IGNORED

When People Hit Into You…

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you do when and if somebody hits into you on the course? First, here’s a story from a few weeks ago:

My brother and I were playing golf with our grandpa. On the 14th hole, I had just hit my approach into the green. About five seconds after I started walking, I heard a ball land behind me. When I looked, the ball from one of the people behind us was right on my tail,  just a few yards behind me.

Luckily, one of the greenskeepers was doing some work on the 14th while this situation was unfolding, and when the group behind us got to the green, he talked to them about the situation.

Obviously, the guy didn’t listen, because on the very next hole, we were on the green. The same guy who hit into us on the 14th hit into us again on the 15th, and his ball rolled just short of the green while we were still putting. I wanted to yell something at him, but I was afraid it might provoke him.

Then, my grandpa told the guy in front of us that if the guy behind us hit into us again, he would deal with it. I think he overheard, because it didn’t happen again.

If someone hit into me once, I would just brush it off and assume it wasn’t intentional. But after the second or third instance, I would go back and say something to him. And in the rare case of repeated occurrences, I would report it. I hate people hitting into me, and it makes me feel rushed. When there’s a group in front of me, I wait until they get in their carts and drive off to hit my shot, an extra 20-30 seconds if there’s nobody behind me.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If they didn't yell fore and if our group is not out of pace, then I would look back at them and shrug my shoulder and say something like "Hey!" just to let them know they shouldn't be hitting into us.  That usually stops them from doing it again.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

13 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Obviously, the guy didn’t listen, because on the very next hole, we were on the green. The same guy who hit into us on the 14th hit into us again on the 15th, and his ball rolled just short of the green while we were still putting.

Was this a par 3, 4, or 5? and when you say "just short of the green" how far exactly does that mean? 

If I'm hitting my second shot into a par 5 and I know that the club I'm hitting has absolutely 0 chance of reaching the green, say its 250 out and I'm hitting a 5 or 6 iron, I will go ahead and hit, even if it might roll up within 20-30 yards of the green. I don't see the point in waiting for them to clear the green if I'm 100% certain my shot won't reach or come close to the green.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

Nine times out of ten, there is an immediate apology if it is a legitimate accident. We all know accidents happen and most of us have been on both ends of them. 

If there is no apology, then I make a note of it. Often, there is never a second incident. But ... On the second incident, we're going to have a discussion. I would hope to be calm and cordial (50/50 with my personality).  

If, and I've never personally experienced it, things escalate from there, the smart move is either appeal to the marshal or to head back to the pro shop before anything becomes violent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dagolfer18 said:

My brother and I were playing golf with our grandpa. On the 14th hole, I had just hit my approach into the green. About five seconds after I started walking, I heard a ball land behind me. When I looked, the ball from one of the people behind us was right on my tail,  just a few yards behind me.

Obviously, the guy didn’t listen, because on the very next hole, we were on the green. The same guy who hit into us on the 14th hit into us again on the 15th, and his ball rolled just short of the green while we were still putting. I wanted to yell something at him, but I was afraid it might provoke him.

Since both balls were behind you, you weren’t hit into...

The very few times that I was actually hit into were because I was over a rise or somehow otherwise out of sight from the players behind as I waited for the group ahead to play.  I consider that to be equally my fault as I should’ve realized that and positioned myself so I could’ve been seen.

31 minutes ago, klineka said:

Was this a par 3, 4, or 5? and when you say "just short of the green" how far exactly does that mean? 

If I'm hitting my second shot into a par 5 and I know that the club I'm hitting has absolutely 0 chance of reaching the green, say its 250 out and I'm hitting a 5 or 6 iron, I will go ahead and hit, even if it might roll up within 20-30 yards of the green. I don't see the point in waiting for them to clear the green if I'm 100% certain my shot won't reach or come close to the green.

^^^ This ^^^    30 yards may feel close, especially to a higher hcp player, but it’s a perfectly reasonable, safe play for many...

FWIW, if this were happening to me very often, the first thing that I’d do is check my own pace of play.  ;-)

Edited by David in FL
  • Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Need more info. Where the balls landed is important. If they landed 20 yards behind you and then rolled out near to where you were while you were walking, there is no issue. On the green one, you say it rolled to just short of the green. I'm going to assume the guy knew his distances and knew he couldn't fly it to the green. I've never seen anyone actually hit into a group on purpose. They may misjudge the distance the other group is or catch a ball sweeter than normal and have it roll up near but never actually endangering the group in front. 

I can't tell if the course was full or not. If it wasn't then you should have let them play through. 

• Upvote 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

(edited)
57 minutes ago, Yukari said:

If they didn't yell fore and if our group is not out of pace, then I would look back at them and shrug my shoulder and say something like "Hey!" just to let them know they shouldn't be hitting into us.  That usually stops them from doing it again.

Admittedly OT, but just wanted to say that you have always had the best avatar - love me some Megan Fox 🤤

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, Yukari said:

and if our group is not out of pace

I know you're not saying this, but the group in front of you being slow is not an excuse to hit into them. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, klineka said:

The 15th hole was a par 4, and the ball in question stopped just a foot short of the green. The balls on the 14th landed just a few yards behind us, so I was a bit concerned. It was like they hit before I even picked up my bag and started walking.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

If someone hits into me and doesn't yell fore, then I usually find a way to say to them, "next time please yell fore" and leave it at that.  Never had an issue.  99% of the time someone who hits into you is very apologetic.

Only two incidents stand out where this didn't happen: one time I was playing with my boys who were probably 10 and 14 at the time.  We were slow and I was planning on letting them pass at the turn.  Well a guy hits into us.  I turn around and stare but let it go, but it was obvious that I wasn't happy.  While we were on the green a ball flies over our heads.  I totally lost it and walked 100-150 yards down the fairway screaming at the guy that if he better not hit into my kids again and if he can't play golf safely to get the F*** off the course.  Let's just say he didn't do it again.

The other time some guys hit into us and we had a standard apology / fore conversation.  No big deal.  Two holes later while I'm standing in the middle of the fairway one of the guys comes way too close to me.  I take a few steps to his ball and his middle of fairway ball went into the woods.  Never heard from those guys again either.

This happened on an executive course in Florida. 

The guy behind me is playing really quickly because he's not putting.  Once his ball gets on the green, he just picks it up and rushes to the next tee box.  I've been watching him gain on me, and I'm planning on letting him through, because there was no one behind him, and he's playing at light speed.

I am lining up to putt when I hear a thud just a few feet right of me, and I turn to see his ball rolling across the green.  Now this is a 120 yard par three, and there is no way he didn't see me.  I'm 6'5" and was probably about 300 ell-bees at the time.  I turn and glare back at the tee and give him the "what are you doing?" with my outstretched arms, and I think he realizes that he's stepped in it, because he doesn't leave the tee box.  I roll my putt in and proceed to the next hole.  He doesn't hurry this time, so I go ahead and tee off.

I played a few more holes with no more rushing, so I figured he's learned his lesson.

I was wrong.

On a 115 yard par three over a pond, I'm lining up about a 20 foot birdie putt when I hear another thump.  The ball hits short of the green and winds up a little false front collection area.  This time, I walk over to his ball, pick it up and hold it in the air.  If it had been a decent ball, I probably would have pocketed it, but it was a Top Flite XL2000 Extra Long - seriously... I remember it vividly.  So I hold the ball up, while making eye contact, and toss it into the center of the pond. 

I calmly returned to my ball, lined it up again, and rolled it right in the center of the cup.  Not really... I missed the putt, but I made a solid par and did not see him again.  He literally turned around and replayed the previous par four again, and he was careful to not get within a few hundred yards of me.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Last time I answered this question on TST, someone labled me a thief. No big deal, as my answer is still the same. 

If someone hits into me, that being the ball flys past me, or lands really close to me. I let the first one go, and wave back at the hitter. Maybe I will wave a white towel to surrender. 

After the first time, and it happens again, I will pick up their ball. If they want it back, they can come, and ask for it back. We'll chat, and hooefully it won't happen again. 

I am not a slow player. If someone thinks I'm holding them up, it's not me. It's someone in front of me, somewhere, holding us all up.

I've been hit a few times by other golfers. Some were accidents, some where closer to intentioal. Which ever it was I remember how it felt. 

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, gbogey said:

If someone hits into me and doesn't yell fore, then I usually find a way to say to them, "next time please yell fore" and leave it at that.  Never had an issue.  99% of the time someone who hits into you is very apologetic.

Only two incidents stand out where this didn't happen: one time I was playing with my boys who were probably 10 and 14 at the time.  We were slow and I was planning on letting them pass at the turn.  Well a guy hits into us.  I turn around and stare but let it go, but it was obvious that I wasn't happy.  While we were on the green a ball flies over our heads.  I totally lost it and walked 100-150 yards down the fairway screaming at the guy that if he better not hit into my kids again and if he can't play golf safely to get the F*** off the course.  Let's just say he didn't do it again.

Why not let them through at the tee after the hole they catch you on? I'm not saying that they did the right thing, but unless this was on 9 that he hit in on fairway and over on green, it sounds like you should have already let him through. If I'm playing with a group and we see a single behind we just wait at the next box and let them go. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Why not let them through at the tee after the hole they catch you on? I'm not saying that they did the right thing, but unless this was on 9 that he hit in on fairway and over on green, it sounds like you should have already let him through. If I'm playing with a group and we see a single behind we just wait at the next box and let them go. 

When I let golfers play through I always let them know I'm looking close at their swing and their result, and will be personally be doing a swing critique and joking about their swing with my playing partners.  Isn't that our worst nightmare when we play through someone???

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Sorry but no - no matter how slow someone is it isn't right to hit into them like that.  One of my kids could easily have been killed.  

I looked back previously to wave them through but they weren't paying attention.  They were only on our tails for 2-3 holes max.  I don't remember but there were at least 3 guys behind us.  When I was screaming at the guy who hit the shot the other guys were like, "we don't know him."  And yes, the shot that flew over us was on the 9th green.

10 minutes ago, gbogey said:

One of my kids could easily have been killed. 

Do you honestly think this? If so, how in the world do you go golfing? Less than 1 person per year is killed by a golf ball. Spectators get hit all the time at pro events. Get real. 

I still don't condone hitting into people but you are acting like hes randomly shooting bullets out of a rifle at you. It may be more likely for you to win the powerball than die from a golf ball. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Patch said:

Last time I answered this question on TST, someone labled me a thief. No big deal, as my answer is still the same. 

If someone hits into me, that being the ball flys past me, or lands really close to me. I let the first one go, and wave back at the hitter. Maybe I will wave a white towel to surrender. 

After the first time, and it happens again, I will pick up their ball. If they want it back, they can come, and ask for it back. We'll chat, and hooefully it won't happen again. 

I am not a slow player. If someone thinks I'm holding them up, it's not me. It's someone in front of me, somewhere, holding us all up.

I've been hit a few times by other golfers. Some were accidents, some where closer to intentioal. Which ever it was I remember how it felt. 

I strongly disagree with the thief label given these circumstances. I believe that's the proper way to handle that situation and it forces that person to approach you face to face for a talk. 

As for letting people through, if I'm the issue I will stand in a safe spot off to the side and wave them through. Then hit our approach and putt out. They get through on the very next hole. 

Note: This thread is 1478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!