all other restrictions) ended on March 10. They continue to reach new lows in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Doesn't look like a Leon Lett situation to me. 

8d1f345a-8295-4533-ac03-cfb40596f74f_114

The state's current 14-day average of new daily COVID-19 cases is 2,225. This is the lowest it has been since June 6-19 when it was 2,158.

Still not great though. It would be much better if people just did their part. How many more have to die?

E90AC253-1F84-4C06-8915-E479002F586E.png

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I agree, I should have linked the article.  Thanks.   I also agree with your point about the number being small but my post was to let other know it is a possibility even though it is slight.

There’s also a difference between testing positive and truly “being infected.” Your body doesn’t kill the virus the instant it makes contact with any cell in your body.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

How many more have to die?

Well, if New Hampshire didn't already claim the state motto, "Live Free or Die" then Michigan or Texas or Florida could adopt it...

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Well, if New Hampshire didn't already claimed the state motto, "Live Free or Die" then Michigan or Texas or Florida could adopt it...

New Hampshire is doing pretty good too. They got a better jump on vaccinations than Mass did.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Its about more than just restrictions. Its about variants of the virus, population density, also where it originated in the country. Southern states might not get hit as much in hospitalizations due to more sunlight people having higher Vit-D levels. 

It does look like it's the new variant driving the surge in Michigan. The spring weather should help keep it at bay, but it's a race with the vaccine. The southern states might luck out since their weather has turned before the variant took hold. 

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

248 cases of COVID out of 1.8 million people fully vaccinated. In other words, 0.01% of all people who have been vaccinated. That is actually an incredible number, if you think about it.

This is essentially zero for statistical purposes, and it says they died "with" Covid, not necessarily of Covid. It's entirely possible many of them died of other causes while still testing positive. Either way, if the vaccine pushes the death rate to 0.01% then I'd say it's a wild success. 

BTW, I got my first shot today. Pfizer. Quick appointment at the health department. 

- Mark

12 hours ago, DeadMan said:

This is probably a "duh" study at this point, but wanted to share:

F210311YS23-2-1024x640.jpg

Just as doctors hoped, COVID shots aren’t just helping the inoculated, but also providing ‘cross-protection’ to the rest, new research finds

The more adults that get vaccinated, the less likely kids are to get the vaccine. This should be fairly obvious given what we've found out from the vaccines, but it's still good to see a study that conclude this. If enough adults get vaccinated, kids should have a normal school year next year. 

That's a misleading headline. 

A person not vaccinated does not suddenly develop immunity.  Your immunity remains the same.

Herd immunity simply means the rate of transmission is significantly decreased due to a break in transmission from person-to-person.  Sort of like a having a circuit breaker.

But individual's actual immunity remains the same.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Yukari said:

That's a misleading headline. 

I disagree.

“Vaccines shown to protect even those who don’t get them — Israeli study“

That a true statement.

• Administrator

social-share.25bfa1f6.jpg

Questions about COVID-19 vaccines’ safety have led to hesitancy for some Americans...

I definitely fell into that injection site pain. My left arm hurt for about 18 hours. I had slight fatigue that night and actually went to bed early. I also had slight chills. 

A friend of mine got the J&J shot, and he ended up getting body shaking, fever, threw up later that night. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: